Transfer Case Inner Shift Boot Alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginmtb

'74 FJ40 - my first!
Threads
Well I think I found a boot that should work with very little modification. This is it:

http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/f...3-or-4-speed-mt-floor-shift-3020-508-641.aspx

I measured dimensions of my existing boot. The part the curves downward is 5" long. The distance perpendicular to that is 5-1/4".

I contacted the manufacturer and he gave me measurements on the above boot: 5-1/4" in one direction, 5-3/8" in the other. So will need to trim 1/8" off each side of the 5-1/4" side to get it down to 5" and then only 1/16" from each side of the 5-3/8" length to get it to 5-1/4". And then round the edges to match the radius of the cover boot. You will have to cut three new holes to match the existing design. You can fill the old holes up with sealant if you want.

The pyramid shape in the center measures 3-1/2" square and 1-1/2" tall. I'm thinking this could be mounted with the pyramid facing down and then you could pull a few of the "steps" upwards and then zip tie it to secure it from sliding down. I don't know how pliable it is but seems like shift boots are pretty flexible. And depending on the hole size it may just work fine facing downwards. The hole may be small enough to create a seal. That would be pretty slick.

At under $12 seems like it would be a nice alternative and since this is an unseen part, even the purists might be okay with it... Well probably not but for the rest of us likely perfectly fine.

I have not tried this so I can't guarantee anything. But the dimensions seem pretty good. I may have to buy one to test. I'm repairing my old one but by doing a test I could maybe actually contribute something to this forum... o_O
shift_boot.png

I found this thread too which has a similar solution. Seems like this boot just might fit a teeny bit better.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/transfer-case-inner-shift-boot.764732/

If you try it before I do, please post your results here. Thanks!

What I have done for shift boots, is go to Harbor Freight and buy a $10 leather welders apron. Use what's left of your old boot for a pattern and cut it out of the apron. Each apron makes four to five boots. Sew it up on the family sewing machine, install, and tie up the top with a piece of leather boot lacing.
Cheap and wears well.

Jerry D.

With my main gearbox I have an inner boot and an outer boot on my shift lever. Both are rubber. The outer one stops dust getting in the cab and the inner one stops dust (and grit etc) getting inside my gearbox via the shifter hole in the top-plate.

The inner one here does tend to fail much faster than the outer one and needs to be replaced whenever it disintegrates to maintain smooth shifting.

But with my transfer lever I see only a single boot there to stop dust getting in the cab and it is made of vinyl material that's sewn into a pyramid shape.

So where does one find this transfer case inner shift boot?

I see no need for another boot immediately beneath the vinyl one and indeed I have no such boot there...
TransferShiftLever2.jpg

TransferShiftLever3.jpg

TransferShiftLever1.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:

You're missing the boot. You should see this piece when you lift up the outer boot.....

Low and behold!

Well I never!!!!!

Whoopie!
TransferShiftLever4.jpg

I've owned this BJ40 for more than 30 years and have removed that outer boot during that time but never before have I looked underneath to see this hidden boot!!!.

Talk about overkill by Toyota. I'd never have thought a second boot was necessary on this lever..

Thanks Racer...

Any chance someone knows the PN to that inner boot? Mine has seen better days. Outer looks great, just the rubber part.

The correct boot for '73 through '78 (I think those years are correct) is 58281-90352, but discontinued. Search for a used one here on MUD.

Any chance someone knows the PN to that inner boot? Mine has seen better days. Outer looks great, just the rubber part.

“Maybe”,, the inner boot also suppresses that shifter rattle that someone here was having issues with. :)

Is this the correct direction for installation then?

Thank you, ginmtb. Just ordered the boot. We must be neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom