TRD Supercharger smaller pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
I recently went and change pulley on my TRD SC from 3.xx" to 2.xx" - now I am chasing P0330 check engine code. I use 91 octane fuel . Any of you did anything like this? Do I need an inter cooler?

Hi all
I recently went and change pulley on my TRD SC from 3.xx" to 2.xx" - now I am chasing P0330 check engine code. I use 91 octane fuel . Any of you did anything like this? Do I need an inter cooler?
That code is for a knock so I would guess the engine doesn't like that small pulley. I haven't dropped to that size yet (3" now), but I am intercooler and methanol injection. The Snow Performance MAF kit is reasonably priced and should solve your issues without messing with an intercooler but you have to be super careful for when you run out of Methanol.
Or read the ongoing turbo thread as an intercooler kit will be coming along shortly I think.

I have all the dimensions for the TRD SC done. I just have not sent them to the fabricator yet. Once I get the quote back from them, I also have all the other hard parts chosen it will just be a matter of having it fitted and tested and then having the "partner" I am working with decide his margin and put it up as an offering.

Just a heads up these are all very high quality pieces, like one of the best Intercooler cores made, custom fabricated end tanks, large heat exchanger, SPAL fans, and OEM quality intercooler pump. The price will likely be $1200 or so depending on the what the fabricator comes back with.

See? There it is. A great price for what you would be getting too.

I have all the dimensions for the TRD SC done. I just have not sent them to the fabricator yet. Once I get the quote back from them, I also have all the other hard parts chosen it will just be a matter of having it fitted and tested and then having the "partner" I am working with decide his margin and put it up as an offering.

Just a heads up these are all very high quality pieces, like one of the best Intercooler cores made, custom fabricated end tanks, large heat exchanger, SPAL fans, and OEM quality intercooler pump. The price will likely be $1200 or so depending on the what the fabricator comes back with.
What?! When did you do this? Leading us on with your turbo ideas...

will that help ?

Hi all
real quick where did you find TRD oulleys? I want grab a new one for my SC

Yes, I you have to think about the reason you're getting detonation. I can think of two very likely reasons.

First you are pushing the M90 much harder than it was intended with that small pulley so it's way out of its efficiency zone and is blowing a lot of hot air. This increased IAT is going to be very succeptable to detonation.

Second if you do not have an AFR gauge you have no idea how lean that extra air might be making you. If it is in deed a lean condition you will need to find a way to add additional fuel, either 7th injector, methanol injection, etc.

So those are the two things I would look at. And I would put the old pulley back on until you have a chance to get an AFR gauge installed and an intercooler put in.

will that help ?

Nope not leading at all. The original plan if you read the turbo thread was to have a single intercooler setup that could work with both the TRD SC and the turbo setup. It turns out it won't work because the TB is moved in the TRD SC setup, but the only difference will be the intercooler shape. So since we had a SC truck already measuring for the intercooler shape was easy. All the other components will be the same.

What?! When did you do this? Leading us on with your turbo ideas...

Yes, I you have to think about the reason you're getting detonation. I can think of two very likely reasons.

First you are pushing the M90 much harder than it was intended with that small pulley so it's way out of its efficiency zone and is blowing a lot of hot air. This increased IAT is going to be very succeptable to detonation.

Second if you do not have an AFR gauge you have no idea how lean that extra air might be making you. If it is in deed a lean condition you will need to find a way to add additional fuel, either 7th injector, methanol injection, etc.

So those are the two things I would look at. And I would put the old pulley back on until you have a chance to get an AFR gauge installed and an intercooler put in.
I know why I am getting detonation - air to fuel ration is lean on low RPM , but I can probably fix it by retarding distributor to 5* from my current 14*

I dont thonk so. Our trucks pull timing if the air flow exceeds what a NA engine should be able to draw.

With a truck that is FI it happens early on and with the small pulley it real early on.

So all that timing you dialed in works fine during the time the ECU is pulling timing but not when its not.

I doubt you are running lean during low rpns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom