valve cover gasket too small? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
5/73 f engine. Machine shop gave me this gasket that's way too short. [1st pic] We ordered one (unaware that the machine shop already had) and this one seems to fit. 2nd pic shows the short gasket laid over the long one.

Anybody know what's going on? Did I get an F.5 or 2F gasket from the machine shop?

Thanks

20181025_152406.jpg

20181025_152755.jpg

aftermarket quality?

.5 F is the same as your ‘73. 2F use a superior rubber one that interlocks with the aluminum valve cover. A newer aluminum valve cover was an excellent upgrade for the abused stamped steel one that came on my ‘74 F engine.

Don't know the specifics of your cork gasket, but older style cork gaskets were known to dry out with age, with shrinkage the result.

The remedy was to soak in warm water for a while, or buy a fresh gasket that hadn't shrunk.

Don't know the specifics of your cork gasket, but older style cork gaskets were known to dry out with age, with shrinkage the result.

The remedy was to soak in warm water for a while.

I'll have to remember the warm water trick.

This has been my method to keep it in place. I glue it on and poke it out to the edges. Put some weight across it so it dries flat. Then coat the other side with never-seeze. I get to use the same gasket for many removals.

Vlv Cvr Gskt 1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom