Builds Unicorns are real... My dream car FJ73 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just remembered to take a picture of the data plate, to figure out what we’re axles were under this....

A582E609-9F24-49C7-9622-E9C665FE1D0C.jpeg

20A611EC-54ED-434F-8C22-F50501FD15A4.jpeg

First project was to fix the cracked front grill. Four layers of fiberglass and some plastidip later... it was also missing the center retainers, and I found they’re the same as the 80s series, so stole them out of some grills I had laying around
1982B087-7EF5-4A2F-8049-9434A6A2EEB7.jpeg
3BC4553C-6D82-4439-8B31-1A0CCDF470A6.jpeg

Wow...the flash made that repair look pretty bad. It really looks pretty good in normal light.

I just saw the wood screw and the chunk of wood on the headlight adjuster.... add that to the list.

1567693042273.png

Last edited:
Ranger OD box in front of the H55

I have so much to learn. Never heard of the Ranger OD box. Is this needed for spacing or for gearing?

I have so much to learn. Never heard of the Ranger OD box. Is this needed for spacing or for gearing?

It’s on the Advanced Adapters site. It’s been around forever. It allows you to mate the Toyota trans to the v8 and it is also a splitter box. So it will split any gear. You turn the H55 into a 10spd.

I had an FJ60 with one behind a ramjet v8 and in front of a h42. One of the most fun trucks I have ever owned.

Cheers

Found a nice reference to figure out what LS engine is in a GM by VIN

1568232324579.png

information dumping...

I was researching lift kits and found no great resource. If anyone has any comparison information, let me know. It sounds like the springs are similar to the 60 series diminsion wise.... not confirmed yet.

Ironman 4x4 does not have them on the site shown for our vehicles, but got confirm that 2" lift springs are TOY007 ($125) and TOY008B ($169). Bushings are 719uk ($110 for all needed), ubolts are 436UBK (19 2-pack).

OME are on kurt's site. Can't tell which ones are 2" lift..

CS005R Front OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs - $197.50/each ??
CS007F Front OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs - $157.50 Each +55mm 110kg

CS004RA/B Rear OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs - $187.50 Each ??
CS004RA/B Rear OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs - $187.50/each ??

OMESB1 Old Man Emu Poly Spring Bushings - $24.50 Per Spring

Been looking for a GM engine for this project. Decided to find an aluminum varient just for cool factor....

was looking for L33 varient, but came across a deal on a LM4.

Anyone know any reason to not get a LM4?

looks like it is a front sump.

LM4
The LM4 was introduced in 2003 as a lightweight version of the LM7. It was available in GM SUVs until 2005. The LM4 was also known as the Vortec 5300.

L33
The L33 was introduced in 2005 as the "High Performance" 5.3L engine. It was only available in the 1/2 ton, 4WD, extended cab Silverado and Sierra until 2007. The L33 was known as the Vortec 5300 H.O.

For specific details about these engines, please follow the links below:

Benefits
Just like the LS1 or LS6, the LM4 and L33 are strong and lightweight. With upgraded internals, they can handle around 850 hp. And, if you can find one, it will definately cost you less than an LS1 or LS6.

These 5.3L engines share a 3.780 in. bore diameter. But, they can be bored to the LS1 size (3.898 in. +). However, that will thin out the cylinder walls. A smaller bore size will keep the block strong and rigid.

Been looking for a GM engine for this project. Decided to find an aluminum varient just for cool factor....

was looking for L33 varient, but came across a deal on a LM4.

Anyone know any reason to not get a LM4?

looks like it is a front sump.

LM4
The LM4 was introduced in 2003 as a lightweight version of the LM7. It was available in GM SUVs until 2005. The LM4 was also known as the Vortec 5300.

L33
The L33 was introduced in 2005 as the "High Performance" 5.3L engine. It was only available in the 1/2 ton, 4WD, extended cab Silverado and Sierra until 2007. The L33 was known as the Vortec 5300 H.O.

For specific details about these engines, please follow the links below:

Benefits
Just like the LS1 or LS6, the LM4 and L33 are strong and lightweight. With upgraded internals, they can handle around 850 hp. And, if you can find one, it will definately cost you less than an LS1 or LS6.

These 5.3L engines share a 3.780 in. bore diameter. But, they can be bored to the LS1 size (3.898 in. +). However, that will thin out the cylinder walls. A smaller bore size will keep the block strong and rigid.

Are you planning on building your own stand alone wiring harness for the GM engine or do the harnesses they build for the LS variants also work for the LM4 and L33 ?

Are you planning on building your own stand alone wiring harness for the GM engine or do the harnesses they build for the LS variants also work for the LM4 and L33 ?

As this is a crate motor, I will need to get all the accessories, alternator, brackets, a/c, etc, so plan to find one at junkyard and take all the stuff off. I can pull the harness at that time; or purchase a harness. The LM4 is the same as the LM7 iron block; however, I will need to get a different oil pan.

Why not keep the car diesel? It's a solid candidate for a Cummins R2.8, pricey I guess.

How's the 75 coming along??

I must say, I'm super impressed by (jealous of?) your collection. Congrats!

Honestly, I love diesels for towing rigs or for fixed top rigs. For cars that I want to take the top off and windshield down, I like it a little quiter, or the nice rumble of a V8.

The 75 engine build is starting..... need to order some tranny parts...

Ordered the crate LM4..... this is happening.

Back to the discussion on the adapters. I called advanced and the correct unit for this would be the
#713027-EK

1574795313562.png

And then the second question is how can I add the Ranger splitter that @SNLC mentioned. To do that, I need the unit, that runs about $1,700,
1574795576218.png
plus a bellhousing adapter, 712577 $500, plus clutch, flywheel and parts. So in the end, maybe $500 more than the marks adapter option above - and I will make my own motor mounts anyway.... My point is not that much more to do the ranger box.... so I am looking for positives and negatives.

1574795545589.png

So, can anyone help me with this decision? Anyone have that Ranger splitter?

I plan to put larger tires on this, recall that I have 4.56 gears on it already. I hope to be able to drive this on the highways and be able to overland with it also.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I ran the Ranger in an FJ60 behind a ramjet v8 and in front of the h42 4spd.

I absolutely loved it in that truck for on and off road. Split any gear, hard to not like that. I don’t think I ever found a time I didn’t like it and I did all kinds of wheeling in that truck from high speed dunes to snow wheeling to slow crawling. I also lived at 6500ft at the time and regularly went up to 10,000.

It is a little noisy but that didn’t bother me.

Cheers

Been thinking about Needing to get a spreadsheet started to figure out RPMs to speed on the roads with LS, however grabbed @kc_chevota and headed to the junkyard’s yesterday on a beautiful Kansas City day. Almost 60° yesterday, and seeing snowflakes outside today.
Anyway, our goal was to strip some LS parts off of target trucks. We were able to find intake manifold brackets and alternator and power steering pump. Also got a full engine harness and computer. We also picked up two Volvo engine fans with relays. All of that for 75 bucks!!!!

The live thing I did not like was the air conditioner compressor was mounted just to the side of the crank pulley, sitting next to the frame. I don’t think there’s enough room between the frame to do that on the 73 series. Time to do some research.

7A5D5C96-99CA-4E30-99CE-03B3576FE0F9.jpeg

82FAA7DD-90CA-49BB-858C-AAF2FD3AC95E.jpeg

C88F3401-3DF9-4A2F-9B4C-B3DEAFD1D1FC.jpeg

You bought a new LM4 long block? Where'd you find that?

You bought a new LM4 long block? Where'd you find that?

We have a local warehouse that sells crate and rebuilt motors. Think I found the last one. Not long block, Crate motor, with intake, coils, etc. I got the truck intake at the junkyard to get more torque.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom