Weatherstripping Guide 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scrapdaddy, I used OEM glass that came with the doors. Is the OEM thinner than the cut glass? It seems to be close to 1/4" thick and I definitely had the same problem as you did. I'll try and take pictures of the cut area around the door strike. It isn't as clean as I would have liked. I'm thinking about gluing some smaller pieces back in place to close up the now exposed ends of the weatherstrip.

The OEM glass is tempered and is @ 3/16. The Glass that you cut to size, can't be tempered and is 1/4 thick, or so he told me. :)

Hmmn… I use a glass guy here for large shower doors and enclosures. He told me they cut and hone the glass and then run it through an oven to temper it. I'll have to ask him if 1/4" thick glass is too thin for him to temper. He was going to be my go to guy if ever I needed replacement glass.

Here you go Scrapdaddy. Like I said, it's a bit crude of a trim job, but it's better than the door strike eventually tearing apart the door seal.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking of doing. One of my rear doors pulled the seal out of the track, because of the door striker.

Abqcruiser - Nice work on the seals. What did you do for the fixed glass in the rear side doors? (pics please).

xtremeVA, I took the plunge and bought them from SloCruisers. They were a pain to install, and I still couldn't get them to seat properly. I can honestly say it was worse trying to install those damn things, than installing the tailgate. If you do tackle this yourself, make sure you put the operable glass in the door, not installed but at least sitting somewhere in there. You won't be able to put it in if the fixed glass is installed first. I found this out the hard way.

I was looking at a friends fj60 and noticed that it also has a fixed rear panel. The size is different, but the style of the weatherstrip looks the same. He has a couple of old doors and is going to give me the fixed glass seals. I thought I would experiment with a couple and see how hard it would be to cut and glue them to make one. It might be a viable alternative to the super expensive other option.

Body trim seal: I went with Fairchild# 15001-25 ( Others have used Fairchild# 15004-25. This really stressed out my doors, even before the fj60 weatherstrip was installed. The pinch point near the hinges was especially bad.

I had the 15004 and used that on the drivers front and rear doors. I can close the rear one fine, but i have to slam the bejesus out of the front to get it shut all the way. i'm gonna order a roll of the 15001 now, thanks for the info!

Fern, I bought a set a couple weeks ago figured for $99 it was worth a shot, emailed the guy about the photo saying 40 series and he replied promptly saying that it was typo and that they are definitely for FJ55.... I hope so. Not sure when they should get in but I will reply once I get them.

Fern, I bought a set a couple weeks ago figured for $99 it was worth a shot, emailed the guy about the photo saying 40 series and he replied promptly saying that it was typo and that they are definitely for FJ55.... I hope so. Not sure when they should get in but I will reply once I get them.
Hey @dingoFJ55
Thanks for guinea-pigging em!

The door weatherstrip came in today, they look and feel pretty nice. I will compare them to the old pieces I have removed and do some light test fitting... I am still doing body work and do not wish to install prior to painting, nor do I want to damage them putting them on and taking off. But I should be able to get a pretty good idea if the should fit.

They seem to fit very nicely, the only thing I noticed is the sealing lip looks longer on the replacements... this might make the door a little hard to close but my overall first impression is pretty good for these Ebay weatherstrips. I only test fit the one seal but held the others up to the rear doors and they looked correct also. It will be sometime after summer before I am ready to install them.

2015-0514a.JPG

2015-0514b.JPG

2015-0514c.JPG

Just in case anyone may need replacement glass for their 55 I have all four doors as replacements with all on the glass in place just in case anyone may need it at a later date. The doors missing its hinge mounts they rotted out but if you need the glass or the mechs from inside let me know I can pull it all out. I will be working on replacing my seals once I get my metal work done.

those ebay seals do look pretty close. I have recently just fitted 75 series door seals to mine as i had a few new ones in my garage. They're basically the same profile as the 60 series but i've put them on back to front (deliberately) because of the way the seal lays. The 75 series seals are longer than the 55s in both front and back door so you don't have to join a little piece in. Just cut it and its fine. You do have to give the door a good throw to get it to shut properly but i'm pretty happy with how they work for now. I'll get some install pics on the weekend when there is some decent light about.

I have some more seals for other areas on the way which i'll report back with soon. One of which may be a great replacement for the back door fixed window.

those ebay seals do look pretty close. I have recently just fitted 75 series door seals to mine as i had a few new ones in my garage. They're basically the same profile as the 60 series but i've put them on back to front (deliberately) because of the way the seal lays. The 75 series seals are longer than the 55s in both front and back door so you don't have to join a little piece in. Just cut it and its fine. You do have to give the door a good throw to get it to shut properly but i'm pretty happy with how they work for now. I'll get some install pics on the weekend when there is some decent light about.

I have some more seals for other areas on the way which i'll report back with soon. One of which may be a great replacement for the back door fixed window.

Are you using Toyota seals? P/N?

Hi,

yeah using genuine toyota seals where i can. None of them are specific to a 55 but i'm more hunting after the quality with toyota parts.

I'll put up some pics with part nos in the coming week when they all arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom