What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All:

Fun thread, looks like some folks have been busy! :beer:

Over the last 2 or 3 weekends I have been working on a front suspension modification.

I've assembled some hybrid OME spring packs by using the top two leaves from OME14 rear 40 Series springs with the bottom three leaves of the OME13 front springs (Why? Because the OME14 main leaf is longer and has an higher arch than the OME13 main leaf.)

I installed these hybrid spring packs in a "flipped" way to move the front axle forward. Now my FJ40 has a 100 inch wheelbase! :grinpimp: (The rear axle was moved back last winter using "drilled and flipped" OME 60 Series rear leaf springs.)

I have also cut-off the stock front shock towers and installed some junkyard Ford shock towers forward on the frame rails to suit the new position of the front axle. A buddy came over on Sunday afternoon and helped me measure for shock absorbers. So now I just need to order some new shocks! :D

What am I doing on the rig in January? Working on the electrical system! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

"Jias Dad," welcome aboard! :)

Sounds like been busy with your "new" rig so far! :cheers:

Good luck!

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new here so be gentle, I may not speak the mechanical lingo very well.

77 FJ40- Where to start? Installed New Rancho 5000 shocks, new tie-rod, new ball ends, new steering dampeners, new brakes all the way around with a rear disc brake conversion, new plugs, plug wires, distributor, cap and points. Bought this rig from a guy in Georgetown, Ky. who had pretty much trashed it. But for my first, I like what I have. Still have a lot more to do when money becomes available.:)

3 weeks ago I installed new BFG All Ts 33x12.50x15

I have not done much to my fj40, other then relocated all my junk in one pile. I had some at my parent's garage and some in storage....and I'm still not done. Does that count?:)

I rolled mine and cracked my t-case as well (not the same incident) also believe I did a little engine damage . Almost made it up the first hill climb on a trail called Fungi but it got the better of me . I did make it up the second one though and I do believe I am the first.

Well, I finally tracked down the wiring issue for my interior dome light. This was a major accomplishment for me as I have no electrical skills. Looking forward to the extra light for those early morning duck hunts!

I also replaced the right front turn signal. Original one was all banged to hell. It blinked, but the bracket the PO rigged to hold it upright finally gave way and it was missing several parts. Cruiser looks much better with out the turn signal sagging over.

Well, I finally tracked down the wiring issue for my interior dome light. This was a major accomplishment for me as I have no electrical skills. Looking forward to the extra light for those early morning duck hunts!

I also replaced the right front turn signal. Original one was all banged to hell. It blinked, but the bracket the PO rigged to hold it upright finally gave way and it was missing several parts. Cruiser looks much better with out the turn signal sagging over.

Not a thing. I haven't touch it in over 2 months recovering from an arm surgery. Have all the parts, just need to get the 350 together, then mock up the install, weld the brackets and measure for driveshafts. Probably about twos weeks of work if I stay focused.

Last week... finished dissasembling it, cutting it up and throwing the body in the trailer for the dump... tore apart the engine, found a hole in it. Threw a rod.... ordered a 46mm socket for the cam pulley.... and will scrap that tooo... Just sick lately so cant get the trailer on the wife's 60 to take to scrap.

Received a BestTop 'SuperTop' & new shackles, greasable pins, bushings, and SS brakelines. Now I just need a little extra time.......

In the process of rebuilding the tub on my 77'. Just welded in the new quarters. 3/16 plate, should take a while for these to rot out!

Last edited:
I committed to my 55 frame off and started the teardown. I've owned it for almonst 20 years and it's time. Front fenders, everything but the motor in from of the firewall. I'm planning a coil/link mod, and need to engine weight to see where it's going to sit. I'll tack it and then take out its heart. Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. Anyone fill me in on the procedure?

Pat
Carlsbad, CA

Adjusted my clutch and clutch fingers, took about 4 or five attempts to get it right. Then I replaced a rear DS u-joint which took about 4 hours to pound out. As i was puting the new one in I broke my vice and had to go to may dad's to get it the rest of the way done. Not too much fun here but it sure drives nice now.

Pulled the Transfer case, cleaned it and started rebuilding it. Also got the engine and trans ready to be pulled.

Going to screw the pooch royale imho

Hi All:

"Landcruisnman," buy a Silver Star ($20.) The $$ go to support this site, and you get unlimited photo posting privileges.

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------
Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. Anyone fill me in on the procedure?

Pat
Carlsbad, CA

Took off this morning but couldnt get past 35 mph without the engine coughing and spitting so I rolled in to the friendly local auto parts store (flaps) and changed the pecan sized fuel filter for a plum size fuel filter....Its amazing how giving an engine what it needs makes it work better...:doh:

on the 62 I installed the headlight on buzzer mod, installed the rallylights.com headlight upgrade kit and think I have it figured out after 5 hours of figuring,, installed georges LEDs front and rear
installed second battery tray
traced hot wire and unknown from engine compartment to around the fuse panel
figured out a lot of future mods>>>stock engine compartment wiring block, fog lamps, researched seats and front and rear custom bumpers, leds for rear lift gate, rear fuse panel, new wires to electric locks and windows, started claim for new windshield, moved cb and prepared for new gauges, planned how to remove rear heater and install a safe box, semi planned for light (on visor and ) light and switch in consol

ive been busy on the cruisers lately, (rebuilt front axel installed locker, rewired a bunch of stuff, new plugs/filters, fluids, custom battery cables, ss braided brake lines, all new brakes etc) but the last week has been the slowest in cruiser work for a while

got the 40 running and ordered a timing light, and analyzer,
tracked down coil electrical issues, took out the jacobs, and reinstalled the stock starting stuff
installed a gear reduction starter

did a bunch of research about relays and how to rewire my winches

ordered 12 hubface bolts and a horn pin ,,, for the 62

had a good time working on my favorite vehicles.... VERY satisfying

Swept the snow off of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom