What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (127 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet tires! Thinking about picking those up soon. How much and where did you buy them? Liking them so far?
Thanks! I have wanted a set for awhile and part of my tax return seemed to want them too. So far, I love them, but I haven't had much chance to try out the traction. I got them at Pomp's. Total bill was $1052 for four which included tax, an extra warranty, mounting, balancing and getting rid of the old tires. I shopped eBay and all of the online retailers and their price was very competitive and I like the idea of having the local place close by that I can deal with if there is ever an issue.

Thanks! I have wanted a set for awhile and part of my tax return seemed to want them too. So far, I love them, but I haven't had much chance to try out the traction. I got them at Pomp's. Total bill was $1052 for four which included tax, an extra warranty, mounting, balancing and getting rid of the old tires. I shopped eBay and all of the online retailers and their price was very competitive and I like the idea of having the local place close by that I can deal with if there is ever an issue.

Hey I see from you are up in Duluth/Superior? I am in Minneapolis but grew up and still hang out just east of Superior towards Poplar, Wi. I like to wheel in the Chequamegon National Forest a lot. Looks like you will have a chance to try out your tires in snow starting tomorrow night. We're going to get hit hard! ;)

Well, I never thought I'd do this:

Jumped on the "drive a cheapo lame a$$ car to not waste money on gas and wear and tear on my 80s".

1999 Corolla 75,312 miles, runs, AC blows cold, windows don't work (not sure why yet but will figure it out). $500.

It will be my DD while I swap motors on the 93. Then I will sell it to someone at work that needs a car and can't get financing or scrape together enough money to get a decent used car. (Plenty of those in retail who are just getting by and could use a break). The thing drives like new. Bought it from a girl that got it 3 years ago from her grandma that bought it new.

Man card officially revoked.

As I picked her up.

IMG_4974.JPG

Jumped on the "drive a cheapo lame a$$ car to not waste money on gas and wear and tear on my 80s".

1999 Corolla 75,312 miles, runs, AC blows cold, windows don't work (not sure why yet but will figure it out). $500.

It will be my DD while I swap motors on the 93. Then I will sell it to someone at work that needs a car and can't get financing or scrape together enough money to get a decent used car. (Plenty of those in retail who are just getting by and could use a break). The thing drives like new. Bought it from a girl that got it 3 years ago from her grandma that bought it new.

As I picked her up.

View attachment 1407840

That's a good car right there...prolly has cup holders too! I roll the Camry or Prius 25/30 days during the month.

As I picked her up.

View attachment 1407840
With that mileage for $500 you cant lose. You could easily fix those windows, pop that rear dent out, fix whatever other minor problems its got and quadruple your money.

We all know the best DD is an 80 but desperate times call for desperate measures, good luck with your motor swap!

Hey I see from you are up in Duluth/Superior? I am in Minneapolis but grew up and still hang out just east of Superior towards Poplar, Wi. I like to wheel in the Chequamegon National Forest a lot. Looks like you will have a chance to try out your tires in snow starting tomorrow night. We're going to get hit hard! ;)

Yep, I live in Superior. My GF owns a house with a Poplar address. I am not sure how hard we are going to get hit with the snow, but I hope there is enough for them to run the Birkie this year. I don't know the trails up here since I just moved from Madison about a year and half ago and just got the 80 this past fall.

Shoot me a PM if you are ever in the area and want to get together to talk 80's and trails :beer:

As I picked her up.

View attachment 1407840
Nice! Those cars will run forever. I am all about having something that gets good MPG as an alternate to the 80 for when it needs work or I am going drive a long distance on the highway. My Tacoma is a grandpa truck, but it's super handy and I still get 30MPG on the highway. I would say your man card just has a "smart dude" stamp on it now.

That's a good car right there...prolly has cup holders too! I roll the Camry or Prius 25/30 days during the month.

It's a very good car. I have an 07 Camry Hybrid that the wife and daughter drive. It's just not an 80...

With that mileage for $500 you cant lose. You could easily fix those windows, pop that rear dent out, fix whatever other minor problems its got and quadruple your money.

We all know the best DD is an 80 but desperate times call for desperate measures, good luck with your motor swap!

My buddy owns a body shop. He said we can pull the dent out to "pretty darn good" for a six pack.

It will pay for itself in two weeks. I'll be driving 700-800 miles per week for work @ 56.5 cents per mile.

Literally everything else works and is in perfect condition. I'll snap pics of the interior and post in my thread. The seats look like they are brand new. Grandma had rugs on the floor and seat covers. I wish grandma had owned an 80 Series!

I already have a coworker in mind that has a total sh!t bucket of a vehicle that has had a lot of problems. She's a hard worker and has been dealt a pretty raw deal by her family. It would be life changing for her. I think I may just give it to her when I'm done with it. It won't have cost me anything with mileage reimbursement...

Nice! Those cars will run forever. I am all about having something that gets good MPG as an alternate to the 80 for when it needs work or I am going drive a long distance on the highway. My Tacoma is a grandpa truck, but it's super handy and I still get 30MPG on the highway. I would say your man card just has a "smart dude" stamp on it now.

I know it's a fiscally smart move. It's a great car. Just boring.

Tires have less than a thousand miles on them. New "shock thingies" too!

Other than the windows it is perfect.

Grandma didn't drive it in the winter after the first couple of years of owning it.

It's a very good car. I have an 07 Camry Hybrid that the wife and daughter drive. It's just not an 80...

My buddy owns a body shop. He said we can pull the dent out to "pretty darn good" for a six pack.

It will pay for itself in two weeks. I'll be driving 700-800 miles per week for work @ 56.5 cents per mile.

Literally everything else works and is in perfect condition. I'll snap pics of the interior and post in my thread. The seats look like they are brand new. Grandma had rugs on the floor and seat covers. I wish grandma had owned an 80 Series!

I already have a coworker in mind that has a total sh!t bucket of a vehicle that has had a lot of problems. She's a hard worker and has been dealt a pretty raw deal by her family. It would be life changing for her. I think I may just give it to her when I'm done with it. It won't have cost me anything with mileage reimbursement...

I know it's a fiscally smart move. It's a great car. Just boring.

Tires have less than a thousand miles on them. New "shock thingies" too!

Other than the windows it is perfect.

Grandma didn't drive it in the winter after the first couple of years of owning it.

So, would your co-worker notice if her new Corolla rocked busted up Land Cruiser seats? You said these are in good condition. Are they a replacement option for the tired 80 seats?

Let me just say, that I am a huge fan of small cheap cars. I have bought 4 (including my FJ62) out of the parking lot where I work. Most recently a Honda Civic, vintage 2003 in perfect condition with only 100K miles. My son is driving that as of last week. I drove it from California to Louisiana and averaged 42 mpg on the way there. Amazing.

Anytime one of my colleagues is buying a new car, I offer to buy the old one. Right now, I have my eye on a Lexus GX470. It's owner just bought a fancy new Acura, so it looks promising....:D

So @LS1FJ40 what's not to love about small cheap cars? No need to feel bad about it. It's kind of like having a rental car or a mistress. No long term commitment, no long term financial obligations, and a ton of fun in the meantime. I'm speaking hypothetically, of course.:hillbilly:

Let me just say, that I am a huge fan of small cheap cars. I have bought 4 (including my FJ62) out of the parking lot where I work. Most recently a Honda Civic, vintage 2003 in perfect condition with only 100K miles. My son is driving that as of last week. I drove it from California to Louisiana and averaged 42 mpg on the way there. Amazing.

Anytime one of my colleagues is buying a new car, I offer to buy the old one. Right now, I have my eye on a Lexus GX470. It's owner just bought a fancy new Acura, so it looks promising....:D

So @LS1FJ40 what's not to love about small cheap cars? No need to feel bad about it. It's kind of like having a rental car or a mistress. No long term commitment, no long term financial obligations, and a ton of fun in the meantime. I'm speaking hypothetically, of course.:hillbilly:

Well, it's fine. It's a great car. It leaked no oil on my driveway. It will get excellent gas mileage. But it just does nothing for me. My entire driving life I have driven an 80 unless I had a work vehicle. So it's part of my identity! It will serve its purpose.

LS1FJ40, I have great admiration for you considering giving your Corolla to that needy woman when your 80 is up and running again. That's paying it forward and you'll reap what you've sown over and above. I'm pretty sure you've done things like that before in your past and that's probably why you got such a good deal on the Corolla.

snip...

snip...

We need more people in the world that think like this. :cheers:

LS1FJ40, I have great admiration for you considering giving your Corolla to that needy woman when your 80 is up and running again. That's paying it forward and you'll reap what you've sown over and above. I'm pretty sure you've done things like that before in your past and that's probably why you got such a good deal on the Corolla.

We need more people in the world that think like this. :cheers:

It's the right thing to do.

Believe it or not there was an instance in the past where someone on Mud gave away a Land Cruiser (and a bunch of people kicked in parts and other household necessities, and someone flew across country to drive it and deliver it) to help someone out. He got lambasted for doing it. True story.

I was in a very bad situation medically and financially about 7.5 years ago. TLCA and Mud members in Indiana stepped up huge and did a ton of maintenance on my 92 for me. Like, everything over a 10 hr period. I will forever be grateful and pass it on in whatever way I can. If we all do it, life will be wonderful.

^X2

I feel like that scene in the three amigos. "What are you going to do with your share of the money?"

Good job Ned! I was just kidding about the seats. She should keep the best seats. And they should be lined with cash.

In all seriousness, I hope we can help.

It's the right thing to do.

Believe it or not there was an instance in the past where someone on Mud gave away a Land Cruiser (and a bunch of people kicked in parts and other household necessities, and someone flew across country to drive it and deliver it) to help someone out. He got lambasted for doing it. True story.

I was in a very bad situation medically and financially about 7.5 years ago. TLCA and Mud members in Indiana stepped up huge and did a ton of maintenance on my 92 for me. Like, everything over a 10 hr period. I will forever be grateful and pass it on in whatever way I can. If we all do it, life will be wonderful.

What if co-worker was from Texas? :D

You are going to drive that Corolla for the next while, before realizing that you actually prefer it to the LC.

Your motor swap will suddenly take longer and longer to complete as you are subconsciously delaying it so you continue to have an "excuse" to be driving a sedan.

Instead of dreaming about wheeling, you are going to dream about finding good parking spots at Sears.

Instead of lifts, bigger tires or roof racks you can start online shopping for fancy hub caps, flowery steering wheel covers and those obnoxious turtle decals that people get after they went to Hawaii once.

The end is near.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom