Upstate FJ40 - New Guy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to take a minute and say hello. I have been following various forums on Ih8MUD for just over a year and stumbled upon this section (Clubhouse) early on and had forgotten about it. I found it yesterday. DOH!

Here's my story. My uncle bought a 1978 FJ40 in 1978. I was 5 when he bought it so I remember riding in it on occasion when I was younger. It is honestly the only vehicle I had ever dreamed about owning. I had hoped to inherit it one day and had not given it much thought in about 10 years. Fast forward to late 2012 and I get a call from my uncle's son. His son was needing lots of medical care and he needed to raise some cash. He said he listed the vehicle on Craigslist but then his Mom, my aunt, mentioned that I had often mentioned that I was interested in the FJ. He called me, thinking he would at least tell me he was selling it and see if I wanted it. Of course, I told him yes.

I bought it from him.

It had been sitting in a carport for the last 6-7 years (last insurance card in the dash was 2005) and he said he parked it when the water pump went out. He had plans to repair it and never did.

Thinking it was easy enough of a fix, I located a water pump, then started working on the fuel system. Needless to say, 7 years of sitting was not kind to the truck and what I thought was going to be bolt on the water pump and fire it up, then work out kinks, turned into a biger project.

Luckily for me, there was nothing major wrong with the truck, I just decided to replace the fuel pump, new fuel tank, lines, etc.

Two weeks ago, I finally had some help to do some small troubleshooting to see why I wasn't getting fuel from the new tank. A shot of air later and I had fuel. I hooked the lines up to the new fuel pump and turned the engine. 2 seconds later and she was running.

Now the real fun begins.

I will try to get some pics of the FJ40 up in a day or two but wanted to say hello and that I am glad I have the vehicle running and look forward to meeting some of you guys in the near future.
I am going to join UC and hope to catch up with some of you guys in the near future.

So... hello and here's to me being a proud owner of a running FJ40.

Jeff

y the way, I realized that I didn't mention where I live. I live in Greer.

I am really enjoying this site and have found lots of great information regarding my project.

Welcome, Jeff! I look forward to meeting you and seeing pictures of your FJ40! Don't forget to start a build thread ;)

Welcome to the madness Jeff....we are headed to golden mountain next weekend, would be great for ya to join us.

Welcome Jeff. Seems your the 2nd or thrid person recently to join up acquiring in some fashion a long time family rig. CONGRATS makes it that much cooler of a journey with your new land cruiser. post up some pics. Can attach a file or a link from a hosting site like picasa , photobucket etc Cheers

Great timing to get it running again. The next three months are some of the most active for us. Golden mountain next weekend, Annual on the 27th, Black Balsam Blue Ridge Parkway run! Look forward to meeting you.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I really thought about going to the event in Sparta, TN but I can't make the logistics work. I will certainly try to meet up with you guys on a trail ride or event in the near future. I have really enjoyed driving the FJ40, the "crusier" as my 2 year old calls it, and seeing the way people look at it. It has definitely been a process and a fun, continued, project.

Jeff,
Welcome. Great that it stayed in the family. Just call it the 40. We will all know what you mean.

Here are a few pics that I took last week. I will get some outside the garage soon. Excuse my messy garage!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Man that's awesome! Love the painted stripe down the side! Going to make it to our annual at Paris Mountain?

Rolling pile of class right there! Vented rear windows, old school stripe, looks to be in really nice shape.

Don't let JP see it, he'll be trying to buy it!

Thanks guys. 2 bad rust spots. 1 is the front bib and the other is the bottom of the rear ambulance door. I plan on getting the bottom patch for the door and probably just buying an aftermarket bib unless I can find one in good shape. Until then, I will just keep driving and working on things as they come up.

It has been fun working on and driving but $20 here and $50 there sure adds up fast. Preaching to the choir, right?

I do plan on coming up to the annual but need to join UC by sending dues in first. I also plan on helping with the trash pick-up so there is no solo trash man this time! Unless it's me, of course. :)

can you give me the contact info on that trailer you mentioned saturday. i know you told me his name and company he owns but i have forgotten. Pm/conversation or text me at325-2313.

The Gimpy One, I sent you a text with the contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom