Vendor - Trail Tailor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you've got a hitch it wouldn't be anything to run a recovery point off of their. You can get an bow shackle insert or a pig tail style hook.

I was looking at those. But if using a bridle in the front between two recovery points is recommended, then is it advisable to only use one recovery point on the rear, especially one point that uses only a single pin to tie it into the vehicle?

Not that I am trying to question you, as I am certainly no expert, just wanting to make sure my systems are thought through.

I was looking at those. But if using a bridle in the front between two recovery points is recommended, then is it advisable to only use one recovery point on the rear, especially one point that uses only a single pin to tie it into the vehicle?

Not that I am trying to question you, as I am certainly no expert, just wanting to make sure my systems are thought through.

I think that's a good question. If you think about it though you're tow hitch is tied into both sides of the frame, so you are already equal. As for the pin, the shear strength on those is going to be something ridiculous, most likely greater than 100,000 lbs. You will snap your cable or strap long before you lose the pin. In fact it is probably the strongest part of that system by a long shot.

Can you get a "D shackle" in there to hook up?

Looking at the new Demello front bumper, do you think these would still be needed?

You can't and that's why you have to cut the factory points off. The later models (mine is an 09) are indeed different. I just cut mine off with a dremel and applied some paint to prevent rust.

Honestly I would have cut my factory points off anyways. If your bumper is trimmed they look rather unsightly to me.

How does this load equalizing bridle work? Do you attach it to the OEM tow loops using a D shackle?

Also, whats the difference of a load equalizing bridle compared to a tree saver tow strap?

[Edit: I think I found my answers here Recovery Straps and Accessories ]

These aftermarket tow points/hooks look nice, but do you have to move the radiator in order to fit in the bolts? I don't want to touch my radiator.

If a Load Equalizing Bridle is available then why not use it? It just spreads the load across both points. There is no downside to using it whatsoever. You will have to unbolt the radiator and slide it up just a hair then drop it back down. It's not difficult at all and doesn't require messing with fluids. I don't consider myself a mechanic and I did it no problem.

I think that's a good question. If you think about it though you're tow hitch is tied into both sides of the frame, so you are already equal. As for the pin, the shear strength on those is going to be something ridiculous, most likely greater than 100,000 lbs. You will snap your cable or strap long before you lose the pin. In fact it is probably the strongest part of that system by a long shot.

Thank you for the response, makes me feel a lot better about using the hitch.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to seeing what other products Trail Tailor comes up with for the 120, the stuff for other series looks good.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to seeing what other products Trail Tailor comes up with for the 120, the stuff for other series looks good.

My guess would be it will depend on how his current two offerings are received. Hopefully the guys here will enjoy his product and get a lot of value out of it.

Cool little fact I just learned while ordering Oetiker CV Boots on the Trail Tailor site. When I was completing the purchase it had only one choice for shipping which was $0.00. Sent @reevesci a PM to let him know that he could just wait on shipping them when the tow hooks come in so he just has to send me one package. Told him that the website didn't charge me for shipping and that there may be an issue with the store. He responded that he figures shipping into his cost so he doesn't mark-up any shipping on his products. :cheers:

Received them from cutters today. Shipping was a bit more so new prices are posted on the store.

Tow Points GX470 120 Series

IMG_20170919_150950115_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170919_151420893.jpg

Grade 10.9 bolt kit (sold separately)
IMG_20170919_151427476.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered a set- can't wait to install. Any issues if i decide to just spray paint them? I live in a pretty dry climate so not worried about rust.

Just ordered a set- can't wait to install. Any issues if i decide to just spray paint them? I live in a pretty dry climate so not worried about rust.

Painting is fine.

I have literally hundreds of sets of other model tow points out that are just painted. This is completely up to you.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom