What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had cold starting issues with the Old Gurl. Traced it to the starter. Replaced with a spare FJ60 gear reduction starter I had lying around. Now she sounds "different". I don't like it😰. Gonna have to look at rebuilding my old starter. Are parts still available for the old direct drive starters?

View attachment 2178858
Sound like a Jeep starting doesn’t it 🤣! But it works!.

Had cold starting issues with the Old Gurl. Traced it to the starter. Replaced with a spare FJ60 gear reduction starter I had lying around. Now she sounds "different". I don't like it😰. Gonna have to look at rebuilding my old starter. Are parts still available for the old direct drive starters?

Interesting...about 3-4 weeks ago, my original starter died and I located a starter locally (Autozone) that got me back on the road, but hated the sound. I finally located a Toyota GRS and installed it today, and yes a completely different sound...now I don't remember what the original sounds like :(

Regardless, I think this one is a keeper...much better than the original.

60055066825__9904653B-56AA-42DA-8FA4-B301ACE6D187.JPG

My son and I didn’t have time to do compression test today but we did tighten the steering box which took most of the play out of the steering wheel. Also went for a visit with Alabamtacomaguy and discovered that our 78s are right at 950 apart on the serial number sequence. And to think they live only about 4 miles apart. Crazy.
Always good to see another 40 to compare and contrast. And to visit with someone who is similarly infatuated with the 40.

Changed PCV valve and grommet, the "old one" didn't look too bad and the grommet looked pretty new. I was wrong, no rattle at all. Cheap and easy, just like the gir...... better be careful, my wife is in the same room.

I bought a 1968 FJ40. Without an engine but otherwise pretty complete and without too much rust since it is an Arizona vehicle. My question to everyone is, should I (1) Put it back to original or (2) install a 2F engine for a 4 speed or (3) drop in a 350 with an adapter to a land cruiser 4 speed & gear train or (4) change out everything from the axles (Dana 44's? ) to a newer, transmision and manual xfer case & small block? I plan to fix it up, have a little fun and sell it.
My 1968 FJ40 on 11 JAN 20.jpg

I bought a 1968 FJ40. Without an engine but otherwise pretty complete and without too much rust since it is an Arizona vehicle. My question to everyone is, should I (1) Put it back to original or (2) install a 2F engine for a 4 speed or (3) drop in a 350 with an adapter to a land cruiser 4 speed & gear train or (4) change out everything from the axles (Dana 44's? ) to a newer, transmision and manual xfer case & small block? I plan to fix it up, have a little fun and sell it.View attachment 2181497
Keep it 3-speed, and F (or maybe 2F).

from a 63 40 series.
How about a little more information and pictures of your 63? 63 seems to be a really odd year as far as what is what can be found on these trucks as toyota moved from the early trucks to the 64 model. IE centered diff or offset? dual sided turn signals or single sided? toyota sticker on sill?

How about a little more information and pictures of your 63? 63 seems to be a really odd year as far as what is what can be found on these trucks as toyota moved from the early trucks to the 64 model. IE centered diff or offset? dual sided turn signals or single sided? toyota sticker on sill?

All items match to a 64. Not my rig tho...

I was given the golden opportunity to pull some parts before it was broken down for a trail rig build. Wasn’t much left of it... :(

Also did some prototyping on my newly acquired 3d printer... (I'm in trouble)
Air cleaner adapter/ sleeve for my Sniper 2GC Small Bore to stock air cleaner.

20200113_080009.jpg

Also did some prototyping on my newly acquired 3d printer... (I'm in trouble)
Air cleaner adapter/ sleeve for my Sniper 2GC Small Bore to stock air cleaner.

View attachment 2181619
So is that adapter needed to keep the stock air cleaner housing or did you just modify an existing one with the Teq logo? Looking good sir 👍

So is that adapter needed to keep the stock air cleaner housing or did you just modify an existing one with the Teq logo? Looking good sir 👍

Thanks man...

It's custom (3d printed) made for this particular setup. This was my first try at it. The teq logo was for fun... After mounting I discovered I will need to modify the top rim and slant it just a bit as the air cleaner comes up at an angle to the Sniper.

With everything in its semi stock location there's a 1.25 inch gap between the bottom of the air cleaner and the mounting surface of the Sniper. This sleeve takes up the gap and seals it up.
I say "semi-stock" location because in order to get the air cleaner in the correct location directly above the Sniper I had to elongate the mounting holes on the bracket that the head bolts pass through by half an inch.
When this is all done I will be doing a write up on the project.

last night i started screwing around with something i have not screwed with before ?

I have only ever seen this type of cluster once in my life , but now own 2 as part of a larger then life Trade , and deal i made with the TEq Devil ........... 😆
Mmmmkay. I'll bite. What is it from? The rest of us have no idea what that is. Well, speaking for myself, I have no clue.

Thanks man...

It's custom (3d printed) made for this particular setup. This was my first try at it. The teq logo was for fun... After mounting I discovered I will need to modify the top rim and slant it just a bit as the air cleaner comes up at an angle to the Sniper.

With everything in its semi stock location there's a 1.25 inch gap between the bottom of the air cleaner and the mounting surface of the Sniper. This sleeve takes up the gap and seals it up.
I say "semi-stock" location because in order to get the air cleaner in the correct location directly above the Sniper I had to elongate the mounting holes on the bracket that the head bolts pass through by half an inch.
When this is all done I will be doing a write up on the project.
What printer do you own? I have one, but it is now defunct (company went bust).

What printer do you own? I have one, but it is now defunct (company went bust).

Qidi X-Smart... Seems to be great for beginners to intermediate users. About a 6x6x6 build area...

Good for lots of those little 40 Parts that are hard to get, or don't exist. Can print in several materials including one thats like rubber, So I'm thinking that fuel line grommet in the floor that is long gone is on my list!

I have also been creating some custom knobs that I may use on my 64. I love how the OEM ones look, but none of them are alike. The only two with the same shape are the choke and throttle. I'm thinking of making a set that all match and have a simple letter on them indicating their use.

Like this... (almost finished)

Knob Pic.jpg

Mmmmkay. I'll bite. What is it from? The rest of us have no idea what that is. Well, speaking for myself, I have no clue.

iT's My current understanding after much R & D time online and here on the Forum as well using Advance Search options feature :

- that this is indeed a either a FJ25 and or a first production year hold over part
when the FJ25 production line stopped and then became FJ40 , the next generation in Land Cruiser , i also found conflicting info , and facts on exactly what model year this occurred and also what month ?

- so , i went with , and currently consider
fact , the Wikipedia official page on the topic :

Please see link below :

-
if there correct , for FJ25, 1959 was last model year .....

- and , 1960 was first production year for FJ40

- so , this can indeed be a 1960 FJ40 Cluster meter , both FJ25 & 1960 FJ40 came with a color keyed Cluster Meter to match the Body paint Code .

- this explains why it's been painted
FreeBorn Red .....

- i have concluded this is 100% original OEM TOYOTA Factory Original;
in every way , barring the missing Fuel Gauge and the
BLUE Lumen LED Bulbs i installed during my subsequent bench testing procedures , to bring life back into this at least 61 Year old , or older KIller Kool little guy .........

- i also installed updated LED bulbs in each AMBER indicator light style Gauge

- i un-forseen Bonus in the rather large parts cache i acquired from a
New Mexico , High Climate Land Cruiser owner , simply thinning his heard of
parts both early and late model , was a 2nd parts cluster of the Same Vintage .

- it has the missing & needed fuel gauge & a better overall condition plug and play cluster meter sub harness , metal bulb sockets style ........

-
if anyone has more input to add hear , by all means do so .....

im in no way a Early model land cruiser knowledgeable owner or the like ,
my strengths are in the area of anything with a
2F engine , and i mean anything , from a 1983 non-usa FJ43L-KC to a TOYOTA Forklift with a factory
low torque camshaft 2F
also , the penn state T-TEN Auto Lab , had a
old 2F engine equipped Forklift and i was always fascinated by how the heck
they stuffed a inline 6 monster farm tractor engine in such a small space ?

i tried at the time back in 1997-1998 in earnest to acquire a
Forklift 2F camshaft at the time but never was able to connected the dots there .....?

here is the parts cluster , witch is a later next generation FJ40 for sure , due to the presence of the updated 4 analog gauge installed factory layout ....

both clusters i was told spent there entire life cycle span in the same New Mexico HIGH Desert Dry Climate since day 1 , this is a concrete fact , due to the presence of ZERO Rust , corrosion of even major patina of any kind inside or out .......

:D

DSCN2188.JPG
DSCN2200.JPG
DSCN2201.JPG

Unknown model Year Saudi Spec. FJ25

1578958026759.png

1960 FJ40 Land Cruiser 001

1960 FJ40 Land Cruiser 001

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom