89 HJ61 12HT auto. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've always had petrol 4wd in the past, 2 x 80 series, Holden SWB Jackaroo, Mitsubishi Pajero, Nissan GU Patrol and a Toyota Bundera. As much as I'm a big fan of the 80 series, I can't justify the price turbo diesels 80s are selling for.

Enter HJ61

I'll tell you now, I'm very happy with it. This is the only car I've ever owned that my wife is actually excited to use. It needs a few things done to it - steering is a bit clunky, the suspension is tired and the auto is not shifting as nice as I'd like it to be. All of which *should* be relatively easy fixes.

It came with the Roo systems roof rack, Warn winch, dual battery system and long range tank which I need to install. I'll post a pic of the fuel tank later to see if you guys can recognise it and give me hints on where/how it needs to be installed.

I do a bit of prospecting and relic hunting here in North Queensland, Australia and I think this would do just nicely.

Welcome to the 60's section mate!

That's a nice looking rig and the 60 is much better looking rig than the 80 any way.

Let us know your woes as you decide to fix them and we'll all chime in with our wild theories just like in every other section in mud.

First up the auto box is an absolute power thief and clunky as hell, there's no much you can do about that part of the truck, is it the 24v jap or 12 domestic? The up side of that box is it love getting torque down when you're in the rough stuff.

Steering is a relatively simple one, start with adjusting TRE's and PS fluid levels then move to adjusting the box and see where you end up. That's probably an hours worth of work or maybe two in your heat.

Congrats on the HJ61!

As with many of my fellow 'Muricans, I am envious of the diesel Land Cruiser (...not really so envious with the automatic transmissions, though...)...we aren't allowed to play those here (it reeks of conspiracy)...

...and I must add that I find that Roo-bar intimidating. Even though I'm not a kangaroo (I can prove it...for the most part...but it might be easier if you take my word on it...), I don't think I would look forward to running into it, since I understand that's what kangaroos like to do.

I would also like to take a moment, despite the fact that I might be reaching only a small Australian audience, to extend my gratitude to Australian society in general, for giving AC/DC to the world!

We will accept that gratitude

Welcome mate nice 60 series
First thing would be tie rod ends to fix your steering ether replace or grease them

Welcome to the 60's section mate!

That's a nice looking rig and the 60 is much better looking rig than the 80 any way.

Let us know your woes as you decide to fix them and we'll all chime in with our wild theories just like in every other section in mud.

First up the auto box is an absolute power thief and clunky as hell, there's no much you can do about that part of the truck, is it the 24v jap or 12 domestic? The up side of that box is it love getting torque down when you're in the rough stuff.

Steering is a relatively simple one, start with adjusting TRE's and PS fluid levels then move to adjusting the box and see where you end up. That's probably an hours worth of work or maybe two in your heat.

I've always had automatics in my 4wds. I'm one of those annoying people that believe auto is better than manual in most off road scenarios ;)
As for the harsh shifting, I reckon a good flush (or two) will get it to where I'm happy with it.
It's a 12volt.
Me thinks the looseness is a bit more than an adjustment on the box. It 'feels' like one of the steering shaft uni's might be on its way out. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

Congrats on the HJ61!

As with many of my fellow 'Muricans, I am envious of the diesel Land Cruiser (...not really so envious with the automatic transmissions, though...)...we aren't allowed to play those here (it reeks of conspiracy)...

...and I must add that I find that Roo-bar intimidating. Even though I'm not a kangaroo (I can prove it...for the most part...but it might be easier if you take my word on it...), I don't think I would look forward to running into it, since I understand that's what kangaroos like to do.

I would also like to take a moment, despite the fact that I might be reaching only a small Australian audience, to extend my gratitude to Australian society in general, for giving AC/DC to the world!

The 12ht and its condition is definitely one of this babys perks.
The Roo bar will be gone as soon as I can find a descent steel bar. The alloy bar will just fold as soon as Skippy hops into it.

....and you're welcome. :D

Today I decided to dig in and have a good look at the body to see if it was in fact as good as it looked.

Started by gutting the interior and cleaning that out

Only rust I could see was in the Passenger side body mount

The other side was fine

Everywhere was coated with rust proofing by the previous owner (except for the above)

I started laying sound deadener down. Didn't get very far as the local Jaycar only have 5 sheets left in stock - only covered from the firewall to just behind the front seats. I'll finish it when more stock arrives.

I also found someone wrecking a HJ61 Sahara locally. I managed to secure the interior lights (the PO installed ridiculously bright LEDs), an Airtec snorkel and the front seats from the Sahara as well. I pick them up tomorrow morning :D

Nice rig bundy,congrats.
Might have to get back on this forum more often, HJ61's,prospectors and acca dacca talk,hehe. Goodtimes....

Thanks guys. The trip from Townsville to out past Charters Towers for prospecting in the petrol 4wds was just killing me.

I only have an SD2000 for prospecting and an Extera 705 for coin and relic and still only learning so the rewards aren't that lucrative. Although, it's not the monetary reasons we do this. Going bush and getting away from it all and to be surrounded by the awesomeness that is Australia is reward enough.
Good luck fellas and HH.

I sure miss Townsville for that, one piece of advice.......don't move to Sydney, it will consume your soul.

Charters across the development and the Savannah and up to the tablelands, what a country!

I sure miss Townsville for that, one piece of advice.......don't move to Sydney, it will consume your soul.

Charters across the development and the Savannah and up to the tablelands, what a country!
Haha. I did actually spend a year down that way in Nowra. The only appealing thing about living down there was Yawal and the Jervis Bay Area.

I found my way back to Townsville less than a year later.

So today I went and picked up the 'new' front seats. They need a good clean but are solid. The drivers seat has electrics!

I also bought the original roof lamp. The PO put this awful LED light in there. Waaaay too directional. It didn't spread any light at all. I'll still replace the old bulb with LED but hopefully the lens will diffuse the light properly.

Here is the Airtec snorkel that I'll be installing as soon as I find the courage to cut the guard.

If anyone can recognize the long range fuel tank and give me tips on how to mount it, that would be great.

Haha. I did actually spend a year down that way in Nowra. The only appealing thing about living down there was Yawal and the Jervis Bay Area.

I found my way back to Townsville less than a year later.

Grew up in Nowra,family has a farm there,dont see myself goin back,WA is just awsome,ruined my first cruza in yalwal creek 2pm in the morning,dont get pissed and try to drive up the creek to remote bass spots plastered,thought we'd go a cuppla hrs then fish on dawn.
Mmmm that didnt look so deep......lol

Oh,sweet rig!
Do you have the stock tre's that you can pull a pin out of, and adjust with a big flat screwdriver? If so, that helps until you get new ones.
Do you mind taking a couple photos of the front of the seat mounts, where they bolt to the floor, looks like you might have them handy. Pm me of you don't wanna brag about them here.
I only have half the setup,it seems like.
The inner mount on the front seats are wierd,compared to the pre 85 body, maybe i miss a bracket near the tranny hump.

Oh,sweet rig!
Do you have the stock tre's that you can pull a pin out of, and adjust with a big flat screwdriver? If so, that helps until you get new ones.
Do you mind taking a couple photos of the front of the seat mounts, where they bolt to the floor, looks like you might have them handy. Pm me of you don't wanna brag about them here.
I only have half the setup,it seems like.
The inner mount on the front seats are wierd,compared to the pre 85 body, maybe i miss a bracket near the tranny hump.

I haven't had a good look at the steering yet. It's on my to do list. The tie rod ends visually look ok but that's the extent of my inspection so far.

Here's the pics you requested. I suspect you are missing the inner most mount for the seats.

Aah, thank you soo much...
And you're right,that's the one I'm missing. The whole slide, i think, or is the rear end of the inner slide similar to the outer slide rear end?
Again, thank you!
I need to have a look in my scrap bin, i bought my rig in parts.

Aah, thank you soo much...
And you're right,that's the one I'm missing. The whole slide, i think, or is the rear end of the inner slide similar to the outer slide rear end?
Again, thank you!
I need to have a look in my scrap bin, i bought my rig in parts.

Three of the four mounts look the same. It's just the front, inner side that has the extra piece.

That tank basically fits under the central rear passengers feet/arse... inside the frame rail, ahead of the rear axle and beside the tailshaft obviously..... I have one in a 2h powered 60.... there should also be a couple of other brackets... I'd have to have a look to be more specific..... the PO on mine cut a hole through the left rear guard and added another fuel cap there, but it's as ugly as a hat ful of arseholes with the good ones picked out... just a round generic cap sticking well proud of the guard. If you're any good at panel work maybe a second original cap/flap etc in the left rear quarter or a dual throat thing under the existing cap.... I do believe it makes for a fairly slow fill on the LR tank though if you're coming from the factory filler position.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom