What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Best mod of all this weekend was this...

20200221_165218.jpg

Thanks Joey and Lee :flipoff2:

Lately, I have been thinking of taking mine off and welding up the holes too.
Don’t do it. I did mine because I hate searching for old parts and I thought for sure I’d lose them to rocks and such. I realize now the 80 is pretty narrow by today’s SUV standards. I think more people lose them in Walmart and Home Depot parking lots than trails.

Replaced my heater core. Now I can stay nice and toasty when riding in the cold. Granted this took more than a weekend but feels great to have it done. Had the entire heater core rebuilt for $325 at a local shop. I did a write up of it here if you want to see more pictures and details of how its done. Heater Core Replacement-Pictures and How To

IMG_2572 (1).jpg
IMG_2585.jpg
IMG_2605.jpg
IMG_2587 (1).jpg

Replaced my heater core. Now I can stay nice and toasty when riding in the cold. Granted this took more than a weekend but feels great to have it done. Had the entire heater core rebuilt for $325 at a local shop. I did a write up of it here if you want to see more pictures and details of how its done. Heater Core Replacement-Pictures and How To

View attachment 2220442View attachment 2220443View attachment 2220444View attachment 2220445
Nice job with the screws and bolts organization!

View attachment 2220442View attachment 2220443View attachment 2220444View attachment 2220445
Looking at those wires and control links gives me anxiety.

Decided to tackle the slight oil leak that is coming from the rear arch on the upper oil pan. At the same time "while I'm in there" I planned on swapping in new motor mounts.

The motor mounts were a pain in the ass. I guess this would be so much easier with a hoist but jacking up the engine on a piece of 2x4 is not good for my sanity. It didn't help that the mounts were stuck fast so as I jacked the engine the whole body came with it.

View attachment 2220279

Got there in the end and then moved onto the oil pans. Other than freeing the upper pan from the old gasket it was pretty straightforward but there are so many steps to perform.

View attachment 2220282

I sure hope this fixes the leak because there is no motivation to do this again anytime soon.

And just for the hell of it I fitted a new rear drive shaft. My old one had a lot of slop in the slip yoke.

View attachment 2220289

Step 6 well and truly earned this weekend...

All of this stuff is on my to-do list. I can't fit a cherry picker in the garage with my truck (steep driveway). Sounds like it's about as much of a pain in the ass as I'm imagining it will be. Should I skip it and just keep topping the oil off forever? o_O Did you notice the new motor mounts feel any different afterwards?

And just for the hell of it I fitted a new rear drive shaft. My old one had a lot of slop in the slip yoke.

20200223_190931.jpg
Any idea how much slop is too much?

I was looking at mine the other weekend and I noticed that I could deflect the yoke quite a bit.

Any idea how much slop is too much?

I was looking at mine the other weekend and I noticed that I could deflect the yoke quite a bit.

No idea about specifications but the feedback I got from knowledgeable people was that any slop was too much. I could feel & hear it everytime I put the truck in drive or reverse. New DS wasn't too spendy so it was the easiest option.

No idea about specifications but the feedback I got from knowledgeable people was that any slop was too much. I could feel & hear it everytime I put the truck in drive or reverse. New DS wasn't too spendy so it was the easiest option.
Did it come with U-Joints pre-installed?

Thanks a lot. I suppose a new DS is in order then.

I'm seeing probably about 1/4" of deflection.

You didn't answer my question! :eek: Any seat of the pants feel difference with the new motor mounts? Please and thank you!

I'm seriously considering skipping the motor mounts so I can just chop out and re-weld the frame brace under the oil pan to simplify the oil pan arch job.

You didn't answer my question! :eek: Any seat of the pants feel difference with the new motor mounts? Please and thank you!

I'm seriously considering skipping the motor mounts so I can just chop out and re-weld the frame brace under the oil pan to simplify the oil pan arch job.
I haven't been able to test drive it yet as I have a "no start" issue I am working through. My drivers side mount was split so I expect to me able to feel some improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom