What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (68 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've not got an HOA to deal with per-say... Just have the By-Law enforcement officer. She was nice about it and likely better looking than the HOA officers. I felt concerns about what was visible from the street were fair enough (we were mid renos)... what pissed me off was that they even complained about a small pile of grass clippings that were under a bush beside the 6' high fence in the BACK YARD. If the neighbor keeps it up, I'm going to require him to tear down that fence he went and built on my property, and build it on his own... it's likely less than a foot, but he's a prize and I just want to be able to enjoy my backyard without looking over my shoulder.

It's a shame I've started collecting old Bush-cutters, Weed-eaters, and Leaf blowers to maintain my yard to his 1/2" long lawn standards... something very appealing about an 8" carbide blade, spun by a solid shaft, at very high RPM, by a 1.8 hp, two stroke engine on the end of a 6.5' long pole.

This sounds like my father-in-law's house. It BACKS to a neighborhood, but the whole reason he built his house where he did was because it DOESN'T fall inside the neighborhood's jurisdiction and thus their HOA does not apply. This is an important consideration when you have 7 classic cars in various states of decay sitting in your driveway. A few years ago a neighbor decided to sell their house. They cut down a bunch of pine trees that had previously blocked their view of my father-in-law's house - decided that the cars (that were now visible to them for the first time in a decade) would detract from their home's value, so they called the county. The county told my father he had 2 weeks to get all of the cars registered and inspected in the state of Delware, otherwise they were derelict and he'd be fined $50 per car, per week, until they were gone. Over the next two weeks we got a 1951 Mercury V8 Flathead, a 66 6cyl Chevy Bel Air, a 1994 Ford Rollback, a 1967 Chevy Van, a 1965 Ford Van, and a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner running, through inspection, tagged in the state of Delaware, and parked right back where they had been before the complaint was filed. The only one we didn't finished with the 1931 Ford AA Dump truck which he dropped at a buddy's place for re-wiring. The county inspector returned and couldn't believe his eyes - the inspector had really hated making the call and had a really good laugh about it.

Every time my father in law saw the realtor at the neighbors' house giving a tour, he'd fire up one of his louder cars (70 Coronet R/T, 36 Dodge Pickup Rat Rod, 71 Mustang) and do a nice long burnout down the driveway after revving them repeatedly to "warm them up."

One last gripe on HOA's then we can return to our regularly scheduled programming. My parents' neighborhood has one and the neighbors there are the worse. A neighbor had their driveway repaved, and, when finished, the fresh pavement had been compacted to extend/overlap 1" into the road. Someone called the HOA and complained. The HOA called the county. When the county came to check out the "Egregious driveway" they saw the pile of sticks my mom (avid gardener) had left in the side yard, and fined my parents for "yard litter."

Over the past couple of weeks I have just been plodding forth, slowly putting things back where they go. It feels really good to be putting stuff on rather than taking it off... or wire wheeling it. Here are some pictures:

OEM Toyota Radiator + OEM Toyota Hoses + CityRacer SS clamps = Beeeutiful! Thanks @Racer65
20201115_150819_HDR.jpg

MasterCoat Moisture Cured Urethane for the bottom of the tub... it brushes on thick! Impressive stuff.
20201102_104758_HDR.jpg

Then followed that up with @Cruiser Corps rattle cans, 6 1/2 of them. Nevermind those speed holes in the rear sill. That'll be addressed some other day...
20201120_133643_HDR.jpg

The Evercoat pads that I learned about on here for the floor/firewall...
20201121_123435_HDR.jpg

This really cool tape that I learned about on here... where has that stuff been all my life!
20201121_123410_HDR.jpg

I also installed the SOR Trans Tunnel packing/insulation kit, but I'm out of pictures. That's all for now. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Or should I say happy 4 day weekend to get a ton more FJ40 stuff done, that's what I'll be doing :rofl:

Minor hijack but, 30 years ago I was a 22 year old Roughneck on a Gary Drilling rig in the Bakersfield/Taft area. I think they are gone now but that 3 years taught me what real work was.

I just wish I could have shown up to the rig in that sweet mustard yellow 40 instead of the Delta 88 I had at the time. This isn't the one but a pretty close example.

Ha nice small world. Yeah Gary isn't around anymore but I know the name from my Grandpa. Worked with him and he's been in the supply store business out here for ~50 years.

Minor hijack but, 30 years ago I was a 22 year old Roughneck on a Gary Drilling rig in the Bakersfield/Taft area. I think they are gone now but that 3 years taught me what real work was.

I just wish I could have shown up to the rig in that sweet mustard yellow 40 instead of the Delta 88 I had at the time. This isn't the one but a pretty close example.

View attachment 2506025

Don't feel bad, my car in 1981 was a s***box Olds Cutlass! Actual car (and me):

Lee 1981.jpg

Over the past couple of weeks I have just been plodding forth, slowly putting things back where they go. It feels really good to be putting stuff on rather than taking it off... or wire wheeling it. Here are some pictures:

OEM Toyota Radiator + OEM Toyota Hoses + CityRacer SS clamps = Beeeutiful! Thanks @Racer65
View attachment 2506211

MasterCoat Moisture Cured Urethane for the bottom of the tub... it brushes on thick! Impressive stuff.
View attachment 2506212

Then followed that up with @Cruiser Corps rattle cans, 6 1/2 of them. Nevermind those speed holes in the rear sill. That'll be addressed some other day...
View attachment 2506213

View attachment 2506219

This really cool tape that I learned about on here... where has that stuff been all my life!
View attachment 2506220

I also installed the SOR Trans Tunnel packing/insulation kit, but I'm out of pictures. That's all for now. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Or should I say happy 4 day weekend to get a ton more FJ40 stuff done, that's what I'll be doing :rofl:
I like what you did with the tape underneath the gas tank. Going to install mine back in soon and plan on doing the same now that I see yours.

View attachment 2506211

View attachment 2506212

View attachment 2506213

View attachment 2506219

View attachment 2506220

Very nice work sir! Not to hijack but does anyone know if the radiator shroud when new was yellow zinc plated from the factory? The one on my ‘78 appears that way but on my ‘76 it appears that someone painted it black. Maybe John @Living in the Past or one of our other experts can shed some light on this👍 Happy Thanksgiving to all my mud brothers!

Very nice work sir! Not to hijack but does anyone know if the radiator shroud when new was yellow zinc plated from the factory? The one on my ‘78 appears that way but on my ‘76 it appears that someone painted it black. Maybe John @Living in the Past or one of our other experts can shed some light on this👍 Happy Thanksgiving to all my mud brothers!
On my '74, it was also painted black like everything else (shocks, exhaust, etc) on the outside. Inside was still bare metal. And not rusted. I'm not sure if they used some type of tin or aluminum alloy, or just plated steel, but definitely something that didn't rust.

Have met @GreaseMonkey and with his background probably already knows. Would have to look at pictures I have of my 76 but believe it was the 77 model and the start of the fan clutch when the shroud changed.

View attachment 2506304
I can’t wait to color match this thing one day.

Bought this 79 from a friend back in 1997. He owned for four years, got tired of it and offered it to for $2,200. Didn't own a 40 with disc brakes at the time so I bought it. It had no top or doors and he painted it a flat OD green without even sanding or primer. High pressure washer only got some of the paint off. Found a top and ambulance doors for $200. Side doors for $25 apiece. Plan on a budget billed that keeps changing. First was a 82 H42 and split case with a matching 82 semi floating rear axle with hand brake. Then 84 H41 with a full floating rear axle. Now it's a H55F. Hard top is a 77 so located some super cheap 84 ambulance doors with some damage but 99% rust free. In my parts in Australia have a set of 84 doors off a HJ47RP. Right door needs some rust repair and bought a lower repair panel for cheap. If I ever find time to work on it should be a interesting build. Plan is up to keep the total cost under $10,000 up to paint.
IMG_20190822_190216083.jpg

IMG_20190822_185941082.jpg
IMG_20190822_185955277.jpg

IMG_20190822_190011688.jpg

Last edited:
@JVZii @1911 Those two Oldsmobiles are actually quite slick. Yes, sedans don't age like trucks and 4x4s do, but I'd rather be in one of those reliving the good old days, than be looking at an LCD on the dash, tethered to a made-up-freedom via a 5G cellular service.

The late 70's and early 80's were not good years for quality control at GM. That car started falling apart at 100,000 miles, though a hard life on oil field lease roads did not help it any. That photo I posted was taken in Eddy County, NM by the way.

Been there done that exact same thing. No big deal. Here's an offer.

I am going to be sitting in Beaverton bored out of my skull from Monday 30th to 13th to 18th or there abouts, depending on getting flights sorted and the whims of random ignorant bureaucrats, and make myself available to come and assist you with whatever needs to be done. Cleaning, scraping, sanding, welding grinding whatever as long as it keeps my hands busy, I'm your man.

Not an expert, just reporting that the factory fan shroud on my 71 FJ40 is bare, unpainted metal.
20201101_124642.jpg

To the powder coaters
My May of 1980 was yellow zinc. Not sure I can stand the cost to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom