What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (69 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That post goes back a few years. I just found the Kentrol stainless light rings last week myself.

Fired the beast up and got it ready for a weekend of wrenching.

6BB4ACD5-6DD7-4BB0-9CC5-C20409EFD587.jpeg

Finished cleaning, modifying, and reassembling a spare FJ60 distributor for my '76 FJ40. The FJ40 already has FJ60 electronic ignition, but I'll be replacing the distributor that's currently in the vehicle with this modified version with a single diaphragm/single port vacuum advancer.

Modified-Distributor-1.jpg

Modified-Distributor-2.jpg

Modified-Distributor-3.jpg

Modified-Distributor-4.jpg

Modified-Distributor-5.jpg

Cut out the rust and am getting ready to weld in my new sill/cover and some new lower quarter panels. Any advice or pointers from folks who have done this job are very welcomed.

Man... I gotta clean the extra parts out of my garage....
Brace the entire bed before you cut out the rear quarters

Finished cleaning, modifying, and reassembling a spare FJ60 distributor for my '76 FJ40. The FJ40 already has FJ60 electronic ignition, but I'll be replacing the distributor that's currently in the vehicle with this modified version with a single diaphragm/single port vacuum advancer.

View attachment 2185739

View attachment 2185740

View attachment 2185741

View attachment 2185742

View attachment 2185743
I really like the no-clamp clamp. Nice work, John. That 60 distributor looks like it has no wear on the tang or gear.

Started figuring out the wiring for the eBay wiper motors to the painless harness - blew a fuse and gave up for now.

New pertronix ignitor, new battery, new battery tray and hold downs, put the Jumpseats back together, applied 2 coats linseed oil to the patina because "it's only $5". Drove it around town getting stares, "Jeep waves" and looking cool

I really like the no-clamp clamp. Nice work, John. That 60 distributor looks like it has no wear on the tang or gear.
Came from my '86 FJ60 that had ~125,000 miles on it when last on the road, which was ~1995 according to the PO. Southern Nevada truck until I brought it out here to New Mexico for its rebuild with 3FE and H55f.

Spruced up some knobs. I cleaned them well, dyed using the rit black liquid dye mixed with 50/50 hot water and acetone. Used a sharpie oil based paint pen for the lettering. I cleaned the excess paint using a paper towel and alcohol and polished by hand with some Mcguires headlight polish.

20200118_085710.jpg

Still doing the repair on the rear body of my 1969. Had to extend my inner sill channel because when test fitting I noticed that it was a bit short on one side. So I figured I would center it on the body mount holes and the extend whichever side was short so that it would fit properly.

Once I attempted that, I quickly understood where the problem was- I think this replacement piece was created on the wrong jig. There are 4 rear body mounts that attach to the rear frame crossmember. The two inner holes on the crossmember are 28.5 inches apart, and the replacement sill had the holes at only 28. I thought about a lot of solutions, but in the end I just cut the sill in the middle, pulled it apart .5 inches added some angle iron for strength and then some 16 gauge sheet metal to cover the work. The pic below is the cut, extended, and primed sill.

I know some work is to be expected with replacement body parts, but holes completely off this far seemed pretty bad to me.

Quick question for the Mud team: is the inner hole spacing on all early models 28.5 or did they have some with 28? Did the seller send the wrong sill for my year, or was it a quality control thing when they made the new product?

6BD8EEA2-7418-49B4-B827-988C62BE4AA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Still removing wires and trying to work through the mind of one of the PO’s thoughts. It’s amazing I started with the last photo and now only have few wires that still remain and the lights and turn Signals are still working. They were previously connected to the voltage regulator and the speed sensor.

3961918B-4C4E-45CB-AF24-A7440F1CA657.jpeg
FF3DEBC3-A4D5-4755-819B-C4F994A49906.jpeg

Your lights work, but does anything else, like gauges, hazards, etc? The loom in the second picture looks like the stock loom exiting the firewall into engine compartment.

Still t
Your lights work, but does anything else, like gauges, hazards, etc? The loom in the second picture looks like the stock loom exiting the firewall into engine compartment.

Unfortunately I’m not dealing with a stock 40 so yes it’s all working. This all started because I wanted to disconnect the AMP meter from my SBC one wire alternator. I got in there and just figured it was a good time to clean things up.

The “Iron Yak” had the top to the center console reattached, hit the zerks with grease, removed weather stripping from doors, added new weather stripping to rear doors then ran out of time. Will do the front doors next weekend. And nestled the Yak next to his sister “Tashi”
3011B580-E259-4237-9CAB-DD3DE4FF01E0.jpeg
2B5EA48F-A3FA-45FE-B341-81032AD1C539.jpeg
E1AF2EB1-FA18-4C4B-9E69-797042F1891A.jpeg
2D00E832-C497-41C3-8CA8-8BFB9767EE82.jpeg
34703109-945E-4B54-9BF6-BE5BBB31AD16.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom