1976 FJ40 Play-thing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aussie 1976 FJ40 Play-thing

I had driven past this sad and sorry shorty sitting on the side of the road quite a few times until one day I pulled over and talked to the owner. He didn't want it and was happy to sell it to me. He even delivered it for me.

DSC_3104.jpg

DSC_3107.jpg

It is a rusty little bugger but nothing a bit of hard work wont fix.

DSC_3054.jpg

DSC_3058.jpg

DSC_3059.jpg

DSC_3060.jpg

DSC_3078.jpg

DSC_3079.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the madness, it's gonna be a a lot work but what lc isn't. Make sure to flip that bezel good luck

At that stage I decided to take off the front panels and have them blasted.

This is going to be a play toy at first. Nothing special. Get the car to run and stop and make the body solid in that order.

My intentions are to use this out at a mates property and have some fun. After the body is totally done, I will probably put a Holden V6 and auto and make it roadworthy. But that is waaay off in the distance.

So I started on the engine. First up - spray some oil down the spark plug holes. I have no idea when this was last started but it seem to turn ok by hand. When I pulled out the fuel tank, one of the filters was full of black liquid. It smelt like paint thinners so I flushed the fuel lines and put new rubber lines in. I disconnected the Fuel line from the carb and the ignition and forced the starter. Eventually fuel came out the line. Seems as though the pump is OK. Connected the carb up again and forced the starter again. No Fuel.
At this stage I figured the carby was probably block somewhere so I went and bought a rebuild kit.

DSC_3164.jpg

Lucky I did, This was inside the bowl and metering block.

DSC_3182.jpg

DSC_3183.jpg

I'm still playing with the Holley. I can't seem to get the float low enough - the fuel keeps pouring out the sight hole. I will have to take the bowl off again and see how much I cant bend the Float arm.

Anyways, I decided to give the Brake Master a bit of a clean up. The fluid reservoirs had a lot of gunk in the bottom of them. When I eventually got the pistons out I was accosted by this...

DSC_3192.jpg

After a bit of a clean and polish, I checked the rubber seals and they were still quite rubbery and had no cracks and had not been stretched. The springs were still springy as well.

DSC_3193.jpg

The Master Cylinder is currently soaking in petrol and I will leave it there at least over night and then hit it with the wire brushes before a quick coat of paint and reassembly in the next couple of days.

She.s a bit overcooked butnot bad. I.ve seen way worse

She.s a bit overcooked butnot bad. I.ve seen way worse

If you are referring to the gunk in the Holley, I don't know if that was only caused by heat. The crap in the fuel tank and the state of the filters seems to tell me something apart from fuel was put in the tank. Thinners, turps and diesel fuel is the smell I think of when i get a whiff of it.

Woot!!

I got the 40 to start today. I have not had it running as I found a couple of fuel leaks that I need to fix first. The dizzy was totally out for the timing - the octane selector was almost totally twisted out. Once the timing was set - Vroom!

:D

Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders have been rebuilt and re-installed. next I will be rebuilding the drum brakes then bleed them and the Clutch. I will have to find a new Thermostat and housing, flush the cooling system out, do the usual filters and engine, diff, gearbox oils - then have some fun!!

After a little play then I will get stuck into the rust repairs but right now I am stoked with my progress as i have never played with timing before.:)

Just for fun :rolleyes: I decided to hack into one of the front guards for some rust removal.

DSC_3218_zps99af25c7.jpg

DSC_3216_zpsdebe23f9.jpg

DSC_3213_zps3cd952c7.jpg

DSC_3205_zpsbf9d2dc4.jpg

DSC_3202_zps7c9f1b53.jpg

Bend some oversized sheet up and weld over the top of.

DSC_3223_zpsce3c4428.jpg

DSC_3220_zps84fe1d61.jpg

Cut through both layers of sheet metal for perfect fit and then weld.

DSC_3219_zps764f2f79.jpg

DSC_3222_zpsbd6986ca.jpg

DSC_3229_zps9b617325.jpg

This is the little support that goes up under the outside lip of the guard I repaired but I think I will just make a new one later.

DSC_3232_zps6a7f84f1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom