Toyotasaurus - '79 FJ45 Troopy Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pic of the stanchions since they were welded. capped the 50mm. also repaired one rust spot above the rear left wheel. will continue repairing those spots, and recreating the panels for the rear corners

cut some rear quarters out of the JD cruiser today, and welded them in. managed to cut them so where the wheel arch was in them, is around the centre of it, thus providing some extra strength to the panel. once it's ready, they will be minimally bogged etc. to get them level.

very nice work! I'm about to start similar repairs on my rear panels, I think I will steal the 2"x3" tube idea for the sill replacement.

very nice work! I'm about to start similar repairs on my rear panels, I think I will steal the 2"x3" tube idea for the sill replacement.

yeah mate it's strong as all hell, so it should work really well. I have to find some rubber cabs or something to cover the bolt holes. We used to grab the sides of the truck and shake it, and show how flimsy it is: now that it is all welded up, you can shake any side and it rattles the whole car. Great Success!

definitely worth doing

Minor Update. Almost finished the rear sill area. Replaced the rusted out compartment on the driver's side, with matching steel. Should be almost completely finished with the rear section after tomorrow

I gotta give it to you Scrumpy, you are a determined man! I would have given up when I saw all that rust, but you are doing a great job...keep it up! I look forward to seeing what it turns into.

-Daniel

I gotta give it to you Scrumpy, you are a determined man! I would have given up when I saw all that rust, but you are doing a great job...keep it up! I look forward to seeing what it turns into.

-Daniel

Haha thanks mate. i think :D . well with work slowing to nearly a complete halt for me, I'm doing this pretty much full time, so I'm just trying to achieve something each day. I must admit when i revealed all that rust it was a bit disheartening, but I know it's just going to be a slow and steady process to get it finished. Im hoping to have it nearly finished for our summer (Dec - Feb)

also found rust in the bottom right corner of the windscreen surround, but luckily the Spare JD cruiser one is still in good condition! but now i have to put the wiper motor and arms back into it :censor: :bang:

Finished the Rear Sill and the Wheel arch areas! MIlestone 1 reached! haha. just got to finish the tops of the body where they meet the stanchions, as they are a bit rusty and then it's time to move up to the floor and door areas :D

Fixed the corners near the stanchions, as they were rusty. managed to re use some old corners/rails from the JD cruiser panels. and also managed to fill in/weld all the pop rivet holes in the wheel arches that the PO made :mad:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4055/cornersfixed.jpg

Managed to take off the windscreen and guards. The windscreen has a rust hole on the right hand corner, where the it bolts back to the firewall, and also the nuts had broken off the inside of the chassis rail on the drivers side where the top 2 of 4 bolts are, that hold the guard on. such a pain in the ass to poke a spanner in there to undo. will weld some back on later on :/

So i've repaired the passenger guard, just have to beat out some dints, and make it look almost level and straight. will fix the drivers side tomorrow, and coat them both in some epoxy primer. hopefully it comes out half decent :D

just a pic of everything off. more progress soon.

Finished the rust repair below the Driver's side door sill! :D the folds were hand beaten around, and is hopefully on the same angle as the guards, if not a couple of degree off. I matched the angle measurement on the passenger side, so here's hoping. did a bit on the passenger side too, but pics aren't really needed. still have to join underneath to the underside of the floor etc.

Have also taken the guards back to bare steel, cleaned, repaired, panel beaten and coated them with 2 coats of Epoxy Primer. Turned out really well

Next up bits around the floor/bed, underside cracks and rust in body supports etc., then onto the floor pans and windscreen mounts/cowl :D

nice. there is just something very satisfying about seeing those cancer holes cut out and patched up. cant wait to see it all rust free!

Looking good. Great metal work there.

Nice work there Scrumpy. Your really getting into it! :clap::beer:

Thanks fellas!

nice. there is just something very satisfying about seeing those cancer holes cut out and patched up. cant wait to see it all rust free!

Yeah haha and it's satisfying knowing that a lot of people would have walked away form this truck and scrapped it. and I'm giving it a second chance at life!

Finished the Drivers side floor pan today (after roughly 2 days work). Made that corner piece from the floor of an early cruiser (where the fuel tank is in the cab) and flipped it upside down to fit that mounded shape. So it misses a fuel line, and leaves enough room to get to the transfer arms etc. Pretty stoked with how it turned out, and definitely todays beers :D So now it's only a few little rust spots to go then it's time for primer, then fixing anything engine wise, and drivetrain wise

Before:

Now:

Awesome...down hill now!

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom