What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taking the GX in for a long awaited exhaust upgrade. Going with Doug Thorley long tube headers, GESi HO SS cats, and 2.5" custom bent and welded tube with a magnaflow muffler. Going to be hot!
Typically exhaust does get hot. :rofl:

Looking forward to the end results when you are done.

Doing a pre and post dyno to prove the upgrade helps once and for all.

A few things happening!

57473043_2268378233227032_8912350408156905472_n.jpg

57595662_307875416572765_4160790718081662976_n.jpg

58377855_10156277108553123_6973823726630469632_n.jpg

Since it's Jeep Safari, and insane this week, I went for the bench test.
I have no idea what my stock GX articulation is, but it's more than lifted Xterras I've seen.
So, with MetalCloak's table in town I got some data.

Of course the spotter gave flack for IFS and was 'concerned' I wouldn't clear the ramp @ breakover.

So (FWIW) Stock suspension, 07 sport with KDSS and 265x70 17" KO2 LRE @22 PSI and 0.75" front spacer It scored 440 CTI (Corner Travel Index= "Calculation of CTI simply adds four numbers and multiplies by 10."), My score was 12 PF and 10 DR with cumulative CTI of 440. How that compares to standard RTI @ 20 degrees, I'm not sure.

Not terrible for DD, road-tripper, family camping rig, but what do i know? ;) I've had no issues getting where I want to get (esp with the little leveler puck giving more clearnace under the skid), so I guess I now have a number for comparison.
They dropped the table before I could get a good angled pic, oh well maybe I'll go back and do it again with airbags lifted....but when there's no line. 😉😁

*EDIT* yesterday was their last day of demos, of course. I watched their videos and read up on their website so NOW I have the questions, know what I want to look for and know they should walk me through things with observations and advice.
Oh well, next year I guess, unless they come back for the fall Jeep Jamboree. . . 🤔

IMG_20190419_120936.jpg

IMG_20190419_113902.jpg

gosh THIS comparison is humbling... or is it humiliating? 🤪🤭🤘
IMG_20190419_120635.jpg

Is that some KDSS lean showing up during full flex? 🤔

Last edited:
It would be great to get the CTI of various GX470s like stock non-kdss, upgraded with a 2.5” lift, and @Vlads somewhat modified gx470

I was in the area and went to the beach near Manhattan Beach. No off-roading, but cruised along the coast with the sunroof and windows open.

7DCDEF21-43CA-438B-9991-A8B3787CE9AE.jpeg

Last edited:
It would be great to get the CTI of various GX470s like stock non-kdss, upgraded with a 2.5” lift, and @Vlads somewhat modified gx470
and have it stickied/referenceable!! different lifts, OME, Icon, Bilstein, toytek, boss, dobson, radflow, blahblahblah

Maybe a GX club with lots of members and various setups could rent the MetalCloak table setup and run some test! Lol

Maybe a GX club with lots of members and various setups could rent the MetalCloak table setup and run some test! Lol
Their site suggests they're out to generate a huge data set.
Corner Travel Index
"Since 2014, we've traveled 42 states documenting over 5000 Suspension tests and helping thousands of Jeep owners with their rigs."

But we'd be asking them to collect data out of Jeep bias... ;) Which would be good for their reach, the market and knowledge.

Last edited:
Finally went after the clunk in my driver's side door. Turns out the inside end of the latch had caught the edge of some sheet metal inside and bent it in so it would catch and pop every time you open the door. Had to find a way to pry the sheet metal back into shape, and now, smooth, luxurious door opening. Mmmmm.

Got stuck in the mud today in Pagosa Springs. Full story with pix here:

Installed rad rubber splash shields and new control arms front and rear. well the front LCA was just putting new whiteline bushings into my old arms from my 06 tacoma and installing them onto my GX. all the other control arms are new

Installed rad rubber splash shields and new control arms front and rear. well the front LCA was just putting new whiteline bushings into my old arms from my 06 tacoma and installing them onto my GX. all the other control arms are new

Also, installing the whiteline bushings suck. just trying to use a master ball joint press kit thing from autozone sucks since you have one side that you need but not for the other side. its like the kit could really use 2 of each piece. Also, glad i didnt have to remove the old stock bushings since i did that like 6 years ago.

Took a long weekend to go skiing / camping. Right off the bat got stuck in some very unsuspecting mud after a series of embarrassingly bad decisions, including having a winch with no rope :oops:
So I put on my walking shoes and found a very nice gentleman who was already winching a tacoma out of a nearby lake bed, and he agreed to help put my new Dissent recovery points to the test.
Couldn't get over how stupid / lucky I was, so spent the next few nights in snopark lots on nice stable asphalt
It was pretty warm in Tahoe this weekend, and the snow was mush Friday / Saturday but corned up nicely for Sunday

Finally went after the clunk in my driver's side door. Turns out the inside end of the latch had caught the edge of some sheet metal inside and bent it in so it would catch and pop every time you open the door. Had to find a way to pry the sheet metal back into shape, and now, smooth, luxurious door opening. Mmmmm.
I wonder if that is the sound I'm hearing on the drivers door?

Installed an e-locked 8.2 out of a 2013 4Runner Trail w/KDSS last weekend. KDSS brackets lined up perfectly!

jUEeI5J.png
If you don’t mind sharing estimated costs, just to get an idea.

If you don’t mind sharing estimated costs, just to get an idea.

I paid $1450 delivered, plus whatever 3-and-change quarts of gear oil costs. It had gear oil in it already and it looked fine, but that seemed a silly way to cheap out. :p

Nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom