The TuRDle / My 84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't think so, you could just change the timing to adjust for the altitude. Most likely something not configured quite right on the desmog would be my opinion, but then I know nothing about your particular vehicle really so its all just a guess. I have desmogged mine and it does not have a recurved dizzy and it runs wonderfully and gets better than factory MPG ratings.

Yeah...I couldn't figure the thing out so I sent it there. Guess we'll find out...

Yes, the emissions equipment can be daunting at first, but if you read the desmog threads and go through the FSM emission manuals you can figure it out well enough.

I think after a couple more months of waiting for Jim to recurve the dizzy and then you get it back only to find it not curing the problem is going to cause some grief. You do NOT need the dizzy recurve to make it run well, BUT perhaps your Dizzy has something wrong with it.

Dizzy is new remanufactured one...was working fine. I tried going through manual and desmog threads couldn't figure it out, which is why it's at Redline.

Dizzy is new remanufactured one...was working fine. I tried going through manual and desmog threads couldn't figure it out, which is why it's at Redline.
You don't need the guys at Redline to do the desmog, you have the whole iH8mud community to back you up and provide support. I bet being in Colorado there are LOTS of cruiserheads everywhere that would lend a hand for a beer or two.

If it were me, I would go get my truck and give it another try, but I have more free time on my hands than most people do. Whichever path you choose, I hope you get it running soon.

Yup, been there, done that didn't get the t-shirt. My weekends the last couple years are full of college work which will finally end in December. I've been taking 3-4 classes trying to get that stupid degree done.

The problem with desmog is everyone seems to do it different and I couldn't figure out what the hell needed to be plugged off or ripped out. I probably did 95% of the desmog, but haven't had the time to get it running right, so off to Redline it went.

Like everything else the govt does this emissions stuff is a bunch of s***.

It's going to be cool to drive it again instead of stare at it in the driveway.

Everyone does a basic desmog and then either keeps the HAC or deletes it, some other variances out there, but that covers 90% of them. The desmog shouldn't take you longer than a day to accomplish. Hours if you know what to do. Getting the Air Rail off in one piece and all the EGR stuff off is the hardest part IMO.

I'm curious about the outcome of this desmog issue of yours! I'm a newbie 83 FJ60 owner and am looking at doing the desmog as well. I'm at ~7000ft & up in Flagstaff Az and was wondering about the necessities of the recurve and/or HAC.

Sent the dizzy off yesterday... I'll update the thread whenever that shows back up. My HAC had some ports glued and stuff when I got the truck. Wasn't sure if I should keep it or not. I figured I'd let Redline sort out. I looked at getting a new (well, used one) and they wanted $75 for the friggin' thing.

Well...while it's sitting around waiting for the distributor I thought maybe Justin could fab up some 1/4 panel protection...sent an e-mail off to see what he could come up with :)

The driver side rocker was already crushed by the previous, previous owner, but I have sliders on now to hopefully prevent any further issues...figure the big, sexy quarters should get some love...

So, I got the TuRD back from Redline and its running. They told me to drive it around a bit and let them know if anything needs to be adjusted. Once the choke is in, it idles at 1500 rpm. I haven't driven it in such a long time that I forget what it used to idle at, but I don't think it was that high. What should iit be running at? Desmogged at 6500 ft w/ high although jets...

I like mine at 950...most will say 650-700

yours is high, just bring it in and have them check to make sure the choke is working properly, then have them dial it back a bit. Justin's a good guy...a busy guy, but a good guy.

Yeah mine is dialed in right about 750rpm (the screw in the dial is about that). I have a small vacuum leak somewhere because there will be days that she idles closer to 1k for no apparent reason.

The TuRDle is sold. I've replaced it with an slightly-built 2000 XJ, but don't excommunicate me...as I may be back. I think Woody owns that NAXJA site too so I'm kinda still in the family...

I'm retiring from the Air Force and moving back to PA in mid-June.

AftEr years of searching, I just bought this truck off C-List from a guy in Florida. I live in S. Carolina. I absolutely love it. Needs a few things but not much. Using it for my daily driver, a whopping 2.5 miles each way.

I'm considering removing the locker in the rear. I won't be doing any heavy off-roading and the clicking is pretty annoying on a daily basis.

I'm no mechanic just an absolute die hard fan of the FJ60. Having said that please humor me and tell me if I can add a switch to disengage the locker or do I need to remove it all together?View media item 35098

The name of your truck has been stolen...by me. When the truck you now own disappeared back in '14 I assumed that the name disappeared with it, so I stole your truck's identity. Here's the other Turdle (mine):
IMG_1228.JPG

Good to see your turd brown 60 is still keeping the road hot. Good luck with it...and sorry for the identity theft. It's just such a fitting name I couldn't resist!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom