What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (33 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That looks a lot better than the first pic of 11.5 :beer:
JP

Based on my current elevation 15 inhg might be a good reading, on the low end of that good reading, but still good.

New tires, powder-coated the original riveted wheels, and stuck on @Speedsail2001's great stainless repro acorn hubs.
The tires the truck came with were from '98 and hard as a rock. These drive great on pavement; looking forward to lightly treading on trails.

IMG_6885.JPG

@John in Utah That is absolutely beautiful scenery!! Where is that?

@John in Utah That is absolutely beautiful scenery!! Where is that?

Fins & Things trail just outside Moab.
AB7F8DCC-B232-46F6-8EE1-63C5FF29B227.jpeg

Nice. Where are you located? J/k.

Seemed like a good username at the time, but now if my spouse and I ever talk of moving I have to say “nope sorry, has to be within state lines or my MUD profile won’t make sense” :flipoff2:

[Finally] replaced the broken aftermarket speedometer cable with an OEM cable.

Ever since I've owned the truck the speedometer was always quite bouncy, especially above 30KPH (it would bounce back and forth ±20KPH). The cable finally broke last fall and I ordered a replacement from Amayama. Installed it this weekend and went for a test drive. Couldn't believe how steady the needle was!! I shouldn't have waited for the old one to break.

[Finally] replaced the broken aftermarket speedometer cable with an OEM cable.

Ever since I've owned the truck the speedometer was always quite bouncy, especially above 30KPH (it would bounce back and forth ±20KPH). The cable finally broke last fall and I ordered a replacement from Amayama. Installed it this weekend and went for a test drive. Couldn't believe how steady the needle was!! I shouldn't have waited for the old one to break.

I have an aftermarket as well, and have this problem exactly!! ive been checking, double checking, and triple checking connections. I even tore into the speedometer to look for potential problems! ill be ordering one myself now!!!!

Fins & Things trail just outside Moab.
View attachment 1885678

Seemed like a good username at the time, but now if my spouse and I ever talk of moving I have to say “nope sorry, has to be within state lines or my MUD profile won’t make sense” :flipoff2:

Whatever. Johnny Utah can live wherever he wants.

Utah 2.jpg

Back on the road after managing to buy a rear cab, doors and roof off a guy who had imported it in from Australia and found it would not fit his early model truck (this truck is a 1984 one of the last in New Zealand). The had to cut out the rust and make new panels and weld them in. Repairing rear ambulances doors was a bit of a challenge. The I prepped and
FJ40 A.jpg
FJ40 B.jpg
FJ40 headlining 2.jpg
FJ40 internal.jpg
repainted to match colour. Fitted new headlining and roof etc. All ready to go. This has took a while, but glad I took the time and did it myself. Squirted cavity wax in all the doors and panels prior to assembly, rotated them all every which way to get good coverage, bit messy, but again will be a long time before these rust.

Hey All, I’m back from AWOL! Can’t say I did a damn thing today other than crack open a Coldsmoke after work.
Yesterday I drilled out 6 broken bolts and tapped the holes...getting ready to refurb the roof and side panels.
I had to give up the rig last month, which was sorely missed while Maxwell’s Silver Hammer did a fine job cutting out and installing the bushwackers and running boards not to mention welding a new kicker panel and straighten/bondo a fender. Great to have it back, looking better than ever if I may say...now to get that roof done...and paint..and weatherstrip..and...and...and...

20379F41-9A54-40E4-B23B-5602251851FA.jpeg

018A768E-52B5-4A0F-9567-7C877C56DBD0.jpeg

Hey All, I’m back from AWOL! Can’t say I did a damn thing today other than crack open a Coldsmoke after work.
Yesterday I drilled out 6 broken bolts and tapped the holes...getting ready to refurb the roof and side panels.
I had to give up the rig last month, which was sorely missed while Maxwell’s Silver Hammer did a fine job cutting out and installing the bushwackers and running boards not to mention welding a new kicker panel and straighten/bondo a fender. Great to have it back, looking better than ever if I may say...now to get that roof done...and paint..and weatherstrip..and...and...and...

View attachment 1886222

View attachment 1886223

I sure didn’t see your rig anywhere last weekend on the way up to Lolo pass!

We need to meet up in Stevi soon for a cold one!

Over the last couple of weeks, I’ve been busy buttoning a few things up on the ‘76 Forty. The forty was running cool(125*F), removed the thermostat housing and found the thermostat was upside down. Replaced with a new one, and its now heating up to 175*F.

Next up I replaced the engine, transmission, transfer case and rear differential oils.
New: oil filter, spark plugs and alternator belt.

Figured out that I was experiencing vapor lock. Couldn’t go more than a 5 or so miles before the symptoms kicked in and that was mostly only on the highway. I vented the cap and have had no issues. Drove about 35miles on the highway, no problem. Fingers crossed I can now start to drive and enjoy it.

Lastly, I went with some 33x10.5r15 BFG KM3’s, recently powder coated the steelies at LS($33/wheel).
I’ll throw the hub caps on after a few days of driving as is.
A336C8C3-A859-4C3A-8E53-3E54549ED8D0.jpeg
07A1D88D-5DD3-4F19-AD29-FFBED49300A4.jpeg
A0FEF62F-D91E-4124-8375-05656FDB1B88.jpeg
DD289F8F-1279-4876-9029-03E9FE1B1453.jpeg

Kept plugging along on my heater/blower freshen up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom