Weatherstripping Guide 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got to get pics, but the doors are now all done with 75 series door seals (pre '99) i also did the rear barn door seals using leftover 60 series door seal and a 55 door seal. I had one 55 door seal that was still soft but broken in sections but i've stuck it on and made it work. Could have easily done it with another 75 series seal as well. All seals are really tight and you have to give the door a good slam for them to shut properly. The seals don't rub on the latch so they shouldn't wear down over the years. I also replaced the seals on the windows in the barn doors. The seals i had were ok but i ruined 2 of them while trying to put them back in. They were too brittle and the rope just sliced through them. I'll get some pics of the progress tonight as well as the 75 series door seal part no's

well I finally got the door seals that I bought on ebay installed. they went on great. The fit is just right and the doors close good. The auction is still active on ebay, They are being shipped out of Thailand but seems like they came pretty quickly.

well I finally got the door seals that I bought on ebay installed. they went on great. The fit is just right and the doors close good. The auction is still active on ebay, They are being shipped out of Thailand but seems like they came pretty quickly.

Pics? They were around $150 shipped correct?

Sent from my iPhone

If you don't mind, what type glue did you use? Mine were a pain to hold, had to clean the rubber with a solvent, before any thing would stick.

I used permatex weatherstrip adhesive. I did the glue part last and just used my finger to apply small amounts of glue to the door and seal. By the time I was finished the end I started with was tacked up enough to stick together. I only had to put tap in a couple areas and then I just closed the door to let it set up.

I used permatex weatherstrip adhesive. I did the glue part last and just used my finger to apply small amounts of glue to the door and seal. By the time I was finished the end I started with was tacked up enough to stick together. I only had to put tap in a couple areas and then I just closed the door to let it set up.

I know when I glued my tailgate WS in I used a LOT of painter's tape to hold everything in place...

Thought I would post this here. I've been on the 45 section lately and came across a vendor who is trying to reproduce weatherstrip kits for the 45's. In post #32 he mentions possibly providing kits for us pig owners, but needs some original weather strip for templates. Maybe we can start a conversation with him. Here's his thread:

For Sale: - Any FJ40/45 rubber, ANY!

Here's his quote:

I received 3 kits Monday, 2-45 & 1-40. Of course they are not complete but they are something I can work through. The quality looks great!

The wings I got are for '75 and newer. They said it was a mistake and many of the parts that are supposed to be in pairs came alone but so far everything looks great. The under windshield rubber fits very well but that is all I have been able to test so far.

If anyone needs the newer wings give me a call, the first is free if you test them for fit right away. I have no newer doors to try them on. I also have the door complete package for a '75 and newer if someone wants to try those for me, hopefully the same person...

For the rear fixed cab slider I would need an example to have it made. Anyone have one in bad shape that is good for measurements?

I am making good progress on these and I hope to have the complete early kits also very soon.

For those of you wanting the FJ55 kits I am afraid I would need everything for ezamples, I sold my 55 a few years ago. Or if someone local has one I can buy cheap?

For the carb spacer I would need a perfect one, it could be old and no longer flexable, even cracked. Anyone have one to sell me?

Seems like the side cargo window seal is the hard one to find and I have been looking around and found these:
SIDE WINDOW

I cannot vouch for the quality and I don't know if they will actually show up but I'll update if they do!

Hell, at that price it's worth a shot!!! Great find! I talked with a rep on the phone and he said the parts are in stock if not listed as NLA or discontinued.

I went ahead and ordered a set too since I'll going to need a full weatherstrip kit later this summer and SloCruisers is still working on sourcing the cargo window ws.

Fingers crossed...

And just got denied. The email says that they will not fit my cruiser and the ones that will are NLA... so they refunded my money. Sorry for the false alarm.

And just got denied. The email says that they will not fit my cruiser and the ones that will are NLA... so they refunded my money. Sorry for the false alarm.

Bummer, that was a great price.

@dingoFJ55 Do you know how the eBay Thailand door weatherstripping compares to what Slocruisers sells? After shipping it's $160 from Thailand ($120 now plus $40 shipping) and Slo sells them for $160.

EDIT:
Actually I think I was looking at the wrong one on Slo, That says door body seals Door Body Seals--All 4 And I've heard that you can use later model 4runner or LC ones for these?

It's $250 for the ones that attach to the doors from Slo, not $160 like I first posted.

I have not seen the ones from Slo, I have bought the windshield , cargo and upper tailgate window seal from them though but have not used them yet. The seals I got from ebay are working perfectly, they have been on the truck for several months but my truck is not complete yet. I only have the windows in the pass side doors, waiting to get cowl touched up and the painter wanted to reshoot the doors and tailgate too. The fit on them is pretty good, not loose anywhere and all the corners are where they should be. I posted some photos on post #36 of when I got them and did a test fitting. Post #46 from Nov is when I was putting them on the truck.

I need the weatherstrip that runs along the lower window opening of the front doors (the piece that the window runs through as it is rolled up and down)

Per the spreadsheet on pg 1, do I need "window channel front right/front left"

Is there a piece internal and external of the window?

My windows rattle, especially when rolled down partially. I have no weather strip at all in this location.

I wound up using some generic pieces from Rockauto.com and cut them to fit. In the door for the glass run I used 4 Fairchild 04528. for the window scrapers I used two different style. on the inside I used a similar felt wiper style Fairchild 0148 and on the outside I upgraded to a squeegee type that you see on most modern cars, it is Fairchild 1181. The specific part numbers I ordered with Rockauto are:

118127X3, which is 3 pieces that are 27inches long, I ordered 2 of these so I got 6 pieces at 27 in long.
014827X3. again 3 pieces that are 27 inches long, I must of had a piece because I do not recall ordering a 4th piece.

I have finished 2 doors and everything seems good so far, maybe a little tight but hopefully that will relax over time. I do not seem to have any photos of installing the weatherstriping.

I wound up using some generic pieces from Rockauto.com and cut them to fit. In the door for the glass run I used 4 Fairchild 04528. for the window scrapers I used two different style. on the inside I used a similar felt wiper style Fairchild 0148 and on the outside I upgraded to a squeegee type that you see on most modern cars, it is Fairchild 1181. The specific part numbers I ordered with Rockauto are:

118127X3, which is 3 pieces that are 27inches long, I ordered 2 of these so I got 6 pieces at 27 in long.
014827X3. again 3 pieces that are 27 inches long, I must of had a piece because I do not recall ordering a 4th piece.

I have finished 2 doors and everything seems good so far, maybe a little tight but hopefully that will relax over time. I do not seem to have any photos of installing the weatherstriping.

Thanks for the info.

Will order and give it a shot.

hopefully using the squeegee trim on the outside I can keep the nature out of the door and limit future rust... of course my pig sits inside now and the helicopters and pine needles should not be a problem anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom