Weatherstripping Guide 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the weatherstrip from Rock auto. I see the original weather strip along the bottom of the passenger doors used clips , but the weatherstrip from Rock auto does not have provisions for clips. Which way did you orient the strips so they stay in place while the window is being rolled up? Mainly concerned with the exterior strips. The interior strips only go one way, but still lack the provisions for the factory clips.

Thanks

I had to drill out holes and reuse the original metal clips. on the felts I use a bigger drill to make a pocket for the steel clip to bed into so that it could not touch the glass. I will get some photos and post them up.

sorry for being brief but either my computer is a POS or the Mud site is... either way I can barely use this site without lockups.

Just checked with cabe and the side cargo window seals are sold out. Can anyone take a detailed picture of the profile of the original seal and some of the important measurements? I know I can find something that will work but I don't have a seal to look at. Thanks

have you tried slocruisers? just recently installed a pair of his and they look pretty good.

have you tried slocruisers? just recently installed a pair of his and they look pretty good.
In July John at Slocruisers told me that his manufacturer was having production issues and they need to get it right before a run is made. It still shows out of stock on his website. He also told me before that two windshield gaskets could be cut and used per side by a good glass guy. That would cost almost as much as a new set of cargo rubber so it might be worth holding out if you can.

so what are we using for the weatherstrip that goes on the perimeter of the doors these days? I'm mainly concerned with the front doors

didn't see a good price on FJ 60 parts, and the other Ebay link has been removed.

thanks

That is just some basic bulb seal. Do you still have my link to the BD Specialties catalog? I can measure the cross section of mine this weekend if you need dimensions...

I thought it would be helpful, to some, to show what I've used to weatherstrip my pig. I will preface this with the fact that the rig hasn't been driven yet to see if the seals are tight and not drafty, though from a visual inspection they look good.

On the doors, I used aftermarket fj60 weatherstrip from CruiserCorps. They had a sale a while back and I picked up the door seals for about $30.00 a door. I think Lambcrusher went this route as well. As he said, you will have to do some trimming around the door strikes. Also, the front doors are a little long, save the cutoff piece though. You will need it for the rear doors, which are a little short. I used 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue the pieces together and to help adhere the door seal to the doors.

View attachment 1068537
Still on the doors: I had problems with some of the belt weather strip and window channel. It made everything too tight and extremely difficult to roll the windows up and down. Here is what I went with:

Outer scraper weatherstrip: B-D Company #75001371
( This is what Pablo used on his. I would recommend re-reading his thread, I wish I had. I
originally bought fairchild # 159927x3, which was referenced somewhere in the
weatherstrip thread. It was way too stiff.)

Inner weatherstrip: Fairchild #01484x2 ( This is the felt strip that the glass glides on the inside of the door)

Window channel: Fairchild 0636-8 ( Others have used the Fairchild #04528. Again, I felt that it was too tight against the glass)

04528 is on the left, 0636-8 is on the right
View attachment 1068535

Body trim seal: I went with Fairchild# 15001-25 ( Others have used Fairchild# 15004-25. This really stressed out my doors, even before the fj60 weatherstrip was installed. The pinch point near the hinges was especially bad.

#15001 is on the left. #15004 is on the right.
View attachment 1068540

I still had to do a little trimming and re-glueing of the trim seal near the hinges to reduce the binding. And yes I did try to adjust out my hinges to get more room for the weatherstrip.

I was able to buy pretty much all of the weatherstrip out of Rock Auto. They definitely have the best prices. I hope this helps. The doors still spring open a little bit on their own, but it is a lot better than before. If anyone wants to go with the other weatherstrip that didn't work for me, let me know. I have plenty that I'm not going to use. I can't return it, so make me an offer. I hope others chime in on what has and hasn't worked for them. Good Luck!

I just ordered the 15001 for the body trim seal....but how does it install? DO you have some pics? I have the factory trip that runs around the body door opening, and don't see room for weatherstrip. Does the 15001 clip on or is it glued on?

Thanks

On the rear cargo area window gasket.

Is that a one piece gasket?

I'm thinking of cutting the gasket. Removing the glass and gluing it all back into my farm Pig.

Farm Pig has no glass in it. I've got glass but no gaskets

Buying a set of $400 gaskets for this pile is not in the cards

IMG_5165.JPG

On the rear cargo area window gasket.

Is that a one piece gasket?

I'm thinking of cutting the gasket. Removing the glass and gluing it all back into my farm Pig.

Farm Pig has no glass in it. I've got glass but no gaskets

Buying a set of $400 gaskets for this pile is not in the cards

The cargo glass uses a one piece gasket. You shouldn't have to cut it out though. They are similar to the windshield where it can be carefully pushed out from the inside. I haven't removed glass from a pig yet because mine didn't have any glass installed when I bought it but I have removed a couple windshields before on older Toyota trucks.

The cargo glass uses a one piece gasket. You shouldn't have to cut it out though. They are similar to the windshield where it can be carefully pushed out from the inside. I haven't removed glass from a pig yet because mine didn't have any glass installed when I bought it but I have removed a couple windshields before on older Toyota trucks.
i've pulled the cargo glass with gasket a few times, no issues. couple screwdrivers to get it started, the put the screwdriver all the way through and push it along and it will feed the gasket through

yes, glass is still installed. i push it to the glass and gasket towards the outside of the rig, never had help. when it gets close, you just go outside and give it that last yank and out it comes

yeah but you have like six arms, doncha? a clumbsy ox like me needs to have a catcher for the glass....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom