Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I started way too many projects today but managed to modify a new 40 rear xmember from hadley industries to fit the 45 the frame mounts are wider on the 45 and body mounts are in a different spot
so plate of copper put to work and a little welding and grinding and good to go
Luckily I salvaged the plate of copper from my parents sailboat they used copper plate as the sacrificial anode for some sort of corrosion protection but 1/4 inch copper plate has other uses
ForumRunner_20111226_181443.jpg
ForumRunner_20111226_181501.jpg

Also waiting on glue to dry on the donor sandblasting cabinet so I can hook up the shop vac
Tons of little things waiting on the blaster wish it was bigger but free was the magic word
ForumRunner_20111226_181919.jpg
ForumRunner_20111226_181948.jpg

Did manage to dig thru about five boxes of parts to find these new rear disk brackets from a friend made from stainless and found the tap
These will replace the ones I torched about twenty years ago
ForumRunner_20111226_183615.jpg

My tires arrived today now to get my rims ready
Plan is to blast the rims and try my hand at powdercoating with the free oven from a coworker
ForumRunner_20111229_132307.jpg
ForumRunner_20111229_132346.jpg

rubber meat pron!!

Nice tread!!!! Are those from Iowa?

Ship it whenever TLCA address in blue springs
tires came from a local cruiserhead having a firesafe 33 10.5 bfg mt on procomp rims maybe 25 miles on them 500 and I know I stole em all five

i will get it shipped...sorry for the delay in getting it to you....i have been enjoying your build...getting ready to revive the fj55 build in full force...i have tinkered with it the past 6 months but now it is time to finish it up!

Nice pickup on those rims. I almost got a set a few weeks ago out of Des Moines, but someone beat me to it by a few minutes.

Today we start teardown fj60 axle and clean and prep
ForumRunner_20120107_084010.jpg

When was the last time anyone tore down a donor axle and it was properly rebuilt and not a mess? This axle came from chefs old wagon before we scrapped it this past summer
Nice to clean up something that isn't gross for once
ForumRunner_20120107_091334.jpg

One the best tie rod pullers I've ever used had it for about fifteen years worth every penny
ForumRunner_20120107_092430.jpg

And thank you for assisting me in relocation of said axle last night forgot how heavy they were

NOt much to report for the remainder of the weekend. I'm NOWHERE near as productive as Gumby..
Did get the rear xmember in black epoxy(still need to install), stripped the donor axle and got everything all cleaned up. PUlled the diff out tossed it in a 5 gallon bucket, wrapped the old axle up in saran wrap and tossed it in the pile of housings.
Repainted the stripped knuckles in black epoxy; backing plate deletes; wiper covers, etc, and top part of the new front rotors. I hate when you have nice shiny rotors but that 2 inches where they attach to the wheel bearings assembly is all nasty. Cleaned and painted the wheelbearing housing. Dug out my 2 knuckle rebuild kits and found that I only had ONE knuckle bearing remaining.. So.. Was a bit miffed.. ordered 9 knuckle bearings this morning. Will have 2 spares and enough to do the wagon and the 45.
Did paint an antique milk jug for a buddy as well while i was shooting epoxy. Once knuckle bearings are here I will reassemble. On hold till later in the week.. At least everything is clean and ready.
Did grind the front housing to fit the later birfs.

Nice pickup on those rims. I almost got a set a few weeks ago out of Des Moines, but someone beat me to it by a few minutes.

Sounds like the rims Casey Campbell tried to pick up for me a couple of years ago from colesdad. Big waste of time.:frown:

Keep it going Erik.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Not much to report tonight had a nice chat with chef clearanced a bellhousing for a possible h55 cleaned a bunch of stuff in the blast cabinet and shot stuff to prep for my day off on sunday
ForumRunner_20120113_214256.jpg
ForumRunner_20120113_214316.jpg
ForumRunner_20120113_214346.jpg

Sunday will be the day of progress I hope rebuild knuckles, reinstall rear xmember and install swaybar and rear brakes
ForumRunner_20120113_214523.jpg
ForumRunner_20120113_214624.jpg
ForumRunner_20120113_214652.jpg

Those cleaned up nice!!!

Keep up the progress.

Only question... what is up with the floating paint roller extension pole above the garage door track?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom