What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

THAT seems to be the preferred color... My wheel project is still wearing primer while I debate which of the half dozen shades of gray to apply!

Thanks... your wheels look terrific ;)
@imyahucklbrry I think you will be happy with the smoke gray, I love the way mine turned out! BTW I am applying Top Coat to my gutters over the Dicor-man it has been thirty days and I swear that stuff is still flexible, AND I am in Arizona. Have a super weekend bud!!!

Must be wheel week. Got some 16" wheels from cityracer, prepped and painted them. New tires next week.

20170505_112929.jpg

You can edit your posts.
Yeah, but I couldn't get the edit function to come up on my mobile app, still don't know why that happened. Done now.

@imyahucklbrry I think you will be happy with the smoke gray, I love the way mine turned out! BTW I am applying Top Coat to my gutters over the Dicor-man it has been thirty days and I swear that stuff is still flexible, AND I am in Arizona. Have a super weekend bud!!!

Let me know how the top comes out... sort of thinking I may do the outside of mine now!

Good weekend to you as well!

Target Color
Target
It's here!
On the ground
Going Home
My Aqualu 3/4 aluminum tub was delivered 5/4/17, it took the Canadians 3 days to transport it half across the continent and the Americans took 10 days to transport it from Chicago to Maine.
My first impression of the 4005 tub is well made but there are non-advertised characteristics that the buyer really needs to pay attention to (which I did not do) one is that the lower front doors will overlap the door sills, there are no bevels made into the door sills for the door to be flush with the body same for the hard top sides. The second is that stainless steel fasteners are provided but with no option for metric fasteners only SAE fasteners are provided by Aqualu. A 4055 lower half door swing out tailgate was purchased and Aqualu installed it on the body at no extra charge (but didn't use recommended gaskets between the steel and aluminum). The third is the installation DVD that was provided, for me many questions were not addressed, but I'm sure I can figure them out. The suggestion to use a hammer to bend the transmission hump to make it fit was either in humor or disconcerting, for a company that's advertised so much now I would think a more professional and comprehensive installation DVD is warranted (call me old fashioned).

14 years ago I did a wheels up restoration for a 78 starting with 3-78 basket cases, a 71 and 63. Up here the road salt destroys vehicles and most certainly FJ40s. The only rust free body that I could find was a 67 from Arizona offered by Cruiserparts in New Hampshire. Using the 67 body on a 78 chassis and fitting all other 78 body parts on it wasn't hard. Modifications were headers, power steering, de-smog, 50A IR alternator and Weber carburetor. Using mostly used parts, new gaskets and seals I figure it cost me between $5000-6000. with an equal labor cost. This year, after watching the cost of FJ40 parts skyrocket I can see it will probably, at least, double the restoration cost.

The new target color will be 6V7, Skydog has helped me with the project target using computer software. I have a 78 cowling left over and it needs some work, mainly the under carriage on the drivers side as the cross channel that mounts to the frame is rusted away. A friend and fellow cruiser owner owns a company called Sherman's Coachworks and he will help me mate the Aqualu to the 78 cowl and I'll soon have a complete 78 body to replace the 67 (minus the aluminum tub for all you purists'). We will use zinc chromate, epoxy primer, Raptor or Monstaliner on the undercarriage, and two stage 6V7 paint on the interior and exterior body with a low gloss clear coat. Sherman's a professional car restorer and painter, should come out pretty good.

I will post my progress on this thread.

Last edited:
Jt cruiser grey. I know, it is pricey and the can isn't super high quality, but by the time I check four different places and buy several shades that don't look right I will be close to the crazy shipping price!

Ton of truth in that... I'd be a excellent example of too many shades!

Amazing, when you remove the junk yard V6 spark module in your V8 and replace it with a new one FOR a V8 it runs a lot better! And it doesn't think the engine is knocking all the time and thus doesn't advance the :censor: out of the timing! :doh:

@jasonbraswell sorry bud thats all I have. How ever I do have an extensive collection of salvage screws and there could be a few in there. If you want to ride over after next Saturday's meeting to see what you can find you would be welcome.

FedEx dropped this off today - 1978 era Warn 8274 for my FJ40. Excited about getting this beast mounted!

042817_Warn8274.jpg
Cleaned and QC'd the 8274 today, then mounted the beast.

050617_8274_mounted.jpg

Another batch of panels glossing out after 3 coats. Planning to shoot the interior of the tub tomorrow afternoon (hopefully). The booth will need to get slightly dismantled and then put back together in order to get the tub in there. After that just small parts - hinges, soft door frames, etc.

Digging those straps! @jvincig01 where did you gettem?

I'm plugging away at the current wiring project. In addition to the 3FE and its additional circuits to run the ECU and ancillary engine sensors, I'm adding the following stuff:

Hi/Lo headlight relays
Daytime running lights
Proportional brake controller
Dakota Digital HDX Instrument Panel
-GPS altitude, compass, ambient air temp, fuel rail pressure, and wide band O2 sensor
Old Air Hurricane air conditioning
Cruise Control
Power door locks and keyless entry
Dakota Digital power windows
Seat heaters
CREE LED rear reverse lights
Pollak fuel switching valve
Primary and auxiliary in-tank fuel pumps and senders synchronized to carling tank selector switch through 5-pin relay (fun).
ARB On-board air compressor

I've been bench testing the entire harness on the floor in my office:
51484812215__6D6AADC6-EE2E-4FE1-B365-1D38E82F5135.JPG

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to route this mass of wiring under a very limited amount of dash space:

51572486385__8B0C4548-5714-40F7-B77F-D6D4A79DE80A.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom