What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice!

You probably already know; those front shackles are upside down.
Crawled under it today. Leafs are swapped front and back. Which is probably causing the squat. I'll move them this weekend and flip the shackles over correctly. That should level me out. Shackles seem a little large for me. May get some smaller ones to get it down to a 2 inch lift height

Added back seats to “Dusty”. Original plan was to install a set of Mitsubishi Montero 3rd row folding jump seats. Didn’t have much luck finding them at a decent price. Instead I found a set of 3rd row Mitsubishi Outlander folding seats at the local “you pull parts” out of a wrecked 19. I bolted them in and now I have a set of seats that are out of the way until it’s time for an “ice cream” run. I will eventually fab up a bracket to fold them up out of the way. Of course it will be when I get bored and have nothing better to do.
I still need to install the 3pt seat belts, hopefully over the next two weeks and this will be checked off of the list.

View attachment 2722883

View attachment 2722884
I like the head rests. They look safe.

Don't know which addition I like more....the 4Plus swing out or the Cruiser Outfitters decal.
PXL_20210708_031444427.jpg

PXL_20210708_031452925.jpg

This one is in the shop for a knuckle job.

C92BE1A9-518B-46EE-A06B-2A6EFA848238.jpeg

I got a really cool story on it today. The short story is, this was always a California Cruiser until in came to Boise about 10yrs ago. The PO worked in the mining industry, perhaps gold mining. This was his DD. One day it was on the job site and the dynamite they had rigged blew a bit bigger than expected. This blew debris all over the LHS of the Cruiser and caused this rash in the paint.

1A09549A-6887-4B61-88B4-10EC6516CC0F.jpeg

ECF4C118-1D0F-4A6B-A09E-211EBC607FE5.jpeg

I think it is a super cool story and I would never change a single thing with this patina. 😆

Cheers

Hot and humid most of the day, but got some productive garage time nevertheless...

Finally got the Retrosound radio installed... also finished up installing the interior side of the Vintage Air a/c... I left the original fan switch to power the rear heater.

Also installed a Midland GMRS radio. Mounted the main unit inside the center arm rest, which gives it a clean look.

Also added a cable to support the arm rest lid when it’s open to take some stress off the hinge. This has been on my to-do list for a long time...
43C6E1B3-2397-4D04-9CA3-0B5084728C5A.jpeg
A60942FB-DEE1-4D1D-9D77-5DBCB0C0C5C6.jpeg
9FDFF6A1-FFBB-4661-B7DF-79F063BC092C.jpeg
0B940EC4-5762-4CA5-8590-AFDF4321EB23.jpeg
76778CFC-F32D-4F73-AF04-1CB510DD811F.jpeg

The engine bay remains empty in a hold pattern for now as Cam rebuilds the engine. Hopefully a few more weeks and we’ll be ready to rock n roll...

Last edited:
Hot and humid most of the day, but got some productive garage time nevertheless...

Finally got the Retrosound radio installed... also finished up installing the interior side of the Vintage Air a/c... I left the original fan switch to power the rear heater.

Also installed a Midland GMRS radio. Mounted the main unit inside the center arm rest, which gives it a clean look.

Also added a cable to support the arm rest lid when it’s open to take some stress off the hinge. This has been on my to-do list for a long time...View attachment 2727612View attachment 2727623View attachment 2727624View attachment 2727626View attachment 2727627

The engine bay remains empty in a hold pattern for now as Cam rebuilds the engine. Hopefully a few more weeks and we’ll be ready to rock n roll...
If I could suggest another retro sound face plate, you might be happier with the look. Mine was like that until it bothered me enough then I bit the bullet and bought some new knobs and better fitting face plate. It looks good as is, but I think you'd like the better fit and knobs if you were willing to spend the dumb amount they want to charge for a faceplate and knobs. Again it's just a suggestion, but I do love the retro sound functionality either way.
Here's my before and after.
1625979925380.png

1625979974747.png

I’ve got my truck ready for the registration. It happened at Friday 9/7 after many years of what to do with my truck. I’ve got fed up many times and almost given it up. Now I’m super happy and can enjoy driving with my truck at last. Though I have made some adjustments after I got home. I have removed the too big bumper in front and adjusted a little with my Lincoln Electric mig🤔
I think it’s better after…..?
Tell me if not 🙄
Here in Europe we have 16” wheels as original and the original tire size is Imperial 7.50-16 in metric only numbers 190/100-16, the nearest is 235/85-16
Though I have a set with 17” wheels I like to have for show off and thinking of 305/65-70-17 maybe 🤔 what do you think guys?

832BB3CF-9C7A-4598-A7DF-231714F4D0B5.jpeg

76143B36-A6DD-4973-B000-3EC2033C66BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got my truck ready for the registration. It happened at Friday 9/7 after many years of what to do with my truck. I’ve got fed up many times and almost given it up. Now I’m super happy and can enjoy driving with my truck at last. Though I have made some adjustments after I got home. I have removed the too big bumper in front and adjusted a little with my Lincoln Electric mig🤔
Tell me if not 🙄
Here in Europe we have 16” wheels as original and the original tire size is Imperial 7.50-16 in metric only numbers 190/100-16, the nearest is 235/85-16
Though I have a set with 17” wheels I like to have for show off and thinking of 305/65-70-17 maybe 🤔 what do you think guys?
I like your new bumper better.

I run those 16" stock wheels with 235/85R16s on my '86 FJ60 and am very happy with the combination.

Tell me if not 🙄

View attachment 2727772

View attachment 2727773
The new front bumper looks much better. The whole rig is great. I would love to have a 45 but they seem really rare in the US.

The new front bumper looks much better. The whole rig is great. I would love to have a 45 but they seem really rar
The wheels are original HJ/ HiLux/4Runner mid 80s I think. They are pretty heavy. When I’m home tomorrow I will take some pictures nearby and put out here. About the bumper I happy to hear that you agree with me😊👍 When it comes to rare models. Here in Norway and Europe we almost only have diesel. If not it’s imported from US or other countries. BJ is 3.4 straight four and HJ45 3.6, and HJ47 have 4.0 liters straight six. Mine have replaced engine from a HJ60. 235/85-16 is almost the same as 7.50-16. Use this calculator and put in right numbers and you can see the difference between them. Tyre Size Calculator - https://www.exploroz.com/vehicle/tyres/sizecalc.aspx This is the best calculator I’ve found on the internet.

Last edited:
If I could suggest another retro sound face plate, you might be happier with the look. Mine was like that until it bothered me enough then I bit the bullet and bought some new knobs and better fitting face plate. It looks good as is, but I think you'd like the better fit and knobs if you were willing to spend the dumb amount they want to charge for a faceplate and knobs. Again it's just a suggestion, but I do love the retro sound functionality either way.
Here's my before and after.
View attachment 2727745
View attachment 2727746
I just checked the dimensions of the radio opening and it looks like I would not be able to use the less wide plate as it’s also about 7mm shorter in height and would not fully hide the cut-out opening (PO cut it out for a newer DIN-sized radio). So my other option would be to just trim both ends of the current plate (not sure how that would look with chrome only on the top/bottom) or buy just the generic plain black plate and trim it to size

I just checked the dimensions of the radio opening and it looks like I would not be able to use the less wide plate as it’s also about 7mm shorter in height and would not fully hide the cut-out opening (PO cut it out for a newer DIN-sized radio). So my other option would be to just trim both ends of the current plate (not sure how that would look with chrome only on the top/bottom) or buy just the generic plain black plate and trim it to size
I hear you. Mine was also cut a little but not fully so I lived with what is showing, but if PO cut it pretty good then yeah it'll be too short. Maybe I can see if I still have my black face plate somewhere for you to cut and see if it works better if you want.

Also added a cable to support the arm rest lid when it’s open to take some stress off the hinge. This has been on my to-do list for a long time...View attachment 2727612View attachment 2727623View attachment 2727624View attachment 2727626View attachment 2727627

Looks good! Where did you get your seat covers from? I’m going to do mine at some point within the year I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom