TORT: The ONSC Rant Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had so planned not to have to post in this thread for a while...wishful thinking.

Damn AC is broke and the ENTIRE system is only 6 years old. They don’t make these like they used to.

It hasn’t been cooling as it should over the past couple months. It would go days / week without any issue then just for no known reason it couldn’t keep up. My gut (based on my internet Hvac experience...we also had the capacitor replaced last year) led me to think the refrigerant was low...which means there must be a leak somewhere.

Yesterday it totally quit, no cold air nothing. Yay with today being the hottest day so far this summer. AC guy miraculously was able to come out today ($175 weekend visit charge) and sho nuff the condenser coil is shot. Which means we’ll likely just replace the entire condenser unit...will probably run a few thousand.

To pile on...I’m sitting in the airport waiting for a flight to London for work until next Saturday. Wife at home with no AC until later this week and she’s 4 months pregnant. Most I could do is stop by HD on the way to the airport and buy 2 window units hoping she/me can find someone to hook them up for her. Luckily my uncle lives just a few houses down the street and should be able to help.

I should buy a home warranty...then I can rant about the broken s*** not being covered. Lol. Wooosaaaa

I had so planned not to have to post in this thread for a while...wishful thinking.

Damn AC is broke and the ENTIRE system is only 6 years old. They don’t make these like they used to.

It hasn’t been cooling as it should over the past couple months. It would go days / week without any issue then just for no known reason it couldn’t keep up. My gut (based on my internet Hvac experience...we also had the capacitor replaced last year) led me to think the refrigerant was low...which means there must be a leak somewhere.

Yesterday it totally quit, no cold air nothing. Yay with today being the hottest day so far this summer. AC guy miraculously was able to come out today ($175 weekend visit charge) and sho nuff the condenser coil is shot. Which means we’ll likely just replace the entire condenser unit...will probably run a few thousand.

To pile on...I’m sitting in the airport waiting for a flight to London for work until next Saturday. Wife at home with no AC until later this week and she’s 4 months pregnant. Most I could do is stop by HD on the way to the airport and buy 2 window units hoping she/me can find someone to hook them up for her. Luckily my uncle lives just a few houses down the street and should be able to help.

I should buy a home warranty...then I can rant about the broken s*** not being covered. Lol. Wooosaaaa
built in obsolescence in everything today. As an appliance salesman explained, after laughing at me, hey man we need you in here every 5-6 years.

Last edited:
What is the problem. I dont know if i can help but if you have a handy person close i can talk over the phone for a couple of troubleshooting

Most manufacturers warranty the coil for 10 yrs. Send me model and serial and i can let you know.

@Roxx giving out good news!! Parts are still under warranty on my unit!!
Wasn’t the case for me last month! My compressor died 3 days before we went on vacation for 10 days. At least it was old. I left Rafael a key and came back to cold air.

More of a "thank you Lord" than a rant. What I call "the largest Pecan in Chatham County" lost a huge limb that was directly above the shed about 70 ft up. It fell in the storm. I was outside trying to put down an umbrella when it fell. It somehow missed the shed, the fence, the house and landed right in the middle of this weird door thing.

Gonna cut it on Tuesday :) You are all welcome to grab pecan wood anytime, btw - we have 4 of them - - all pretty big.

20190720_191546.jpg

20190720_192414(0).jpg

Cold house , empty refrigerator, empty bar and all trucks were offroaded and empty on gas. I am glad you didnt rant about it. 😂😂😂
Wasn’t the case for me last month! My compressor died 3 days before we went on vacation for 10 days. At least it was old. I left Rafael a key and came back to cold air.

Congrats Jon ;)

Sorry bout the A/C. Similar situation here without upset wife. 2 repairs in last 2 years and found DOA last Thursday at my pops place. 98 inside o_O Glad you got the good info. Rafi is the man and on speeddial here but need to do some more digging when i get back to town.

More of a "thank you Lord" than a rant. What I call "the largest Pecan in Chatham County" lost a huge limb that was directly above the shed about 70 ft up. It fell in the storm. I was outside trying to put down an umbrella when it fell. It somehow missed the shed, the fence, the house and landed right in the middle of this weird door thing.

Gonna cut it on Tuesday :) You are all welcome to grab pecan wood anytime, btw - we have 4 of them - - all pretty big.

View attachment 2035980

View attachment 2035981

klump.gif

@Roxx giving out good news!! Parts are still under warranty on my unit!!

Which company said you needed a whole new unit instead of looking up the warranty on your existing?

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that my unit isn't keeping up as well as it used to, but it's also hotter than it has been.

Which company said you needed a whole new unit instead of looking up the warranty on your existing?

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that my unit isn't keeping up as well as it used to, but it's also hotter than it has been.

To the HVAC tech's defense, he asked if it was under warranty as their company wasn't the original installer. My answer was :meh:. There is another guy that is supposed to reach out today to discuss prices on repair options. I honestly figured the guy I had install our system when we were redoing the house likely didn't register the warranty...got lucky!

A&E is the company we used to diagnose the issue and the tech (Mike) was good, didn't bull**** me, etc. They were recommended to me by my uncle (contractor) who uses them for his installs. We'll use them to fix as long as they are Goodman (pos) retailer/distributor.

To the HVAC tech's defense, he asked if it was under warranty as their company wasn't the original installer. My answer was :meh:. There is another guy that is supposed to reach out today to discuss prices on repair options. I honestly figured the guy I had install our system when we were redoing the house likely didn't register the warranty...got lucky!

A&E is the company we used to diagnose the issue and the tech (Mike) was good, didn't bulls*** me, etc. They were recommended to me by my uncle (contractor) who uses them for his installs. We'll use them to fix as long as they are Goodman (pos) retailer/distributor.

^^?

DC Metro at rush hour. DC traffic any time. Uber drivers in crappy cars who don't have functioning AC. Power breakfasts, power lunches, power happy hours, power dinners, etc, full of people in suits who are just like everybody else except for being better than them. Hotel rooms that cost a fortune but somehow seem to attract the humidity from everybody's showers all day long, overwhelming the AC's ability to 'condition'. Plus...are at ground level directly across a 2-lane street from Fire & Rescue. FYI, there are NO blackout curtains that can effectively stop the front-mounted spinning LED lamps on the fire trucks. Remember the "Kenny Rogers Roasters" episode of Seinfeld??? Same kinda thing.

@JohnVee walk up to the most annoying power suiter, and politely ask, "excuse me, do you work here?
There's no toilet paper in the men's room, and some guy is complaining loudly from a stall"

the reactions are priceless

All artificial, made by us hoomans and our decisions. Most college capital expenses have gone and are going for non academic facilities, the bullsheet stuff. Glad I went through at the starting point of the curve, but then the "gym" at school was an old closet with old weight equipment that smelled like old socks. Back then; Want to climb a wall?, get the faak outdoors and do it. Want a smoothie", drink some milk and do some jumping jacks quickly. But universities felt they needed to spend money on facilities to attract students, which led to higher costs, and more competition for facilities, and even higher costs. Its a spiral we are not done with. UNCC's football team workout room puts some NFL teams to shame. I know, I paid for that sumbitch when my daughter was going there. But hey, they gave us a tour, yi-fooking-peeeeeee.

I have only one kid to go, 3 more years. He is at Western Carolina, so tuition is pretty good.

View attachment 2009230

So on Saturday i'm working on the Lexus and Andrea is out back in the yard. When I go back to talk to her and start lunch we both notice some yellow jackets coming out of and into the wall above our bedroom door.

Not good.

I do some research and talk to a friend that worked for a pest control company for a bit years ago.
His advice don't spray anything into the two crevices they are using or block them off that can spook the ones in there and cause them to find other ways to come into and out of the structure. (don't want them using the inside of the house as a way to escape). I need to find the nest. Bad thing, I can't find my scope anywhere and the nest could be in the attic or another part of the house up to 30 feet away. I look up in my attic and do see any action going on so I think they are in the wall very close to where they are coming in and going out.

I want to avoid a huge $$$ bill if I can right now so he suggest holding off on an exterminator since they aren't in the house and there isn't a huge amount swarming outside or attacking people. So I take his advice and the other advice he gives me. I buy two traps from Home Depot that night and hang them in the trees in the back yard. By noon the next day there about 30 in them combined.

Then I take my shop vac and tape the end of the hose about 2 inches away from one of the crevices they are using and turn it on for about 90 minutes. In the bottom of the vac I have about 3 inches of water mixed with Dawn dish soap (which will help break down their exo-skeleton)

After the 90 minutes activity has dropped off to none. I turn it off and check it... about 150 in the bottom dead. I wait till later in the day when more will return to the hive and repeat. Another 150 in the bottom. This morning I see no activity at all. There are some still in there but I cut the number down a huge amount. Didn't get the queens obviously and more of the larva will hatch soon so I will repeat. If i'm wrong and it gets bad i'll call Orkin or someone. But at the same time If I keep them in check they will all die in 3 months and then I can find the next my self and take it out while they are dead and patch the wall. If I can't Orkin's costs are cut in half or more during the winter months if they don't have to kill the hive with live yellow jackets trying to get them.

Little video of some going on the last ride of their lives.

So on Saturday i'm working on the Lexus and Andrea is out back in the yard. When I go back to talk to her and start lunch we both notice some yellow jackets coming out of and into the wall above our bedroom door.

Not good.

I do some research and talk to a friend that worked for a pest control company for a bit years ago.
His advice don't spray anything into the two crevices they are using or block them off that can spook the ones in there and cause them to find other ways to come into and out of the structure. (don't want them using the inside of the house as a way to escape). I need to find the nest. Bad thing, I can't find my scope anywhere and the nest could be in the attic or another part of the house up to 30 feet away. I look up in my attic and do see any action going on so I think they are in the wall very close to where they are coming in and going out.

I want to avoid a huge $$$ bill if I can right now so he suggest holding off on an exterminator since they aren't in the house and there isn't a huge amount swarming outside or attacking people. So I take his advice and the other advice he gives me. I buy two traps from Home Depot that night and hang them in the trees in the back yard. By noon the next day there about 30 in them combined.

Then I take my shop vac and tape the end of the hose about 2 inches away from one of the crevices they are using and turn it on for about 90 minutes. In the bottom of the vac I have about 3 inches of water mixed with Dawn dish soap (which will help break down their exo-skeleton)

After the 90 minutes activity has dropped off to none. I turn it off and check it... about 150 in the bottom dead. I wait till later in the day when more will return to the hive and repeat. Another 150 in the bottom. This morning I see no activity at all. There are some still in there but I cut the number down a huge amount. Didn't get the queens obviously and more of the larva will hatch soon so I will repeat. If i'm wrong and it gets bad i'll call Orkin or someone. But at the same time If I keep them in check they will all die in 3 months and then I can find the next my self and take it out while they are dead and patch the wall. If I can't Orkin's costs are cut in half or more during the winter months if they don't have to kill the hive with live yellow jackets trying to get them.

Little video of some going on the last ride of their lives.

That’s a pretty ingenious solution. Mad props!

Yellow jackets / hornets are some bad mothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom