What did you do with your truck this week? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't get around to completing my investigation. I dropped the DS on Friday while on the lift and put it in 4-Lo to get the front wheels spinning. Couldn't hear any squeaking, so turned engine off and crawled back under and started turning things by hand. Sounded like the front DS was squeaking so refreshed the lube in all the u-joints. Put it back together and still had same loud squeaking....ran out of time to finish tracking down the problem.

Spent all day Saturday pulling the SB350 out of the Silverado parts truck that ACC had on hand. The core needs to go back to FL in exchange for the rebuilt block we bought (already completed too). Hoisted the entire engine/tranny out and pulled off all the top and front end accessories. Separated the tranny for scrap. Had already pulled the main wiring harness and ECU's last weekend. The plan is to use the stock TF727 tranny/NP208 combo already on Bertha - going to need Adv Adapter kit for that. Pics soon.

RICK, ill be doing the same in the 80 next.....

Today unwrapped about 25' of loom and searched for my charging culprit. Rewired with new 16 guage and soldered in a 33ohm resistor in attempt to produce an excited circuit to activate the alternator. Am now looking for CS alternator to SI alternator wiring adaptors so I can follow some further advice via mud to complete the wiring. (S pin to batt terminal loop)

Marshall thanks for the comments in the 40 section.

Getting 14.5 volts back outta the alternator at least now and discovered the in dash guage reads exactly 1.1volt off what the alt/battery reading is. line loss perhaps or a miscalibrated guage.

Jay came over Sunday and we got the radiator back in the cruiser and filled. We threw the gas tank back in and BG2F started right up. Even after sitting for almost a year.

Got the rear sill back on and a coat of paint on it. We also got the drivers rear fender back on and temporary screwed down.

That night I went back out and welded the fender on and started grinding the welds.

Last night finished grinding the welds and got a coat of primer on. I now can remove the tub bracing. All that is left to weld is some more holes in the dash and 3 holes in the tub. Hope to have that done tonight. Then I get to lay some more primer and a little body filler and sand. Then she is ready for some paint.

Hoping to have all the paint finished by Sat morning and start assembling everything that weekend.

Hoping.

....ran out of time to finish tracking down the problem.

I needed front brake pads too :bang:, but still have the squeaks. Thinking it might be the u-joints on the DS's. NAPA here I come.

got an engine installed

2010-144-22-55-27-0-DSC00797.jpg

2010-144-22-55-48-0-DSC00799.jpg

2010-144-22-56-44-0-DSC00805.jpg

Dig the orange Marshall!!!!...... but did you seriously use the inside garge door for test sprays??

JP, seriously we should delete that post, you have met him before right? :grinpimp:

Yeah.

It's just a layer of foam board. It's just cut to fit the door and insulate and keep the heat in during the summer and the cold in during the winter. Awesome.

I reallized tonight that the clicking noise when I turn is not my drivers side hub sticking in the locked position. Both hubs appear tip top. Can't wait to break something at GSMTR on Julia's first wheelin trip!

Welcome to FLA, 4 wheelin... Looks like it is time for some Boggers.

AYE! I found my squeak! I was about to change out the u-joints on my rear DS...had it off the truck and everything. While it was up on the rack I thought let me put it in gear again and let things spin to see if the DS really was the culprit. So, no squeaky as it is running and I think, OK, confirmed - it has to be the rear DS. Then just for good measure I think I'll just spin all the wheels by hand and see what I can hear. I grab the rear driver side wheel and give it a whirl... squeak...squeak...squeak.

It turned out to be a loose hub cover. On the FJC its just a little black steel cap you deadhand back on after tightening all the lugnuts...yep, it was just loose enough to make a little squeak on every revolution. What a pain it was to track down, but at least it was nothing major.

Rick, no driveway, local car wash may have been a bit miffed. Had to go back a second time to get more of it from underneath. It is a lot more fun to clean after running on rocks, but less body stripping with mud!

Mike -- no boggers the BFG muds worked just fine. Could have used a bit more clearance, the 40's had 38's and about 6 inches of clearance. Only got stuck once! as did everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom