What Did I Screw Up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Threads
116
Messages
334
Location
Clarksville, TN 37043
I have a 1979 FJ40 with a 2F engine with all the emission equipment still on the vehicle.

I was having an issue with a little smoke only at start-up and only until the FJ got warm. I was told that I also had a leaking manifold gasket. I decided to tackle both issues at the same time. I carefully removed the carburetor and set it aside, then the intake and exhaust manifolds, and finally the rocker arm assembly.

I took the manifolds to a respected machine shop to have them decked. While the manifolds were being worked on, I replaced the valve stem seals.

I used an air compressor to hold the valve up while I replaced the seal.

I put everything back together and started it up, and it immediately started smoking at various times, black and grey smoke. It smokes like a locomotive all the time. If that is not bad enough, it leaks a lot of oil from the joint where the EGR pipe connects to the bottom of the exhaust manifold. The EGR cooler is coated in oil. I can’t tell if it is just because of the oil running down the EGR pipe or if it is also leaking out of the EGR cooler.

I can smell oil at the exhaust.

If that isn’t bad enough, I’m now getting a significant amount of gas into the oil pan.

A friend took the Asian 2-barrel carburetor apart, cleaned and tuned it. We took it out for a 50-mile ride on Saturday, and the cruiser never started, idled, or ran better than it does right now, but it leaked or burned 2 quarts of oil during the 50-mile ride.

What could I have done to cause these problems?

Is it possible a defective mechanical fuel pump could be pushing gas directly into the engine?

I need your wisdom…………..
 
Is it possible a defective mechanical fuel pump could be pushing gas directly into the engine?


That's a easy thing to check off the list, pull it and take a look. Remove the top cover after you pull the pump, see if the rubber it deteriorated or torn.
 
Yes fuel pump can leak gas into the engine oil, might be able to rebuild it with a kit. Or bypass it with a $10 electric fuel pump from Amoron/eboy.

Maybe you tore a valve stem seal or two during the install - or they didn't seat correctly and have come loose - take the cover off and look/pull to see if they are all seated still.

I know nothing about EGR crap.

Maybe some free manuals download, I'll post a link later its not on this computer

added Land Cruiser Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) - https://www.cruisercult.com/factory-service-manuals
 
Last edited:
Your issues are most likely something or several things assembled incorrectly. Don't add to the problems by disassembling something else. Start with the easiest.
 
I have a 1979 FJ40 with a 2F engine with all the emission equipment still on the vehicle.

I was having an issue with a little smoke only at start-up and only until the FJ got warm. I was told that I also had a leaking manifold gasket. I decided to tackle both issues at the same time. I carefully removed the carburetor and set it aside, then the intake and exhaust manifolds, and finally the rocker arm assembly.

I took the manifolds to a respected machine shop to have them decked. While the manifolds were being worked on, I replaced the valve stem seals.

I used an air compressor to hold the valve up while I replaced the seal.

I put everything back together and started it up, and it immediately started smoking at various times, black and grey smoke. It smokes like a locomotive all the time. If that is not bad enough, it leaks a lot of oil from the joint where the EGR pipe connects to the bottom of the exhaust manifold. The EGR cooler is coated in oil. I can’t tell if it is just because of the oil running down the EGR pipe or if it is also leaking out of the EGR cooler.

I can smell oil at the exhaust.

If that isn’t bad enough, I’m now getting a significant amount of gas into the oil pan.

A friend took the Asian 2-barrel carburetor apart, cleaned and tuned it. We took it out for a 50-mile ride on Saturday, and the cruiser never started, idled, or ran better than it does right now, but it leaked or burned 2 quarts of oil during the 50-mile ride.

What could I have done to cause these problems?

Is it possible a defective mechanical fuel pump could be pushing gas directly into the engine?

I need your wisdom…………..
That’s why my moto is

”if it ain’t broke…don’t fix it!”
 
I would start by itemizing every item you touched, and ensure that those items are ruled out before moving on. I re-read your post a few times and you did not replace, remove or touch the fuel pump, correct? I'll echo @pb4ugo
 
I’m now getting a significant amount of gas into the oil pan.
Fix this first while we ponder the leaking oil burning problem...
Gas in the oil pan is usually from a leaking fuel pump. Since you can't rebuild that fuel pump, you'll have to replace it, get a good one.
Gas leaking from a stuck needle valve in the carb is possible, but the engine would probably not be running well and you would see it through the porthole window.
What valve seals did you use? People have been complaining about bad valve seals for a while, unable to get the good OEM seals or something.
 
Back
Top Bottom