What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this doesn't happen again:
View attachment 1705824

I had this body work done:

View attachment 1705825

As added extra insurance I did this today:
View attachment 1705826
1 1/2" square tubing I drilled for the bolts. I expected the old bolts to put up a fight but they didn't.

Sharp eyed individuals will notice two different lengths of bolts. The counterman at the auto hardware store gave me 2 - 2" and 2 - 1 3/4" bolts without me noticing. In the end they all worked well.
I probably missed an earlier post that had the information; how much lift do you have and what size tires are you running?

2 1/2" Pro Comp lift and 33x12.50R15 Pro Comp tires.

Rides better although a little stiffer but the body roll has all but gone away. A good investment I believe.

Last edited:
Another week, another weekend in southern Utah.

Got my 4plusproducts bumper installed finally with a warn M8000 I picked up in the classifieds. The powdercoat looks a little too good and is gonna need some scratches to match its surroundings - but it's a great upgrade over the stock pitted chrome bumper. The bezel-bling stays though :flipoff2:

_DSC0647.JPG

IMG_1661.jpg

_DSC0504.JPG

Original paint has polished up nicely!!

123_1.jpeg
hood.jpeg

and the last. The PO really used some nasty stuff to fill in the rot. White gummy.Yuck. Then he covered it with rubber sheet goods of some type.

View attachment 1705181

View attachment 1705182

View attachment 1705183

View attachment 1705184

Funny those spots all look similar to what I dealt with. I used a ton of seam sealer in cab and underneath, and Corroseal Rust Treatment on all those seams. I kept applying treatment til it ran out on the floor. Then I knew I had it all the way though. Then epoxy primer, seam sealer, and paint. Hopefully, it doesn't come back for a while. Also, seam seal you new floor pans in underneath. I think the lack of proper sealing on these rigs contributed to them being rust buckets.

Started working on my 3/76 with a 78 2F engine. Working on getting the engine to turn over manually first, and then with the starter, and hopefully running soon. All the pieces for the radiator, cooling lines, etc. are in. Have the 46mm socket to try and turn it over by hand before engaging the starter. Have oil, filter, oil pressure sensor, everything to button up the engine and see if she starts after 15 years of being idle in my various garages. Should be exciting.

Hope you had something cold and tasty waiting on you (when you returned home of course!) since it had to be 5 O’clock by that time :cheers::beer::beer::beer:

Well of course me & the Dogs both had some good ol cool water sense we still had to drive on the black top thru town to get back home. have to take the dogs out early these days sense it`s starting to heat up. But another week and we pack up and head north for a bit then over to the Oregon coast for the summer and maybe even stumble across a few 40 parts on the way.
JP

The odometer moved for the first time in 3 years today!

I broke in the new 350 for a half hour moving between 2000 and 3000rpm last week. This week was spent bolting up the rest of the driveline - rebuilt driveshafts, bumpers, etc.

Today I took it out for an 8 mile spin with open headers (well, it has a y-pipe technically) and ran it through some acceleration and decelerations.

The good:

- no major leaks to speak of
- clutch seems to function well - though this new low profile assembly will take some getting used to. Pedal is SOOO light.
- plenty of power - not noticably more gutsy than the 283 but MUCH smoother.
- oil pressure is about 20psi hot, at idle. Climbs to 60 when cold or when moving.
-temperatures all stayed reasonable - 190ish at idle, 175ish when driving, 220ish immediately after shutdown.

The bad:

- steering is a bit off center and wonky, which makes sense given that I modified the Saginaw box mount slightly.

-minor driveline vibration I’ll need to track down.

- POSSIBLE rod knock (which would be very bad) but given the open exhaust exiting right at my feet - I suspect it’s the exhaust. More on that to follow.

Given that this truck was built by an idiot (me) everything went pretty well. My only concern is I heard what MIGHT be a knock when I got back from the test drive. I strongly suspect it’s the open headers or an exhaust leak somewhere, a stethoscope didn’t pick up anything - but I won’t know more until I get some exhaust on it and I can actually hear.

Sure does look (and feel) good having it mostly back together again - hopefully it survived break-in

View attachment 1705966
Looking good

Another week, another weekend in southern Utah.

Got my 4plusproducts bumper installed finally with a warn M8000 I picked up in the classifieds. The powdercoat looks a little too good and is gonna need some scratches to match its surroundings - but it's a great upgrade over the stock pitted chrome bumper. The bezel-bling stays though :flipoff2:

View attachment 1706029
View attachment 1706050

View attachment 1706030
Which arch is that? I'll have to visit.

BTW, have you traversed the Black Hole of lower White Canyon? A must-do adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom