Trail Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or borrow this one instead. :)

IMG_2964.JPG

ha! far too poor for that nonsense!

Mad Max approves of my engine rebuild budget :skull:

I think the scat 383 package is about 500 bucks. Doesn't include a cam or intake. I just picked up a older crate sbc from a friend an I think I'm going to stroke it.

I always wanted to build a 383. Here's a few more books on the subject. Yeah, I like to read.

IMG_2965.JPG

Well, made some progress during my short hiatus from work with our new baby.

Front suspension is done, shackle reverse SUA with some off-brand 4" lift Toyota pickup rear springs. square u-bolts for rock clearance.

IMGP0915.JPG
IMGP0923.JPG

Also mounted the engine, I went with the Trans-Dapt mounts. I need to make some UHMW pucks to space them just a tad higher. I worry about the low lift causing interference with the driveshaft and engine oil pan and trans pan

IMGP0911.JPG
IMGP0924.JPG
IMGP0925.JPG

Hooked up an unknown year Quadrajet and some generic Mr. Gasket throttle cable and brackets
IMGP0912.JPG
IMGP0913.JPG
IMGP0917.JPG

Ignore the zip-tied kickdown cable linkage. :/

Also scored a used B&M Unimatic, I couldn't live with the T-handle and had to throw it away in favor of a regular ball knob from my parts bin.

Finally, scored the set of Humvee 37" BFG Baja T/A's (well used unfortunately, but they were cheap). Going to mount them on a set of ancient 16.5" slot mags (for now). I am already thinking on ditching the JT GM front disc brake kit in favor of Mini-truck hardware to get the bigger spindle and wheel bearings.

I trimmed the front fenders accordingly :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

IMGP0909.JPG
IMGP0910.JPG
IMGP0919.JPG
IMGP0921.JPG

I would recommend replacing the Trans-dapt rubber bushing entirely. If they haven't changed in the last 15 years or so, it is pure garbage and will collapse in a hurry :(

I used a set for my old FJ40 with 5.0L TBI to "save" money over the Advanced Adapter ones. Within a year, I spent my "saved" $50 buying Advanced Adapter bushings:oops::censor:

I may end up replacing them with Poly. I had a set of Energy Suspension transfer case mount bushings for a ford bronco or something once, they looked almost identical to the AA rubbers. I might try to find some more of those. It depends what end up doing for a t-case/doubler cross member

Good progress, but how did you get any work done with a new baby and congratulations! I'm going to say a Tote Gote is the cool looking mini bike thing.

Good progress, but how did you get any work done with a new baby and congratulations! I'm going to say a Tote Gote is the cool looking mini bike thing.

Thanks, it's easy to get a bit of time in during the kids' naptimes and evenings. Just have to plan for times when I need to use loud tools.

And yeah, the tote gote is the mini bike by my lathe. They are slow, loud, and will climb anything. like a pig.

Got one task accomplished this weekend. Plumbed the heater. Thanks @JackA for the valve tech tip in his FJ45LV thread.

IMGP0939.JPG
IMGP0927.JPG
IMGP0928.JPG
IMGP0929.JPG

Been researching the enormous wiring job I'll have to do, since I removed all factory and PO wiring. When the pig was last running, it was a hazardous combo of worn factory wiring/drunken PO butchery on the factory fuse panel, and what I could rewire and isolate on a separate panel.....it sucked.

Aside from paying $$$ for a complete Summit or Painless kit, I found some good diagrams on the web. I'll be using a 12si GM alternator, HEI, a stand-alone headlight harness with relays (not sure the brand I have) and a Union Pacific universal turn signal switch.

Been thinking about this fuse block portion first, is it a good idea to wire the alternator BATT terminal thru a fuse block instead of right to the battery? Thoughts? Like this Painless block? Would the wire be heavy enough for a 100amp alt?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-30001/overview/

prf-30001_it_xl.jpg

I would also have to disable the flashers to use the Union Pacific turn signal switch I already have:
NewTurnSigWiring_zps3d88d7f5.jpg

Or I found some good generic hot rod diagrams:

600x694xunderdash.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hsCNPCgLat.jpg

Which I could build using a cheapo 12 circuit panel and jumper wires:

41UkAq6np1L._SX425_.jpg

Right now I'm leaning toward:
-wiring the alternator to the battery directly, with a circuit breaker
-using the last diagram with the 12 circuit panel
-Engine/starter/headlights/turn signals/whatever's left as it fits with what I have

I'm not hip enough for the big Ultra4 switch panel look either. :hillbilly:

Winch wired directly to battery, any aux. lights, CB, compressor, misc offroading stuff on it's own small panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom