UValue's '69 FJ40 rebuild and restore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've followed along and learned a decent amount on this forum for a few years now. I figured it's probably time I start my own thread in case it could help someone else out. I'm far from a mechanic, though I know and learn enough to be perhaps be called proficient.

The background: I started this project in 2012. Today is December 15, 2016 and I just registered the car for the first time. I should be done in the next 2 weeks. It's been frustrating, expensive, exciting, and I've met some really great and terrible people along the way. The car has traveled the world to get to it's current condition and location.

I got the car in Bogota while down there visiting my brother (who does some Embassy work). I knew next to nothing about LC's at the time. This is where it all started (and ended once).

In the very beginning

IMG-20130420-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20130418-WA0002.jpg

Quite the mutt you've got there, between the 66 tub, the 75+turn signals, and the 79+amby doors.

FWIW, I ran my dune beige '68 for a year like that, with a dune beige 78 top and ambi doors bulging out at the bottom. I considered welding in a later sill to make the conversion permanent. But before I got to it, one of my buddies who got me into cruisers rolled his '79, and he talked me out of my top and doors.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.tripod.com

Quite the mutt you've got there, between the 66 tub, the 75+turn signals, and the 79+amby doors.

What makes it a 66 tub? Reverse light started with the 68 model in the US or typo and meant 69? Curious what I missed.

Not sure whats up with those ambulance doors. Not OEM but likely locally made in Columbia. Bottoms solid flat metal, hinges in wrong location and opens the opposite direction with the spare on the right. Door handle is not OEM either. I do see it has the 79+ lower door rounded radius.

Love it. Almost 50 year old cruiser I think it's great. Someone has taken care of it well and the few little oddball items make it cool. Mutts are the best dogs, everyone know that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom