TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it is, I want two

Need a recommendation for someplace near Charlotte (by near, I mean closer to me than Raleigh) to blast and paint my OEM 40 wheels. I really don't want to do it in this heat, and I waited too late to get it done before it got warm. -ish.

I use a guy in Spartanburg to blast and PC wheels. He sprays paint as well. Call me if interested Fred

Last edited:
Been waiting for weeks for rubber (cushion) to insulate my 40 tank.
1655403870345.png

I ran out of patience with the internet order I placed (three weeks ago), so I did what I should have done to being with, I called Catawba Industrial Rubber (who used to be Charlotte Rubber & Gasket).
1655403743314.png

3' x 2" x 1/8" Buna-N sheet for the bottom and top of my tank. Just like uncle Toyota did it. @ $3.10

They also have
1655404010400.png

and
1655404039105.png

I used to buy form them a lot back when I was in the design business. Great people.

Need a recommendation for someplace near Charlotte (by near, I mean closer to me than Raleigh) to blast and paint my OEM 40 wheels. I really don't want to do it in this heat, and I waited too late to get it done before it got warm. -ish.
You might call Blast-it-all in Salisbury. They may put you in touch with someone who
Has purchased a unit local.
Long’s monument in Charlotte may do side blasting.
??

AWRS Wheel Repair

330 E. Hebron St
Charlotte, NC

They powder coated a set of wheels for me a few years back. Good work and timely. Ask for Chris or Luke

My AC on the LX470 wasn't working so had Scott Clark Toyota evac, recharge and leak check. No leaks though????

Blowing cold now but it was not distributing as much air as I remembered. I noticed that my foot blowers weren't working.

Carpets were in the way of the outlets.

After tucking them back under it still wasn't coming out of the foot vents. So much for the easy win.

AC diagnostics didn't show any problems either. I Ohm'd out the 3 temp sensors. All in speck. Driver front temp sensor was dirty. Cleaned it up.

It turns out the foot ac/heat damper was spring loaded closed due to the servo actuator rod being disconnected. So I hooked it back up.
F89D34F9-C389-4903-BA44-294372DEA779.jpeg
DAD6971A-2359-41F5-AF8A-EF5A533DAE56.jpeg

I also vacuumed out blower box, replaced filters and cleaned out the squirrel cage.

It's nice to have cold ac again!

E8307157-8D03-44FC-B587-28EEE8335EB5.jpeg

Last edited:
Henry is having the same problem with his LX470; I hope it;s the same solution.

I am personally a little let down. When I went in 2019 there were wig wearing dudes gravel surfing dodge ram hoods while one guy was balancing a newly welded driveshaft by spinning it on the deck of his welding trailer. Me, I was sleeping off a really righteous drunk under a table at 10am. All kidding aside, I desperately wish I was there.

These guys are in Monroe and do fantastic work. Maybe too fantastic for an old LC? Check with them on pricing. If the price is within your budget, I feel sure you'll be happy with the actual work.

These guys are in Monroe and do fantastic work. Maybe too fantastic for an old LC? Check with them on pricing. If the price is within your budget, I feel sure you'll be happy with the actual work.
They were on my short list.

AWRS Wheel Repair

330 E. Hebron St
Charlotte, NC

They powder coated a set of wheels for me a few years back. Good work and timely. Ask for Chris or Luke
UPDATE:
AWRS is now located at 1820 Westinghouse Blvd, or so their website says. They are actually at 1814 Westinghouse Blvd (I couldn't find 1820):
1655752740804.png

They are immediately south of Duff-Norton, last loading dock on the south side of the bldg; "Office" is on the north corner.

They are offering sandblasting and powdercoating only; and the powdercoating is on hold until the oven starts working (they just moved in). Nevertheless, Luke says is should be running soon. Like sometime last week.

I asked him to quote blasting and painting my 40 wheels. He said he only offered powdercoating but did offer to prep them for $150. He has them now. Of course.

Kudos to Jeff at CarsMetrics for painting the wheels; there's still an unfaded area on the back of one which is going to be matched. Oh, and Luke offered to remove and dispose of the "tires" i had on the rims, and deliver my wheels to Jeff when he was finished with them. That's a three beer solution, if I ever heard one.

Now it's on to painting the tub...

Just went outside to start stripping my lx450 to begin prep for paint.
Instead of doing that no I have to figure out why the rear lights are on. The truck is off and the lights are off.
Pretty weird but I’m hoping it is an easy fix. Maybe a loose wire or something.

Brake lights, check switch at brake pedal ?

Yeah. I it’s the switch above the brake pedal.
Ordering one right now.
Thanks Stan

I've been struggling with holding small parts, especially bolts, while I bead blast them. My hemostats work OK for thin flat parts, but even the light spring pressure they have is too much for bolt threads, and useless for anything larger than 1/4". So, off to the wonderful world of internet searching I went, and look, I'm not the only one with these problems:

1656082432477.png

Now I know what to do with all those spring clamps that aren't being used at the moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom