What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry no photos today. Drove it to a sunrise session of beach volleyball with the guys which was cut short by rain. The cowl to windshield seam seal repair seems to have held .. no water in the front floorboards.👏👏👏

Replaced all 4 spring pins and changed the oil.
D66AE033-E8A6-4E42-8BF1-19711D5E1605.jpeg

Have you got a build on the trailer? I’m just starting to think about doing something with my old 1/2 tub.
Kinda. Not too tech savvy ill have to look back. I think I need to upgrade my Mud membership so I can do it right. Send me your email and I'll send you a Dropbox link.

65mph, 2800rpm, 85* ambient temp, 15mph headwind, ac on, tubby trailer and truck loaded 80%= 200*-205* engine temp. Hopefully Texas summer will not increase the engine temp too much. 2F working her booty off so I give her credit for that.

20201025_151823.jpg

New Mexico?? Im ready to go back. Beautiful country.
That's the Caja del Rio west of Santa Fe, which was formed by extensive basaltic lava flows. What you can't see between the flat area in the foreground and the Jemez Mountains in the background is White Rock Canyon, cut by the Rio Grande. White Rock Canyon is ~900 feet deep. A lot of movies were filmed in part in this area, most recently "3:10 to Yuma" and "True Grit". And the 1985 film "Silverado" kicks off with a great panoramic shot of the northern end of White Rock Canyon, taken from the White Rock Overlook on the west side.

Caja del Rio Canyon
Yuma.jpg

Black Mesa (far left) along the Rio Grande in the Espanola Valley
Black Mesa.jpg

White Rock Overlook
Silverado.jpg

That's the Caja del Rio west of Santa Fe, which was formed by extensive basaltic lava flows. What you can't see between the flat area in the foreground and the Jemez Mountains in the background is White Rock Canyon, cut by the Rio Grande. White Rock Canyon is ~900 feet deep. A lot of movies were filmed in part in this area, most recently "3:10 to Yuma" and "True Grit". And the 1985 film "Silverado" kicks off with a great panoramic shot of the northern end of White Rock Canyon, taken from the White Rock Overlook on the west side.

Caja del Rio Canyon
View attachment 2476150

View attachment 2476162

White Rock Overlook
View attachment 2476171
Beautiful. Will have to come check it out. Went to the Gila a couple of years ago. Wanting to get back there too.

I know of 5 I can think of off the top of my head, all within 10 miles of me, all not for sale, all rotting away at least 10 years. One is my neighbors. The first time I knocked on his door to buy it I was 16; I’m 36 and I’m getting the same answer “going to pull it in this winter and restore it”. Says the last offer he turned down was $20k cash.... And I was thinking it was a parts rig!

Caja del Rio Canyon
View attachment 2476150

View attachment 2476162

White Rock Overlook
View attachment 2476171

We should try to wheel out to the overlook just on your side of Montoso Peak?

Otowi Mesa, north end of Pecos divide in distance. I did this on my bicycle, it was tricky, but, I we actually did it in a 2nd Gen 4Runner back in the day.
Otowi.JPG

Valles Caldera, Bandelier National Monument, LANL.
IMG_7230.JPG

The little trickle at the far left is Rio Frijoles (below). If I am correct, here, it is the deepest section along the whole length of the Rio Grande (probably North America's fifth longest river), at 1,000-feet.
IMG_7225.JPG

IMG_7223.JPG

Pano.jpg

Last edited:
And, I took the 40 back this afternoon, hoping for some storm.

IMG_8690.JPG

La Cienega
IMG_8696.JPG

This morning, I hiked to the peak just above my passenger windshield pad.
IMG_8701.JPG

I'm on the original Route 66, and before that, it was the Camino Real - from New Mexico to Mexico City. There are chunks of wagon or early automobile leaf spring all over the old ruts which reveal a glimpse from the past.
IMG_8714.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom