The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone running the 100 series air-box?

I'm curious about the 100 series box as well.

Dougal, you are speaking about the HDJ100 box, not the UZJ100, correct? How much larger is the 100 series box? Does it fit?

Anyone running one or tried one?

I'm curious about the 100 series box as well.

Dougal, you are speaking about the HDJ100 box, not the UZJ100, correct? How much larger is the 100 series box? Does it fit?

Anyone running one or tried one?

Yes HDJ100. I've never actually seen the engine bay of a UZJ100. The box isn't much bigger than the 80 series, but the flow paths are a lot bigger. It's plastic with a clip on lid (no through bolt) and large exit down from the top.

An internet search pulled up this thread: Cyclonic Air Cleaners for 100 Series?

Middle East UZJ100
mod8.JPG

HDJ100
air-cleaner-jpg.40717

Dougal, are you able to source a 'used' one of these in your neck of the woods? I'd be interested if you're able, or know of someone who might be. I will try contacting a wreckers in S Aus tomorrow as well.

Do you know how much larger the inlet and outlet are? 4"?

Dougal, are you able to source a 'used' one of these in your neck of the woods? I'd be interested if you're able, or know of someone who might be. I will try contacting a wreckers in S Aus tomorrow as well.

Do you know how much larger the inlet and outlet are? 4"?

I think with freight you'd be better to find the part numbers and see if a Toyota dealer can order them in. I don't have any wrecker contacts. I do know a few owners, I'll try to get some measurements. Inlet is huge into the guard. But I'll be able to measure outlet.

I think with freight you'd be better to find the part numbers and see if a Toyota dealer can order them in. I don't have any wrecker contacts. I do know a few owners, I'll try to get some measurements. Inlet is huge into the guard. But I'll be able to measure outlet.

part number for the lid 17705-17151 Amayama has it listed for $49 USD

What is the part number and price for the entire assembly? Checking partsouq, the assembly (top to bottom with filter element) varies from about $290-445USD. From the sound of it, about half of the Moonlight box price. I wonder how "plug n play" the HDJ100 box might be?

What is the part number and price for the entire assembly? Checking partsouq, the assembly (top to bottom with filter element) varies from about $290-445USD. From the sound of it, about half of the Moonlight box price. I wonder how "plug n play" the HDJ100 box might be?

It doesn't look like it would be PnP at all to me (trying to swap to a HDJ81). The intake from the fender to the box is on the front side of the engine in that pic Dougal posted, and in the HDJ81 the intake from the fender comes into the box on the back side of the engine. I think the only hope for easy PnP would be if that lid from the 100 happened to fit the 80's factory filter housing.

Yeah? Definitely not quite plug and play into an 80. You'd have to make brackets at the very least. To retro fit just the lid, you'd be making clips at very least.

Complete assembly is
17700-17211 - amayama list it at $249 USD from UAE plus shipping

It doesn't look like it would be PnP at all to me (trying to swap to a HDJ81). The intake from the fender to the box is on the front side of the engine in that pic Dougal posted, and in the HDJ81 the intake from the fender comes into the box on the back side of the engine. I think the only hope for easy PnP would be if that lid from the 100 happened to fit the 80's factory filter housing.

The top isn't going to swap over. It's a different design with different filter inside. It's all or nothing.

Complete assembly is
17700-17211 - amayama list it at $249 USD from UAE plus shipping

that's great price .. but not even close to PnP .. for us with a safary snorkel will be even worst ..

I've been very happy with my Moonlight Airbox - crazy fast spool with that and a Hallman and awesome induction noise!
View attachment 1343829

So you went with a 4" inlet pipe from your Moonlight snorkel, correct?

Has anyone got one of these Moonlight boxes with a 3" inlet for use with a Safari Snorkel? Would there be enough air movement/flow difference between 3" and 4" to notice honestly? If so, how much difference?

I live at around 5,000 feet above sea level and can get up to 13,000 feet in elevation on the trail. The air is much thinner here. It does make a difference, but how much, I'm not sure. I wish to retain the Safari Snorkel.

Looking for input if there is any to be had. Thanks in advance.

So you went with a 4" inlet pipe from your Moonlight snorkel, correct?

Has anyone got one of these Moonlight boxes with a 3" inlet for use with a Safari Snorkel? Would there be enough air movement/flow difference between 3" and 4" to notice honestly? If so, how much difference?

I live at around 5,000 feet above sea level and can get up to 13,000 feet in elevation on the trail. The air is much thinner here. It does make a difference, but how much, I'm not sure. I wish to retain the Safari Snorkel.

Looking for input if there is any to be had. Thanks in advance.
That's right, 4" snorkel, 4" into airbox, 4" out o airbox and reducing to 3" to suit the turbo with an elbow. I could have kept my old snorkel, they offer a reducer to do that but I was worried about the snorkel flowing well enough so I went 4".

Anyone know what the max cfm is for the XXI airbox? What is the max cfm required to run a Gturbo at 28psi?
Thanks

Anyone know what the max cfm is for the XXI airbox? What is the max cfm required to run a Gturbo at 28psi?
Thanks
It's more than enough for 39psi at 18:1

I'm looking at an S&B box for a Duramax. It has low restriction and flows up to about 1000cfm.

Thanks

Airboxes and filters don't have a max flow. It's more that the pressure drop across them increases exponentially.

So you have to qualify any flow with a pressure drop. Donaldson do this with published curves for their air-filters

Airboxes and filters don't have a max flow. It's more that the pressure drop across them increases exponentially.

So you have to qualify any flow with a pressure drop. Donaldson do this with published curves for their air-filters

It becomes very important for filtration once air speed Across the air filter exceedes around 4m/s (paper or oiled) it starts loosing its ability to filter .

Having a well designed intake helps spool and the feel of the engine as it comes on boost a lot . Which isn't always reflected on the power graph when dynoing . But will show on the boost and afr graph .

I have have just received a moonlight fab airbox for my gturbo gx 1hdt. I am yet to install or order a snorkel, but I intend to go with a safari.

With a custom airbox and/or a snorkel the factory resonator inside the front guard is discarded.

If I install the airbox without a snorkel for now, I will extend the airbox inlet to draw air through the inside of the front guard.

Do I need to consider anything else besides induction noise when running sans resonator and sans snorkle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom