The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20170731_163224112_ios-jpg.1556054

Have you tested for water tight seal under vacuum?

Not intending to make any comparison at all, but I know XXI had issues with water ingress into their air box.

I don't have any plans for making those snorkels. Moonlight's snorkels are awesome, but they require a lot of trimming for install. I have put on a few of them, and they're very functional.

I have a vacuum meter in my setup ( G turbo - 24 PSI - plenty fuel ) with the FZ airbox lid and without air filter the gains are nice .. no further " scientific " was done .. and I still believe with a good air box, good filter improvements would be nice ..

All in all the question is .. would you be able to adapt your air box on request for us crazy believers with Safari snorkels ?

I'm not saying the airbox lid won't help, but when we tested a stock 1FZ lid it was still pulling too much vacuum at the turbo. Granted we were pushing 18psi of boost on a 1HD-FT, it's a bit more hungry then the stock setup.

Yeah I was boosting 20lbs personally.
I was looking at going the panel airbox route with a 4" snorkel.
Just hard to get something like that when I have to buy everything out of Aus that isnt necessary a bolt on fit.
Nor do i have the time to mess with a custom fab.

Maybe anyone interested can get together and do a group buy of Moonlight. I'm sure five orders would be enough to make it worth their while. My work FedEx rates would make shipping reasonable, either to every buyer or reship out in CA. Let me know if anyone is seriously interested. I'm pretty sure my Safari snorkel and airbox are robbing me right now. The inter cooler is great, but I need more air!

Maybe anyone interested can get together and do a group buy of Moonlight. I'm sure five orders would be enough to make it worth their while. My work FedEx rates would make shipping reasonable, either to every buyer or reship out in CA. Let me know if anyone is seriously interested. I'm pretty sure my Safari snorkel and airbox are robbing me right now. The inter cooler is great, but I need more air!

Depending on the time I'm interested.

Why not just go with @torfab air box which it's " local " ?

I'm watching for a price and details on the Torfab offering, it sounds like a solid option.

I'll 2nd that.

Someone post a torfab airbox

Moonlight was $700 aus with probably $150 shipping. Safari snorkel is $700 or so + even more shipping because the large size.
Probably looking at $2k+ after all the duties and taxes settle Canadian.

At this point my airbox will be $600, but I'd be willing to entertain a group buy if I get 10 orders. I only really manufacture this stuff for our own builds so we can speed things up. We are consistently booked out a year, but that's because each build is slow and tedious, even with 7 techs!

At this point my airbox will be $600, but I'd be willing to entertain a group buy if I get 10 orders. I only really manufacture this stuff for our own builds so we can speed things up. We are consistently booked out a year, but that's because each build is slow and tedious, even with 7 techs!

So are these a bolt-in replacement for the OEM airbox, do they require moving or modifying anything under hood? Are all required hoses/hardware/filter element included for that price? Can you post some more pics in an 80 series/1HD-T engine bay?

Finally unboxed my ARC intake. Probably not any functional gain to be had since it will pull air from inside the engine bay, but it will add some engine bay bling, LOL!

l2RbIrmnXTy_jE4JAa7WUN5wecqv7bwRA1xJt-rC5WOufc_q7EECzMLrTIfIzdxu6kwoqCRoyxvcBJZpRPuiOl8csfTLh5uU8Qe0jaI5Z7COWs0Miimy2_fXLBzH6ksm5XeFkgv6zR0ZRBVo9TgiEdbRvek3ytz83jmg0GrSDw6RfYFaCO6SPiVJoO5TMfjk8Jot3KKMM_h28-weRrkmkln68zn4cBrTKnVKgJIJH9AubUvGTUQ6RrAifFEItjQs6uJgvudK6bjbwwJRNzXjT9p86ry37IP2iHVlbF54_zx2Ntb2Zo3OVa9lq95zP2bMPiBmYVxy9FLHryrvVdZ5zNdLbZx8KGqdVFWNmgCp8BvRZJ3h9YOveDiLdzdW3zMwxPHQaxd5AcONCyNdBPPm3Q5Izi1OXJGF2T61wcCKPwl6Ta-uufSUvhhC-Mko1hZxm4dU8eskHMj8BA1Pt-1PW4Y3KMTf603ToUtgQ-dn1_Gd_QZNzfpdvZPhWil2zyL37kGkEtwVwHhSvjVnjUypbwQi834mthn5CAsYO_sGpQbdqsIIc1DRWiKpNJxlsugJ1_xT07h0JtSdfOvF24u2M7UAsthmNcgyhn1O0aQ_HQ=w1360-h1020-no

X7ssk5dvEGIn9YqlGYoTwXLkL5SRLu46rHHWHTc5Mq-HxumeoqMSB5CiHvzSfpeJeiRm7UsiRJI2_pD93caqwzMJidk-AeFcXxKpg96tqQ1K4IWVvKLZEvmHZYi_yEn1xHHaueI6fSzPaacCje4RF4gn5iN_Tat0ajcPTG2NvLxileXw1oc8tIQ_tVfJ0hfopg4thO8oLH-iRdTatkhv_A71hoG5vBQrvpe41tuFkl8yVMaIMdxOcC3TCrbp9E4OTXNwcYdY0Z1NLSbgwRJcMDRVSJypOvplsu0IfPn9MRuzbkiQnZ6Z0Hq4nyqaIt-RAGSTYCkREa2IRXWcqd9CtEMuTfcj7kkP05pORjM3wrcLtYj3PdzjXbZdASqOdezXnm-ioqIOETHUmdvk6_jz2fmynuhKVh33gpXd5CCfy1Es-x55RJitP1k1Beqdd1bYkv7pWkIqjF0KcvbS5Bkph8fsbL7cm0X9i4gD-s3xM7Hcy973R6io0-Fepf2a32bq0LRIJV6sfaaRg4BcT-8TywIKcWu5Hgqy77UnMSlGIWYDRRehNKJN_ci-a0-GOuUGBmFL0ON1rJNtyZxoS-o_a8rabz1TkHRCcAt_foToeA=w1360-h1020-no

Does that one have 2 filters?

I'm slowly thinking about designing an airbox for my 1HDFT 45. I don't think anything off the shelf will work with the narrow 40 series front tho.
A cone filter in a square box will be the easiest, but i like the idea of a panel filter better.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Really Like some of these option though I do think the most economic might be a modern diesel stock retrofit. The donaldson on my troopy is good but still to restrictive for the boost I run.

empirical data would be so nice for comparisons sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom