What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (39 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Starting to look like a Land Cruiser again. But looking better than it has looked in over 50 years.

img_1334-jpg.1793277

Starting to look like a Land Cruiser again. But looking better than it has looked in over 50 years.

img_1334-jpg.1793277
That is absolutely gorgeous. Congrats.

Ah grasshopper. Not true. I love Patina but I dislike chaos. My truck was (still is) chaos.

I matched the rest of the truck to the original nasty doors and hood. I rattle bombed it so it won’t take long for it all to blend in nicely.

Didn’t paint this beauty

View attachment 1792978
Rolled the Warthog out of the shop after 3.5 weeks.

It got paint. A new roof rack. A stereo. Sound deadening. Cleaned up engine area and an Old Man Emu suspension.

View attachment 1792976

What did you use for sound deadening
Rolled the Warthog out of the shop after 3.5 weeks.

It got paint. A new roof rack. A stereo. Sound deadening. Cleaned up engine area and an Old Man Emu suspension.

View attachment 1792976

Looks like a pair of engine stands tied together to make a tub rotisserie. I figure I could make one starting with a couple of engine stands... well in theory if my tub wasn’t rebuilt out of 1/8” steel.

Actually, a never used as built rotisserie. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the only one in Juneau. Bought it from a friend restoring his old Bronco who decided to have a shop do his body. Even though I am trying to avoid a frame off, I know one of us will need it and decided to keep it in the family, so to speak.

I’m in no hurry... just trying to keep making progress. My one piece of advice is to decide what you want in the end and plan the path to get there.
"In no hurry...."

It's not the destination but the journey right @bikersmurf @RWBeringer4x4 @oldschool4wheeling ? I don't know what I'd do if I finished both trucks. Therefore, I will take bikerSmurfs path of 27 years methinks.

I think you meant to drop that off at my place. I’ve got a split hood and reproduction hood spear that’d go great with it.

JK

Keep the pictures coming... if it looks 1/2 as good as I think it will, I may just have to paint my 40 that code of blue rather than the darker OEM blue I’d been leaning towards.

It was originally red, but the misses thinks there are too many red trucks. Original sailed long ago, so I’m not worried about that. Blue would also work better with the company colours and logos. It is our only vehicle that’s not wrapped. Perhaps I’ll wrap it in a solid colour before painting it... on another forum it sounds like materials would only cost a couple hundred bucks. If it lasted five years or so it’d be money well spent. If I had extra material any damage could be replaced easily.

You should consult @Rainman as he is starting to wrap vehicles. He may can give you advice there.

20180919_184921.jpg
20180919_184847.jpg
20180919_184824.jpg
Had a deer jump off an embankment into my fully restored 78 FJ40, nearly running me over. Took me 4 years to restore this, not happy. Now I'm looking for a really good shape 78-84 windshield frame.
20180919_184921.jpg
20180919_184847.jpg
20180919_184824.jpg

Autch! But you have been lucky, not much damage at all after the windshield. Why new windshield frame, is it bent so badly? I can’t see... I’d rather straighten that one.

You should consult @Rainman as he is starting to wrap vehicles. He may can give you advice there.

I’ve have two wrapped vehicles, so I’m quite familiar with the drill. I’ve done little myself but watched both wraps some.

View attachment 1793879 View attachment 1793880 View attachment 1793882 Had a deer jump off an embankment into my fully restored 78 FJ40, nearly running me over. Took me 4 years to restore this, not happy. Now I'm looking for a really good shape 78-84 windshield frame.View attachment 1793879 View attachment 1793880 View attachment 1793882

My windshield frame was bent far worse than that from a low hanging branch I failed to see on the trail. Fixed it in 2 hours with a few c clamps, some straight pieces of thick steel, touch up paint and a bit of effort. Had a new windshield cut and installed for $125 locally and was back in the game. Give it a try and good luck!

Made some pretty awesome electric power windows, this was NOT easy, actually almost impossible. took 2 days of planning and fabrication

Click the pic and it'll take you to the video ...

IMG_9624 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

Tease :D

Where’s the write up?
Do you think it could be done on the thinner 74 and earlier doors?

I’ve looked at that style of power windows for my other rig.

Here is a fun one for keeping to OEM parts. I put a Napa slave cylinder on my 79 with the pin that came with it (on the left). I figured its a little smaller than the OEM one (on the right) but it should be fine.

Wrong. After a couple days, the nut on the smaller pin shot through the hole in the arm on the clutch and I had to start the 40 and drive it home in first gear.

If you ever want to look like a loser. Start your cruiser while its in first gear with no clutch at a Starbucks.

I took it to Napa and they said I should have bought the better quality slave cylinder.

THE HELL.

0920182138b.jpg

Tease :D

Where’s the write up?
Do you think it could be done on the thinner 74 and earlier doors?

I’ve looked at that style of power windows for my other rig.

Bikersmurf ... Not a chance on the earlier doors, we BARELY got the Electric Life flat glass kit to fit without modifications to the kit itself and the inside of the door panel.

I will be posting a write up in my build once I finish them off with the custom panels and handles are complete

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom