What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced TREs. Been on the list to do for some time but started getting severe wheel wobble at certain speeds which prompted a closer look. Discovered a broken TRE on the driver side so grabbed a set from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Had a trip planned this weekend so was in a real hurry to get this fixed. Kurt got the TRE's to me mid week and I got them painted and put on. Scrambled to get an OME steering damper purchased and put on as well. Should have gotten when ordering the TRE's but thought the one on there was good enough. Turns out not so much so sourced one locally. Ran into some adjustment snags but with some help and reassurance from Kurt and crew and this forum, I was able to get things sorted out. Combination of in-experience, no sleep, and being in a hurry lead me to do some dumb stuff. But got it worked out.

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

Despite the TRE repair I managed to finally do something with the truck other than work on it. Quick weekend camping trip out to East Texas at Ratcliff lake. First trip anywhere since I bought the truck a year and a half ago. She struggled to start every day while out there but eventually did. So another issue to figure out. The stuttering I encountered on my last camping attempt with the Toyota (which forced an about face home) was gone this trip after fixing the emissions computer solder joints (again credit to the forum for that). She drove great the whole trip, not a buck or stutter one, and pulled my little Bantam trailer like it wasn't there.

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

Weather was perfect and the constant rain we had been getting across the state had finally stopped. 82 degrees end of October. Welcome to Texas!! The Toyota, as she tends to do, got many 'likes' from other campers. Great time.

@Javelin jealous of that setup! Love the TT sliders and really really like the simplicity of the Gamviti!

Got to practice some more on the hood with the DA polisher and other items. Purchased a 3/4" soft interface pad for the DA Polisher/Sander to add a little more cushion to the backing plates. Pretty much figured out that best approach for me is to hit the orange peel with 1500 on the DA either damp or wet, then have to hand/block sand with 2k until I dont hear or feel the peel anymore. Then 5 passes with the Ultra Cut on an orange pad and she is good to go (for me at least). Hood is done, so now to start moving to other body panels.

@Javelin jealous of that setup! Love the TT sliders and really really like the simplicity of the Gamviti!

Got to practice some more on the hood with the DA polisher and other items. Purchased a 3/4" soft interface pad for the DA Polisher/Sander to add a little more cushion to the backing plates. Pretty much figured out that best approach for me is to hit the orange peel with 1500 on the DA either damp or wet, then have to hand/block sand with 2k until I dont hear or feel the peel anymore. Then 5 passes with the Ultra Cut on an orange pad and she is good to go (for me at least). Hood is done, so now to start moving to other body panels.

love that 60!

Thanks!

@Javelin Wow, that Gamiviti rack looks fantastic. I saw one in person today for the first time on an 80 (upside-down expo) and now I'm super curious. Can you adjust the height of the rack?

@Javelin Wow, that Gamiviti rack looks fantastic. I saw one in person today for the first time on an 80 (upside-down expo) and now I'm super curious. Can you adjust the height of the rack?

Thanks! Yes the mounts allow for height adjustment. Mine is currently on the lowest setting.

305,468 miles and going strong. This is my favorite oil change combo by far.

I’ve got 4500 miles on the H55F since August and it feels great now, almost as good as the worn out H42.

View attachment 1818825
Just have a couple hundred on mine. I actually drove it up to my buddy's ranch about 50 miles away and got some good 5th gear time in. 65MPH at just under 2500 RPM. Felt great. Still get that resistance between gears, but trusting a lot of that will go away after a couple thousand miles. Its funny, they all feel like that but 5th totally feels different....smoothest one to slide into.

Got this in the post from down under!

20181030_141206.jpg

Hey, when you're retired, everyday is a weekend. So here we go. Delivered a truckload of FJ60 body parts to @mcguirejohnson in Trinidad, CO on Halloween. They'll eventually end up with @CenTXFJ60. After we transferred the parts from my cab-over camper to his Tacoma my wife and I continued further into CO to explore some areas we had never been to and an area we hadn't been to in many years. This was the aftermath of the first decent snowstorm to hit the area this season, and some places we drove through got hammered really good. Cucharas Pass (elevation 9,938 feet) had at least 18" of fresh snow. We continued to US 160 and over North La Veta Pass to Great Sand Dunes National Park, where we camped for the night (last day of the camping season at the park). This morning we hiked from the campground over to the dunes and climbed to one of the highest points, easy because the sand was mostly wet and packed down. Some areas still had snow cover and other areas were frozen. Here are some photos:

West Spanish Peak on the right, elevation 13,626 feet. Cucharas Pass is on the southwest flank.

Trip-1.jpg

The approach to Great Sand Dunes:

Trip-2.jpg

Mt. Herard, elevation 13,350 feet.

Trip-3.jpg

Looking towards Medano Pass, one of @POTATO LAUNCHER's favorite places in CO:

Trip-4.jpg

The Blanca Massif, home to Blanca Peak, elevation 14,345 feet, and three other Colorado 14'ers (I've climbed three of the four):

Trip-5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom