What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New seats.

PXL_20201115_060249745.jpg
PXL_20201125_002159881.jpg

PXL_20201125_234010102.jpg

The seats weren't exactly new, but in reasonable shape for $100. It was a lot of work, but if I do decide on nicer seats I'm now sure seats from at least 1999-2003 BMW 5 series should directly bolt in.

They are a little tall and a little wide. But they are comfortable. Unfortunately not heated.

Still need to to replace a couple bolts for the seatbelts and wire them (only one 12v+ and a ground, all controls are on the seat).

Been there done that exact same thing. No big deal. Here's an offer.

I am going to be sitting in Beaverton bored out of my skull from Monday 30th to 13th to 18th or there abouts, depending on getting flights sorted and the whims of random ignorant bureaucrats, and make myself available to come and assist you with whatever needs to be done. Cleaning, scraping, sanding, welding grinding whatever as long as it keeps my hands busy, I'm your man.

Any man that passes that offer up is truly missing out on a rare opportunity. Not only the benefits of having a set of skilled hands helping you but the comedy relief that comes along with @Dagha Boy is something no one should miss out on.

We won't even get started on the political insights.

New seats.

View attachment 2506824View attachment 2506825
View attachment 2506828

The seats weren't exactly new, but in reasonable shape for $100. It was a lot of work, but if I do decide on nicer seats I'm now sure seats from at least 1999-2003 BMW 5 series should directly bolt in.

They are a little tall and a little wide. But they are comfortable. Unfortunately not heated.

Still need to to replace a couple bolts for the seatbelts and wire them (only one 12v+ and a ground, all controls are on the seat).

I couldn't get the E36 seats I had in my 40 to work for me, the fuel tank was the biggest problem, the seats were 4" higher from the bottom than the OEM.

Hopefully you can make yours work better than I could.

I couldn't get the E36 seats I had in my 40 to work for me, the fuel tank was the biggest problem, the seats were 4" higher from the bottom than the OEM.

Hopefully you can make yours work better than I could.
If I adjust the seat all the way up, the top of my head is maybe a little over the windshield. But I am 6'3". (haven't put the top on in five years).

But I never sit on that side. I'm sure the dog won't mind. And my wife, I've already told her, so that she can be tall like me....

Adjusted all the way down, it's not as bad. Not great, but workable for me.

Because of having to pull the roll cage to get at the fuel tank this spring, and wanting to test fit and plan and measure, it's been a one seater all this summer. And only the dog has been upset about that.

Last edited:
Been there done that exact same thing. No big deal. Here's an offer.

I am going to be sitting in Beaverton bored out of my skull from Monday 30th to 13th to 18th or there abouts, depending on getting flights sorted and the whims of random ignorant bureaucrats, and make myself available to come and assist you with whatever needs to be done. Cleaning, scraping, sanding, welding grinding whatever as long as it keeps my hands busy, I'm your man.

Well I will just have to take you up on that offer! PM me when you get into town and we will arrange a time for you to come check out my mess.

Any man that passes that offer up is truly missing out on a rare opportunity. Not only the benefits of having a set of skilled hands helping you but the comedy relief that comes along with @Dagha Boy is something no one should miss out on.

We won't even get started on the political insights.

At this point I'll take all the help I can get :D.
I'm also very interested in said political insights as well

Well I will just have to take you up on that offer! PM me when you get into town and we will arrange a time for you to come check out my mess.

At this point I'll take all the help I can get :D.
I'm also very interested in said political insights as well
You won't be disappointed.

I've not got an HOA to deal with per-say... Just have the By-Law enforcement officer. She was nice about it and likely better looking than the HOA officers. I felt concerns about what was visible from the street were fair enough (we were mid renos)... what pissed me off was that they even complained about a small pile of grass clippings that were under a bush beside the 6' high fence in the BACK YARD. If the neighbor keeps it up, I'm going to require him to tear down that fence he went and built on my property, and build it on his own... it's likely less than a foot, but he's a prize and I just want to be able to enjoy my backyard without looking over my shoulder.

It's a shame I've started collecting old Bush-cutters, Weed-eaters, and Leaf blowers to maintain my yard to his 1/2" long lawn standards... something very appealing about an 8" carbide blade, spun by a solid shaft, at very high RPM, by a 1.8 hp, two stroke engine on the end of a 6.5' long pole.

the problem I have here is the HOA “President” used to have a classic truck and his wife made him sell it. So my 3 running FJ40’s and 4 parts trucks don’t go over well with him. Well there was a gap in the HOA convenant being registered with the county due to the HOA and my lawyer said until the county actually files the covenant for the HOA the rules are just advisory. Since I needed more space and it’s not visible from the road I had more paving done. The “President” saw what I did and threw a fit. Filed a complaint and it was shot down since the convenant wasn’t registered. Ole lawyers man. Have to love them.

It has been my experience that people in HOA's who complain about cars and such have some real issues in their lives that they have not dealt with. Instead of looking at themselves and taking responsabilty for their own lives they look to blame others for their deep concealed issues as they think that it will make them feel better and solve their unresolved issues. Most of those people do not have a life and are jealous that others are happily working toward something that makes them happy.

It has been my experience that people in HOA's who complain about cars and such have some real issues in their lives that they have not dealt with. Instead of looking at themselves and taking responsabilty for their own lives they look to blame others for their deep concealed issues as they think that it will make them feel better and solve their unresolved issues. Most of those people do not have a life and are jealous that others are happily working toward something that makes them happy.

I think this applies to almost everyone who is a chronic complainer. *cough*karens

Slight HOA hijack - They suck, never had one, hoping to avoid forever.

However, your HOA "Presidents" wife - fits right in with the "my personal opinion masquerading as neighborhood rules that others have to follow"

Also, that's not a wife - a confident wife (or partner in crime) when she sees her husband rubber neck a FJ40 heading the opposite direction on the highway says "why don't you get another one?" Not threatened at all with my "hobby" - 40+ year old rusted crack addiction.
In my head immediately the thought is, BEST decision I ever made to marry this woman.

THAT'S what to look for in a life partner, not someone who makes you sell your stuff, I call that something else entirely.

Exit Strategy

Last edited:
We moved from our home of 16 years with 30x40 shop due to the HOA turning sour. They were nice local folks in the beginning but the neighborhood turned over to new people from out of town who promptly ruined it. Never again.

Put the old bezel back on. I like it better than the chrome headlight rings. Introducing the new baby to IH8MUD. Happy Thanksgiving.

20201126_115442.jpg
20201126_115811.jpg

“A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people’s business.”

- Eric Hoffer

We moved from our home of 16 years with 30x40 shop due to the HOA turning sour. They were nice local folks in the beginning but the neighborhood turned over to new people from out of town who promptly ruined it. Never again.

Put the old bezel back on. I like it better than the chrome headlight rings. Introducing the new baby to IH8MUD. Happy Thanksgiving.

View attachment 2507217View attachment 2507218

Can you tell me more about the OEM front bumper winch setup you have - mainly the 8247 mounting plate.
I considered the OEM bumper, but also a 4Plus bumper in pewter
Thanks

Can you tell me more about the OEM front bumper winch setup you have - mainly the 8247 mounting plate.
I considered the OEM bumper, but also a 4Plus bumper in pewter
Thanks

That is a winch plate setup from @powthief19

That is a winch plate setup from @powthief19

Thanks, that's what I thought it might be. That sure looks great!

Debating the 2 options, 4Plus is beefier than the OEM and slightly less expensive even powedercoated in pewter. Food for thought!

Thank You!

It’s called projektion and I see it all the time.

In FJ40 related terms, I put the top on and rolled it out to make room for the new project my loving wife let me get to focus my thoughts in a positive direction at the anniversary of my father’s death.

2957AE3F-B8FA-4BF0-ACDD-757210B9AF69.jpeg

He always admired the sc400 and mentioned it every time we saw one.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I thought it might be. That sure looks great!

Debating the 2 options, 4Plus is beefier than the OEM and slightly less expensive even powedercoated in pewter. Food for thought!

Thank You!

$0.02

My front axle/brakes came from a 40 that met an early demise due to too beefy bumper. I can’t say for certain as I didn’t see the wreckage myself. The 40 was parted out after being in a corner to corner collision with an oncoming vehicle. The bumper didn’t flex, and therefore the full force of the impact was borne by the left hand frame rail. It was driven rearward and did extensive damage in the process.

It is very likely that an OEM bumper would have bent, the fender crunched, and likely the 40 spared. I can’t be certain, however, but that’s what the PO believed.

It’s called projektion and I see it all the time.

In FJ40 related terms, I put the top on and rolled it out to make room for the new project my loving wife let me get to focus my thoughts in a positive direction at the anniversary of my father’s death.

View attachment 2507508
He always admired the sc400 and mentioned it every time we saw one.
Similar taste👍 My other half Darlene has a 2003 SC430 that we will be doing some things to. Pretty amazing how well built the SC’s are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom