Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you had a 1970 40 then you would not have to deal with all those frilly things like wire bundles, power windows and door panel molding...

I hear you and there is no rear door/window to start with but I love IFS, 4.7L v8, auto transmission, AC, power window, power door lock, sun roof ....

I am also planning on painting the roof of my 40 and I have been looking into using some hollow ultra-low-density glass microspheres as an additive in the paint, used to reduce the rate of heat transfer.
Has anyone done this?

i painted the roof of my truck with bus-kote. it is a polymer paint with the ceramic spheres to dissipate heat.
it reduced the interior temps by 17 degrees at the peak of summer last year. has held up very well.
at 50$ a gallon, its a pretty good deal.

View attachment 1732048 I've been leaving a portable weather station (air temp/humidity) in the truck for the past week just to see how hot it gets in there.
from 7 am to 11-12 it was reading 118-124 depending on clouds/outside temps, which were 104-108.
at 5 leaving work it was between 132 and 137.

I had looked into linex for the roof, and a thread popped up in the 200s forum by someone else pondering the same thing.
specifically, the rear AC blows hot air for the first few minutes and struggles to cool off the back.
someone mentioned Bus-Kote. It is a plastic based paint with ceramic material in it designed by NASA for a school district to put on their busses. (hence the name)

at $50 a can, vs over 200 for linex, I thought I'd give it a try. Amazon product ASIN B01BYGO88I

day one, leaving work interior temp 118. Day 2, temp was 124, but the rear ac vents blow luke warm air upon start up and cool down almost immediately.

it isn't as durable as linex/rino lining, but should help protect the roof from errant tiedown strap hooks or small dings from loading the roof rack.
plus, I'm all kinds of hipster-retro with the white top on red cruiser :grinpimp:

so far,very happy with the investment.

i painted the roof of my truck with bus-kote. it is a polymer paint with the ceramic spheres to dissipate heat.
it reduced the interior temps by 17 degrees at the peak of summer last year. has held up very well.
at 50$ a gallon, its a pretty good deal.
Perfect, that is the kind of info that I was looking for. I remember reading that bus-kote was specially made by the government to be applied to school buses in an attempt to keepthe temps down inside.
Cheers-
Rusty and Ralphie

I had been having a terrible PW leak of lately. The 3/8 sized hose came off and was the reason I was pissing ATF everywhere @Jgunner and I got it back on yesterday afternoon/evening. Two burns later (my forearms) and a lot of swearing we were only able to get it back on enough to get it past the lip and secured it with a worm gear hose clamp. I bought the hose kit from @NLXTACY, as much as a pain to get it back on I do not understand how it came off. Has anyone else had this issue?

I had been having a terrible PW leak of lately. The 3/8 sized hose came off and was the reason I was pissing ATF everywhere @Jgunner and I got it back on yesterday afternoon/evening. Two burns later (my forearms) and a lot of swearing we were only able to get it back on enough to get it past the lip and secured it with a worm gear hose clamp. I bought the hose kit from @NLXTACY, as much as a pain to get it back on I do not understand how it came off. Has anyone else had this issue?
Yeah, that hose was a pain, i was about to go get some regular hose and tossing that one. Its like hydraulic hose or something, way more than a return line needs, but it was high quality. Of course, a fully heated up engine bay only made things more interesting......

Got my top mocked up
66778.jpeg
66688.jpeg
66119.jpeg

Had Best Buy install a new compustar remote start system (no t-taps were used). I'm so happy to be able to unlock the doors from more than 10 feet away!!

I'm really impressed with the guy who installed the system. 10 years at the shop, all military wire splices, took his time and didnt rush anything. Very accommodating to my highlighted list of options to configure and special requests of where to mount things. Had them move the antenna to the right of the mirror to accommodate a future Gentech mirror and forward camera setup. Had 2x Aux outputs routed to accessible place under the dash to trigger my rack mounted area lights and lastly removed the RS3000 OEM system.

Now I'm ready for summer!!

I had good luck with Gates and Goodyear 3/8 hoses. They are very easy to install. Other brands from Napa, Autozone ..... are not so easy to install, usually require heat, lubricant, hose plier, swearing and good luck.

Greased driveshafts and new PCV valve/grommet. Valve was still good but now I know when it was replaced.

I had good luck with Gates and Goodyear 3/8 hoses. They are very easy to install. Other brands from Napa, Autozone ..... are not so easy to install, usually require heat, lubricant, hose plier, swearing and good luck.

I just may look into the Goodyear/Gates option. That hose was a pain in the ass.

@medtro and @Saddletramp helped me swap out my OEM springs for new OME 2866s. The stock springs weren't cutting it with the weight of the rear bumper, RTT, and my daily load. We also swapped in a new pair of OEM shocks. Thanks to Steve's special tool, we didn't have a problem removing the old shocks.

Gained 2 inches in the rear. Need to adjust the torsion bars. Passenger side was seized, so we will try again soon after some PB blaster.

IMG_20190429_082435.jpg

Last edited:
Got a couple of other items done making for a good week of small projects completed. Sway bar end links done as well as 4.8a dual USB installed in 12V plug location. Constant power jumper made up and will throw that in today.

Constant and patient scouring pays off...last weekend picked up a single Tundra wheel for $20 from CL in the style I planned on changing too. Then sooner than expected, Friday snagged a full set for $100 found on Offerup! Can't beat a 5 set of 18's for $120. Socking them away until tires are required.

Capture 2.JPG

Added a fairing to the front of the RTT. @Saddletramp fabricated some brackets out of some steel angle. We also cut up a piece of ABS I had from another project. We followed the Gamiviti fairing template (thanks @brices123). I made a couple cross bars out of aluminum angle for stiffness. Barely any wind noise now.

IMG_20190501_125119.jpg
IMG_20190501_125113.jpg
IMG_20190501_175727.jpg
IMG_20190501_175733.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom