V8 conversation help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1968 fj40. I am still a newbie with FJ's but I've done my research and decided on doing a LS swap with a NV4500 5speed swap. I still have a few questions though.

What modifications need to be done to drive shafts with the NV4500?

I've been told that a split case for the transfer case is the way to go, but I, not sure what that is if some could explained that to me?

Would I need an adapter with a split case?

What I have to do any modifications to the differentials?

Thanks for any help, I'm trying to research this out but having some trouble finding answers that make sense to me.
Also if there is any thread that goes over this process that would be a huge help.

I have 1968 fj40. I am still a newbie with FJ's but I've done my research and decided on doing a LS swap with a NV4500 5speed swap. I still have a few questions though.

I've been told that a split case for the transfer case is the way to go, but I, not sure what that is if some could explained that to me?

Thanks for any help, I'm trying to research this out but having some trouble finding answers that make sense to me.
Also if there is any thread that goes over this process that would be a huge help.

Sorry... I know nothing...

But, did you really intend to title this thread "V8 Conversation Help"?

Or, did you mean it to be "V8 Conversion Help"? EDIT: I just noticed you just joined... not sure just when the "Thread Tools" button appears... you may need 10 posts or so...

If you need to correct the title, there is a "Thread Tools" button on the right side, just above your post... click it and click "Edit Title".

There's a lot of variables, but you'll probably have to shorten the rear drive line and lengthen the front drive line. The NV4500 with adapters is longer than the stock transmission.

I have an Orion. The Orion is pretty bomb-proof and has 4:1 low range. The stock split case is stronger than the earlier stock cases and I believe you can get some lower gearing for one.

You need an adapter from the NV4500 to whichever LC transfer case you use.

No mods needed for the diffs, unless you want to change gearing. I think earlier diffs or pinions might be considered weaker than later models, but I have no experience with early stuff (skinny pedal control goes a long way towards not breaking stuff). You have to have the correct flanges for diffs, transfer, and drive lines to mate, though.

There are plenty of threads. You have to search them out and extract the info you need. Search V8 and NV4500.

Good luck.

Last edited:
You know you can get H55's new from Toyota. It's got the split case attached and is a great match to an LS. Rear shaft will be short, front shaft will be long and you'll need to keep the engine at least 2" from the firewall for cooling. I'd save time and money and buy a kit from a reputable manufacturer. No point reinventing the wheel.

If you go with the Gen 3 or 4 motor and the NV4500, consider the VSS. Not a huge deal but a detail that you need to address.

You know you can get H55's new from Toyota. It's got the split case attached and is a great match to an LS. Rear shaft will be short, front shaft will be long and you'll need to keep the engine at least 2" from the firewall for cooling. I'd save time and money and buy a kit from a reputable manufacturer. No point reinventing the wheel.

Would the H55 transmission be as good at speed? I like the overdrive of the NV4500.
And do you mean an adapter kit? Or are you talking about something else?

My 350 tbi with NV4500 has a 20" rear shaft and a 32" front. The bell housing and transmission to transfer case adapters are kits from Advance Adapters. The VSS (digital speedo pulses in line with the speedo cable) another item that can be purchased.

Stealth Conversions makes a 40 pulse VSS kit that goes on the back side of the transfer-case, but I don't think they have it for a split case, if not, contact me for more choices. While you are at it look at the Downey Off Road thread here on mud, it has the Chevota V8 instruction manual posted. If you can't find it, get ahold of JohnnyC here on Mud, he can lead you to it.

Like @Downey said with the stealth vss, I have attached a picture of the FJ40 40 pulse. FYI it will NOT work with the NV4500 and the AA adapter to land cruiser tcase. The output shaft is not long enough to house the reluctor ring.
I also attached a pic of the ring on a cruiser case and a cruiser 4 speed transmission. This is what the stealth 40 pulse was intended to fit.
There are a few ways to get a 40 pulse on this setup including a clamp on ring from stealth and machining a hole in the adaptor for the sensor.
20160521_112015.jpg
20160521_112052.jpg
20160521_112052.jpg

I made my own 40-pulse VSS. It's the same idea as JTR, but they were still fiddling with their version when I needed mine. I think their's would fit OK. If not, shorten the sleeve.

vss5.jpg

vss7.jpg

vss10.jpg

vss16.jpg

VSS1.jpg

Like @Downey said with the stealth vss, I have attached a picture of the FJ40 40 pulse. FYI it will NOT work with the NV4500 and the AA adapter to land cruiser tcase. The output shaft is not long enough to house the reluctor ring.
I also attached a pic of the ring on a cruiser case and a cruiser 4 speed transmission. This is what the stealth 40 pulse was intended to fit.
There are a few ways to get a 40 pulse on this setup including a clamp on ring from stealth and machining a hole in the adaptor for the sensor.View attachment 1261756 View attachment 1261757 View attachment 1261757

Last edited:
Huh. I have the NV4500 and AA adapter.

Cut off the excess sleeve that you don't need. I just used a 40-pulse reluctor by itself. I trimmed the existing spacer sleeve as needed to line up the reluctor with the pick-up. So I have the nut, heavy washer, the reluctor ring, part of the stock sleeve, and the stock bearing. I had to enlarge the reluctor ID a little to be a slip-fit on the AA NV4500 shaft. The nut torques down on the reluctor and keeps it in place. The reluctor effectively replaces part (about 1/2") of the original spacer sleeve.

I tried it and there is only room for the washer and nut, at least on the nv4500 and aa adapter I had.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMG
Huh. I have the NV4500 and AA adapter.

Cut off the excess sleeve that you don't need. I just used a 40-pulse reluctor by itself. I trimmed the existing spacer sleeve as needed to line up the reluctor with the pick-up. So I have the nut, heavy washer, the reluctor ring, part of the stock sleeve, and the stock bearing. I had to enlarge the reluctor ID a little to be a slip-fit on the AA NV4500 shaft. The nut torques down on the reluctor and keeps it in place. The reluctor effectively replaces part (about 1/2") of the original spacer sleeve.

I considered that exact thing there was simply not room with the combo I had. My adapter was an older AA, not sure if that has changed over the years?

Yeah, I don't know either.

I considered that exact thing there was simply not room with the combo I had. My adapter was an older AA, not sure if that has changed over the years?

Would the H55 transmission be as good at speed? I like the overdrive of the NV4500.
And do you mean an adapter kit? Or are you talking about something else?

It'll be good for 70 mph on 33's at 2500 rpm with 4.11's. But seeing as it's a '68 it'll have 3.7 gears stock, so your rpm drops to 2250 with the same variables.

I used this calculator here: Gear Ratio Speed Calculator

..and these ratios here: Transmission Ratio Information

Hey Justin, Did you get your dilemma figured out? I had the same problem and ended up having an extension made for the end of the shaft on the transfer case.

Hey Justin, Did you get your dilemma figured out? I had the same problem and ended up having an extension made for the end of the shaft on the transfer case.

Can you please put up a pic or 2 of how you did it?

When Downey made the VSS for back side of T.C., if our customer had a NV4500 using an AA adapter, we had to buy the T.C. shaft nuts from AA and re-machine them for our reluctor ring housing, the re-machined nut locked and piloted/aligned the housing to the rear end of the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom