What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

more photos

IMG-3827.JPG

IMG-3829.JPG

IMG-3830.JPG

IMG-3831.JPG

Steal!.....You'll like them!

View attachment 1705767

Not going to lie GA Architect, You've given me a lot of great ideas. I've watched your build and have a major man crush on your Fj40. I'm hoping to do a lot of the same things. Thanks for the insight. Let's just hope I can get mine close to where yours is condition wise.

fj40.jpg

Nice! Which seats are these? Do they require a special mount or will they bolt right in?
I need to upgrade to something m ore comfortable for longer trips.

See post #17 & #19 -> Front Seats

So this doesn't happen again:
DSCN0615.JPG

I had this body work done:

DSCN0619.JPG

As added extra insurance I did this today:
DSCN0622.JPG

1 1/2" square tubing I drilled for the bolts. I expected the old bolts to put up a fight but they didn't.

Sharp eyed individuals will notice two different lengths of bolts. The counterman at the auto hardware store gave me 2 - 2" and 2 - 1 3/4" bolts without me noticing. In the end they all worked well.

Double cardan at the TC from Tom Woods Drive Shafts. I can only say good things about their service and quality. Recommended 100%.

So rig is off to the digital alignment shop tomorrow morning and, with any luck, I should pick it up tomorrow. My mechanic has driven my rig more than I have (since I brought it to him almost immediately after buying it); all good since I want a good shake down of vehicle with all the deferred maintenance and other work that has been done to it ($$$$$). He mentioned something to the effect that I will now like driving it a full highway speed. Full highway speed!!!!!? if you are going that fast you are going too fast--better keep it at no more than 65--preferably 60. Besides, pretty loud with no top and new magnaflow anyway.

The odometer moved for the first time in 3 years today!

I broke in the new 350 for a half hour moving between 2000 and 3000rpm last week. This week was spent bolting up the rest of the driveline - rebuilt driveshafts, bumpers, etc.

Today I took it out for an 8 mile spin with open headers (well, it has a y-pipe technically) and ran it through some acceleration and decelerations.

The good:

- no major leaks to speak of
- clutch seems to function well - though this new low profile assembly will take some getting used to. Pedal is SOOO light.
- plenty of power - not noticably more gutsy than the 283 but MUCH smoother.
- oil pressure is about 20psi hot, at idle. Climbs to 60 when cold or when moving.
-temperatures all stayed reasonable - 190ish at idle, 175ish when driving, 220ish immediately after shutdown.

The bad:

- steering is a bit off center and wonky, which makes sense given that I modified the Saginaw box mount slightly.

-minor driveline vibration I’ll need to track down.

- POSSIBLE rod knock (which would be very bad) but given the open exhaust exiting right at my feet - I suspect it’s the exhaust. More on that to follow.

Given that this truck was built by an idiot (me) everything went pretty well. My only concern is I heard what MIGHT be a knock when I got back from the test drive. I strongly suspect it’s the open headers or an exhaust leak somewhere, a stethoscope didn’t pick up anything - but I won’t know more until I get some exhaust on it and I can actually hear.

Sure does look (and feel) good having it mostly back together again - hopefully it survived break-in

F6F894C5-CBDA-40D0-9D65-0AEA8D81314B.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom