Wandering on highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been reading through wandering threads for a while. Nothing spoke to me, so I'm posting my scenario in hopes somebody has some insight.

Had my FZJ80 in at Landcruisers Northwest (Portland OR) for a front end job. New bearings, birfields, seals, rotors, calipers, etc. Fixed the front end shimmy during breaking, but left us with a noticeable wander on the highway. The rig drove very straight before the job. Very straight.

Took it to Alignment Specialties in Aloha where Matt and Bill checked everything. Disconnected steering linkage and confirmed adequate tension on the bearings. All bushings were good, no geometry issues, etc.

Their only thought was maybe the steering gear box is worn and sticking....they kept referring to resistance in the steering. Said it might result in some oversteering that feels like wandering. Maybe I'd by that, but wander doesn't happen only when I'm changing lanes, so not sure.

My understanding is limited. Any thoughts?

Could the rear bearings need service? Seems like some slop there could cause some wandering?

The design of the steering gear box keeps wear limited to almost none. Most rebuilds are done just to repair leaks.

However, the screw protruding from the top of the box, if adjusted, can take up some slack in the steering feel. With this you want to make small adjustments at a time meaning 1/4 to half turn of the screw. Then, tighten up the jam nut, test drive and repeat. This is touchy as you don’t want to damage gears by adjusting them too close together.

Your problem sounds to be related to insufficient toe in of the front wheels though.

Yes, loose rear wheel bearings or worn and loose suspension bushings could affect how straight you 80 tracks down the road.

Would be a good idea to replace all of your suspension bushings anyway.

Hi, Try an alignment shop that does a lot of trucks. Mike

Have them adjust to the max toe in setting if not more If you have larger tires.

Second front end bushings if not done already.

Where is your caster at? More than factory spec does wonders for wander

Edit: I’ve stopped taking my trucks in to alignment shops if lifted. Factory specs are for factory rides... I eyeball measure for a hair of toe. Then adjust in till it drives they way I want it too. Then rotate tires and watch for wear patterns.

i would guess toe being your issue also. is your rig lifted or on oversized tires or stock?

did this happen before all of the work you did?
Happened after the work. Shop said they never disconnected the tie-rods so alignment didn't change. Shop thought maybe the weight of the front end hanging might have stressed some bushings....alignment shop seemed to confirm that was not the issue. Previous owner replaced most/maybe all of the bushings at least in the front end. Will look closer at rear.

Rig is lifted *maybe* an inch w/OME, previous owner. 33" x 12.5" MT. Not sure what rim offset, but they stick out a little.

I will look around for a truck alignment shop. Previous guy seemed to know his stuff as relates to lifted rigs, but takes an expert to know one I suppose, so I might be wrong.

Also thought about taking it to Dealership, they've got an alignment camera that gives you a print out every time you drive through their service bay. Not sure I have the eye/skills/time to attempt to adjust myself...wife drives it everyday.

PO replaced bushings, but unless he bought them at the toyota counter, they may be shot already. So I wouldn't eliminate bushings as a possible contributor.

Any lift (even an inch) with no caster correction will result in some wandering. The only thing that gets me here is that you say the truck drove perfectly straight before service. Even if your gut says the problem started after service, caster correction will definitely help.

What is the toe-in spec the alignment shop printout said? Adjusting toe-in is not difficult, even for a novice, assuming your tie rod ends are not stuck too badly.

If the toe-in was set by the PO's mechanic and they had NOT done the wheel bearings and front end for THAT alignment, then after YOU have the mechanical work done, the tie-rod and wheel bearings will be in a new position and will wander.

Could also be that the wheel bearings were torqued per the FSM specs and they have already come loose. Torque per @Tools R Us advise.

Something is missing here. The parts you had replaced would not cause the wander you are describing.

Bad control arm bushing - random uncontrollable wander. This would make the truck scary to drive.

Toe - this shouldn't have been touched. IF the tie rod ends were removed or rotated, toe would be off.

Caster - affected by lift. If the lift didn't change, caster didn't change.

Steering box adjustment nut - out of adjustment and the dead zone would be huge.

Steering box rebuild without proper preload on bearings - HUGE dead zone in steering.

Panhard bushings? - never experienced this one but it could be similar to bad control arm bushings.

Are ALL 6 front radius (control) arm bolts, and both front panhard bolts torqued properly @ 130 #ft?

I agree with @BILT4ME , start by looking at what was changed during service.

There's only a handful of usual suspects for a wandering 80, and steering box is low on the list IMO

Wheel bearing adjustment,
toe in,
not enough caster,
loose or worn panhard bushings,
loose or worn control arm bushings,
loose control arm or panhard bolts,
worn tie rod ends,
incorrect tire pressures,
loose steering box adjustment

Any one of these could be the cause, or it could be a combo of things.

Check your steering arms under the knuckles. They should be torqued to 71ft/lbs according the FSM. Trunnion caps on top of the knuckles should be torqued the same.

Another test is to jack up the drivers side front wheel. Push pull the tire vertical and then horizontal. Switch to the passenger side. If you have any play, then your bearing preload isn't set correctly.

Mine did it too and it was a combination of things. I changed some bushings and adjusted the wheel bearings and it got alittle better but still did it but not as bad. I just adjusted my gearbox and haven't drove it yet but I'll get back to you...

Well one problem here is our roads have deep grooves from trucks, but if it did not do this before, when you do a knuckle job and shim it different will change the alignment, I have also seen shops to over tighten the wheel bearings, does it pull to one side more than the other , also check panard bushings and control arm bushings front and rear, mine is a blood hound, and she hunts but not all the time, some roads are better than others the the 205 is crap and same with the I-5 in some places in Oregon

Mine was wondering like a champ... did the wheel bearing adjustment today and it's much, much tighter.

Update. No real improvement. However, I drove behind my wife and it is pretty obvious the rig is not tracking down the highway straight. I am suspecting a frame issue? Maybe just needs a 4wheel alignment. My plan is to take it back to Alignment Specialties with this new information.

Any other thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom