Transfer case damage - what breaks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bambusiero

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I'm curious about what breaks or gets damaged when a transfer case takes a rock hit?
I don't find any good war stories about that.

Is it surface abrasion / scratching / gouging?

Actual case cracks and / or holes punched?

Can the weight of the vehicle tear loose the transmission mount?

People put on such massively strong belly armor - examples to justify?

You want to protect your drivetrain because it’s your means of propulsion. It was primarily designed to put power to the ground regardless of how strong it is.

A skid plate is designed primarily to take the full weight of the rig hits on rocks. The transfer case is not.

This is why we protect the t case. It’s right at the break over angle for our rigs and big hits can and have fractured cases.

Can the weight of the vehicle tear loose the transmission mount? - Yes I have done this, not planned, but it can happened.

Anyone with pictures of transfer case carnage?

You want to protect your drivetrain because it’s your means of propulsion. It was primarily designed to put power to the ground regardless of how strong it is.

A skid plate is designed primarily to take the full weight of the rig hits on rocks. The transfer case is not.

This is why we protect the t case. It’s right at the break over angle for our rigs and big hits can and have fractured cases.

Well... sure. The thought process / motivation to do it is pretty obvious.
But, I'm asking folks for their real world experiences with this.
I should also ask for - the type of wheeling that they were engaged in at the time. That makes a big difference.
May I tentatively put @SmokingRocks in the Type 3 Wheeler category? (see below) >>> "Buy it, bash it... Repeat" <<< :skull:

Can the weight of the vehicle tear loose the transmission mount? - Yes I have done this, not planned, but it can happened.

How much other damage?
No belly armor? Or some?
How hard were you going after it at the time?
Do you think age and hardening of the rubber the mount might have contributed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To put your (bad) experience in context, could you self identify as one of the following:

Type 1 Wheeler
- Conservative Adventurer - Just trying to get someplace remote, while getting past whatever obstacles may occur. Trying NOT to break anything. Armor is mainly insurance for that.

Type 2 Wheeler
- Hardcore Adventurer / Equipment Enthusiast - Regularly travels the tough trails with others. Willing to challenge the armor, and then upgrades if it falls short. Occasional damage and trail repairs expected, but not on purpose.

Type 3 Wheeler
- Mad Max on Wheels - Pedal to the metal, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!", testosterone infused adrenaline junky. If somethin' didn't break today yer slackin' off. If those other wimps won't try it, I will.

I am not a type 3 wheeler, I just choose to protect my investments.

Skid plates are investment protection devices.

It just sounds like you seem to think our transfer cases can hold up to a 6000lb vehicle crashing down on them... well then I challenge you to remove your stock skid and put it to the test.

I’m giving you real world experience and you are just shuttling my input into a box which you don’t care to open because it doesn’t support your base theory that protection isn’t needed. Sounds like CNN or FOX.

Skid plates have a purpose that’s why samurai’s to cat d10’s have them. What are you intending to uncover? A transfer case skid plate conspiracy?

Last edited:
Please...don't project any imagined thinking on me.
I don't think anything. I lack practical information. That's why I'm asking.
Certainly not looking for an argument, although - some back and forth for clarification is fine.

Actually, maybe I am thinking (now that I think about it ;) ) - just what everyone has always told me to think about this.
"You gotta have 50 pounds of 1/4" thick plate steel down there, or you can't go off road."
Edit: OK, I exaggerated. Checked it. My Slee skid plate is only 25 pounds of 1/4" thick plate steel.
So, I'm laying under the truck designing, measuring... became aware of that narrow view, and started thinking, asking. Isn't that OK?

Hmmm. Other boxed in "group think" patterns - you can't go offroad without:
- Highlift jack.
- Winch.
- Heavy front bumper.
- Heavy rear bumper.
- Heavy frame mounted rock sliders.
Didn't @LandCruiserPhil show that there's a reasonable solution somewhat less than that? Had to throw off the chains of bounded thinking for that.

By pointing those things out, I am not arguing against them. They all have their place, maybe with me.

So yeah, there really is a transfer case skid conspiracy, since you put it that way, and I'm in on it. But don't know exactly for sure why. Dare I ask?

Last edited:
Anyway, @SmokingRocks, actually, you didn't offer a real world experience.
You gave me a brief "theory of armor" plus a bit of "don't you dare question it". Already squared away there.
Also, I don't have a base theory that protection isn't needed. Never said so. Don't think so.
What I'm looking for here is a personally witnessed example to learn from.
No problem if there isn't one.

Last edited:
We have soft rocks in Az, skid plates are not required.

That's what she said.

How much other damage? - None that day, just the rubber part of the mount on Tcase, separated/tore, rear Driveshaft had marks that looked like I could put it in front of an old barber shop and paint it black/white. Next time out - the problem was I didn't know it was tore and my forward front skid plate that I made to protect the tranny pan has a notch in it for the front drive shaft. Well that time out I did a 4 on your scale and jumped the front of the truck by about 2 feet off the ground, when it landed, somehow the Dshaft caught the armor and snapped the ujoint off at the tcase and took out a birf on the driver side.

No belly armor? Or some? - None at the time, just the stock crossmember - I now upgraded it to flat crossmember, then flat plate back to rear end of Tcase and another plate front to protect the tranny pan. (I'll try and find a pic, its like most of the aftermarket ones you see for sale on here)

How hard were you going after it at the time? I'm usually a 2.5 on your type scale. At the time I was going fairly slow and hung it up in some rocks basically with all 80% of the weight of the rig on the Tcase (rear tires off the ground and 1 front tire on ground, had to be winched off (its entirely possible that it tore from winching and binding).

Do you think age and hardening of the rubber the mount might have contributed? Nope, mount was only 3 months old from Rock auto (granted it was one of the less expensive ones of the choices and wasn't "factory toyota") - My new solution that I haven't tried yet is a mount from a 100 series as it has the bolt through the center vs no bolt through the center of the rubber on the 80 series. If I remember right the mini truck & 4 runners had a bolt in the middle as well and in the 20+ years of wheeling them, I never had an issue - Not sure why the 80 series doesn't have it so I am going with what should work. rubber might deteriorate/tear, but at least the tcase should still be connected to the cross member via the big main center bolt.

Anyway, @SmokingRocks, actually, you didn't offer a real world experience.
You gave me a brief "theory of armor" plus a bit of "don't you dare question it". Already squared away there.
Also, I don't have a base theory that protection isn't needed. Never said so. Don't think so.
What I'm looking for here is a personally witnessed example to learn from.
No problem if there isn't one.

@Bambusiero Your arrogance has earned you a place on my "ignored member list". You're only the second member to get this award from me so congrats. Good luck with your t case.

Last edited:
This is basically all that needs to be said.
Unless you're a person who likes to form their own opinion about things. Asking for stories about carnage seems reasonable.

To the OP- I beat my junk fairly hard, with no belly armor, and have not broken anything in that neighborhood other than the speedo sensor. The stock 'skid plate' is beat to hell.

Unless you're a person who likes to form their own opinion about things. Asking for stories about carnage seems reasonable.

To the OP- I beat my junk fairly hard, with no belly armor, and have not broken anything other than the speedo sensor. The stock 'skid plate' is beat to hell.

Aluminum being softer than rocks isn't an opinion.

FFS, some people on this site will argue and bit*h about anything.

This is exactly how the anti-vaxers justify their movement. No faith is put in the findings that pushed people to develop things to prevent issues instead they think they’ve uncovered a conspiracy.

Bottom line. If you wheel hard enough to potentially damage your t case protect it. If you are running to the Walmart for a loaf of bread and nothing more then leave it exposed.

@Bambusiero Your arrogance has earned you a place on my "ignored member list". You're only the second member to get this award from me so congrats. Good luck with your t case.
Well, seems like you know arrogance firsthand. You should probably reserve me a spot on that list.

Your follow-up comment did make me realize my rig has spent more time in a Walmart parking lot lately than I'd like to admit. I guess I won't worry about my fragile underbelly.

This is exactly how the anti-vaxers justify their movement. No faith is put in the findings that pushed people to develop things to prevent issues instead they think they’ve uncovered a conspiracy.

Bottom line. If you wheel hard enough to potentially damage your t case protect it. If you are running to the Walmart for a loaf of bread and nothing more then leave it exposed.

This happened in a Walmart parking lot.
C773BA5D-0B6F-472D-A481-4D3760AACF5D.jpeg
44A413ED-5A8E-416A-AC3F-98DFD68FCBD1.jpeg

Can you see my message? Just wondering :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom