to capacitor or not to capacitor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For all you experienced car audio install guys like @landcrshr, should I add a capacitor to my install?

Using a JL xd700/5 amp.

Last edited:
Fun experiment. Hook it up w/out. Really get use to your favorite jams that way for a week or 2. Then if you think you still need a little more low end, buy a cap. See if it sounds better that way. Not difficult to add after the fact if you're diy. Good Luck!

I don't have any actual experience with capacitors for car audio, I've always been skeptical on weather they provide any real benefit. I would think that the greater efficiency of today's class D amplifiers would eliminate any need for a "stiffening" capacitor.

Not necessary with that amp, as long as you run sufficient positive and ground for it.

I am using the v2 version of this amp, with Focal front 6.5 separates and 6.5 rears and a JL sub.

Last edited:
Would a capacitor help with electrical noise from the alternator?

No, a capacitors job is to store energy for when there is a very sudden draw. But most high quality amplifiers have capacitors built in.

Would a capacitor help with electrical noise from the alternator?

Thanks fellas! I’m going to go with out on this one.

Not necessary with that amp, as long as you run sufficient positive and ground for it.

I am using the v2 version of this amp, with Focal front 6.5 separates and 6.5 rears and a JL sub.

What sub are you running?

I have a v1 10w1 I bought in high school around 1998. It’s out of JL power wedge I had in an ‘89 hilux. It was amazing behind the seat...somewhat expecting the 80 to have too much interior air space volume to provide a strong low end.

I’ll be running pioneer 6.5s in front and middle doors. Nothing crazy going on around here.

I had the amp and sub in an Impreza wagon up until a year ago. It was good but I was kinda left wanting on the low end.

Had my eyes on this for a while: JL Audio HO110-W6v3

It was hard to justify when these were $500, even harder at $639

I just have a 10W3 in a custom box. You're right the interior volume of the 80 could use a 12" sub.

box-jpg.590025

box2-jpg.590028

You should get one of these...
175806-flux.jpg

I used to do SPL competitions - dbdragracing. Very high power demands. Large gauge power wire and at worst multiple batteries will do tons more than a capacitor. Caps are dumb.

I hope you pronounce it 'foh-kal'

I ran a capacitor in my Honda CRX back in the day. Had 3 amps pushing two 12's, a single 10 and two 6x9's plus door speakers. Only reason for the cap was every time the bass hit the damn headlights would dim so bad I couldn't see at night. Had no room for additional batteries but I could mount the cap on the side of my bandpass box. Problem solved. I put the same system in a ford explorer a few years later and was able to lose the cap since the electrical system was better.

Electrical system on the LC is far better than a CRX and you're not running a lot of power. Should be fine without unless you bro it out with a ton of light bars.

In my experience “crapacitors” have always been pretty s***ty. If you need the reserve power and want to do it the right way, look into adding a battery as close to the amp as possible. Sound Quest and XS Power are great options that are only slightly more expensive than a capacitor, and a battery might be of more use to you.
On a side note; I personally think anything JL Audio is slightly over engineered and they are #1 in my book as far as quality, so great choice on the amp. For the money (and for the average Joe) I think you pay for the name a little bit but it’s worth the money IMO

I used to do SPL competitions - dbdragracing. Very high power demands. Large gauge power wire and at worst multiple batteries will do tons more than a capacitor. Caps are dumb.

Exactly what my buddy who runs the local 12v / anything vehicle stereo shop says & does on the cars where guys go big on their ICE.

Esp since you can get / add a AGM battery & tuck it anywhere for the price of most of the mid-level farad caps, the caps just don’t pay for themselves, at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom