U-POL Tintable Raptor Lining Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@half k cruiser in your pics it looks like you shot the door handles as well? If so did you do anything special from a masking standpoint other than the key hole? Im assuming the liner goes on thin enough that you don't have to work about the gaps binding up where the handle won't operate. Thanks

I didn't shoot the door handles. I taped them off very carefully. When all was said and done I used some meguiars ultimate compound to clean the paint on them and gave them a quick wax. If you want to spray your handles I would wait and do them the next day after the rest of the liner had cured. You would want to tape off the seal around the outside, the keyhole, and I would probably fold some tape and stick it in the seems so you don't weld the handles shut. Honestly though, if your handles aren't to beat up, and you are color matching, I would just leave them alone.

Sprayed my tub. I did Raptor inside tub, and lizard skin ceramic underneath tub. I really like the ease of application of the Raptor.
20170521_040226.jpg

Nice. I'm restoring a '78 now and am thinking of this for the inside and undercarriage.

Raptor liner is not a rubberized beadliner like line-x and others. I would not expect it to offgas much, if at all, after curing.

Why You Shouldn’t Use Bed Liner Inside Your Truck | Interior Coatings
I have bought the raptor for the inside also but I am worried after Reading this artikel. What do you Guy’s think? Health hazzard?

Not if you observe proper personal protective measures during use. The solvent in the coating (while wet) is more dangerous in the way of fire hazard than the isocyanates as long as you wear a mask. There is virtually no risk after the fact when the coating has cured. See this article
http://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.com.au/technotespdf/2.1 Isocyanates.pdf

By the way, that article you posted is filled with inaccuracies

Not if you observe proper personal protective measures during use. The solvent in the coating (while wet) is more dangerous in the way of fire hazard than the isocyanates as long as you wear a mask. There is virtually no risk after the fact when the coating has cured. See this article
http://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.com.au/technotespdf/2.1 Isocyanates.pdf

By the way, that article you posted is filled with inaccuracies

X2. Complete garbage article.

Iso’s are very dangerous to your health and are present in almost all urethane and polyurethane paints/coatings, not just polyurethane bedliners. Most modern automotive pairs are some type of urethane, which, according to the author’s logic, should never be used inside of a vehicle. Looks like we’re all going back to laquer.

There are no free iso’s available to enter the atmosphere after the paint has fully cured.

That article reeks of paid advertising by the makers of Lizard Skin.

Really happy with the way my liner came out. Toyota 045 tint with no binders, mixed at O'Reilly's. Sprayed through Upol gun at 70psi and 50' of 3/8'' line with a coil whip on the end. No idea what actual pressure at the gun was, I figured at least 60psi after line loss :meh:View attachment 1344669 View attachment 1344670

Thinking about this for my HDJ81...can you post any pics or comments now that it's been a couple years? Thank you!

Thinking about this for my HDJ81...can you post any pics or comments now that it's been a couple years? Thank you!

It's still stuck on there. I did have a chip come off of the gas tank lid and one of the rear hatch when I lifted it up and smacked it into my garage door. There are two very small spots on the inside of the rear fender well where it is yellowing. I think I must have had some contaminate behind those areas that didn't get washed out. Otherwise it looks really good and I'm still happy with the outcome.

How close is the color to free born red? without actually having to have it tinted?

You can tint it with freeborn red tint and it’ll be almost exact. It’s really no harder than not tinting. You just pour in a few ounces of the tint and shake. I’m building a freeborn red truck now and the raptor liner tinted beautifully.

Really happy with the way my liner came out. Toyota 045 tint with no binders, mixed at O'Reilly's. Sprayed through Upol gun at 70psi and 50' of 3/8'' line with a coil whip on the end. No idea what actual pressure at the gun was, I figured at least 60psi after line loss :meh:View attachment 1344669View attachment 1344670
Looks nice and exactly what I'm looking to do to my '95. Where did you find the Toyota 045 tint for the Upol Raptor coating?

Thanks - I checked there and they looked at me like I was from another galaxy... Also checked with the local Sherwin-Williams auto paint supplier who said they could mix up some 045 for, but needed to know what binders, driers, etc to add, if any. I found a 4L Raptor kit in Toyota 040 Super White on eBay from CTI in Las Vegas. On talking with them and given how bleached out my existing paint is (with clear coat having peeled off long ago) I took the easy way out and just got the kit from them. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom