Builds The M-80: A Ultra 4-Stock Class-Go Fast Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why do you think this would help. I would leave all that stuff stock. This is a ECU controlled FI motor that hardly ever has issues with those systems. Even if you did get an EGR code it doesn't matter to race. I would leave it stock and not mess with it.

Couple of different reasons: The 80 is over 20 years old, wires become brittle, plastic plugs begin to corrode, VCC's do begin to fail and sensors/ECU's will need to be replaced. The 1F is a very reliable engine in factory form, however, it is my belief that in race conditions and taking a constant, substantial, beating these systems are going to fail. What is the problem with converting to propane? I have personal experience with propane systems and there simplicity and reliability is unmatched by an system that has substantial electronics involved. Propane burns substantially cleaner than gasoline, has a much higher octane rating and will run on any angle, through the rough bumps and even upside down without the need of any sensors, fuel pumps, ECU's or wires. When analyzing this from a cost perspective, all of these additional costs need to be factored, sensors, wires and components will all need to be replaced at some point, add that to the cost of the fuel cell, fuel pumps, fittings and filters and you begin to realize the switch to propane makes complete sense. While I would agree that a "street" cruiser would benefit more form a factory fuel injection set up I just don't see the advantage financially or reliability wise that sways me enough to keep the OEM FI. Unless someone with a successful, aftermarket Land Cruiser company was willing to sponsor... :grinpimp:

Subscribed! Very cool build.

I only had about 6 hours to work on it this weekend and got it all stripped down and ready to pull the body off. There really is no that much stuff that has to be disconnected to pull the body off. I took my time and unplugged every plug and broke loose all the brake lines and everything I could for a clean removal. I hate Toyota electrical plugs! I think I only broke 2 which is pretty damn good if you ask me. I also hate brake lines, luckily this thing is unmolested and I was able to get a line wrench on all of them and didn't strip one out! I would say I am very happy with the way everything came apart.

I did weight one of the doors and it came in it 71.4 pounds! The doors and those damn seats are heavy, I bet I lost damn near 500-600 pounds just in that stuff. I have to go to Seattle this week for work so I won't have time for a week or so to get back on it and yank the body off, but that is the next step.

Told you that stuff was heavy!
I see a head liner, a roof lamp, dash pad, steering wheel, speakers, and a sunroof still! Pull it!

This will sound really really anal to most people but you should relocate that water bottle as far back as possible.

Then you need this: http://www.braillebattery.com/

And you need to locate it either A: in the rear in it's own box (for safety) or as far back in that engine bay as possible.

You want the weight in-between the axles not over.

Are you required to have lights?

I'm going to read your requirements today. :)

You've actually inspired me to start building my own racer!

Told you that stuff was heavy!
I see a head liner, a roof lamp, dash pad, steering wheel, speakers, and a sunroof still! Pull it!

This will sound really really anal to most people but you should relocate that water bottle as far back as possible.

Then you need this: http://www.braillebattery.com/

And you need to locate it either A: in the rear in it's own box (for safety) or as far back in that engine bay as possible.

You want the weight in-between the axles not over.

Are you required to have lights?

I'm going to read your requirements today. :)

You've actually inspired me to start building my own racer!

Yes, we are required to have the lights plus they must function. There is still a ton of stuff to remove, my main focus was just getting it the point where I could get the body off the frame.

Unfortunately not a lot of progress in the last week, I took my wife to Seattle for spring break, I don’t know who’s idea it was to go to Seattle for spring break, but it was a dumb idea, should have went to Mexico or at least someplace warm. Oh well live and learn…
I did receive a bunch of great parts to make us go really fast from one of our great sponsors, RuffStuff Specialties. These guys build some of the beefiest brackets in the industry plus they are huge advocates of the Ultra 4 racing series and just all around good people. Please check out their website and if you need anything they sell, tell them you saw it here on my build thread! I received lots of great brackets and tabs to build the suspension plus all the rod ends for the links and steering. These rod ends are huge! 1.25” ends for the upper and lower links; I don’t see these getting destroyed, ever!
I had big plans to pull the body off the frame on Sunday but it snowed about 8” and I had to put it off until this weekend. So I’ll be plenty busy this weekend and really looking forward to getting everything stripped and most of all cleaned! 20+ years of grease and gunk on this thing really make it unpleasant to work on, I can’t wait until it get it all cleaned up.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/
[/URL
]
[URL=http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/jasondginn/media/The%20M-80%201993%20FZJ80/8ACB990A-7B21-439D-B1E7-77AD43CAC550.jpg.html] [/URL
]
[/URL]

Quick update, the weather here has not been helping out much, it has been raining or snowing every weekend for the past 2 weeks. I have been continuing to strip down the interior and body and hopefully I will get the body off this weekend. Once I get all this soccer mom crap stripped out I really want to go weigh it again to see where I am at, if I have time. I have all the wiring removed, the interior stripped down and glass out of just about everywhere. I ended up trading my e-locker axles for non e-locker axles and I am going to weld up the rear and run a ARB up front. Housings should be here in about 2 weeks. :smokin:

Well another weekend of s*** weather. :mad3:
I think I now have everything off the body, I pulled the fender flares, removed all the glass, back doors, dash & did a bunch more measuring and thinking (drinking) on the suspension. I think I have a good game plan for it now, just need to get the damn body off so I can start cutting on s***.
I had to get my boat out and de-winterized it, oil changed and wheel bearings repacked for trip to Havasu in a week and a half! :flipoff2:

So thats what the dash bar looks like.

Finally had a nice weekend where I could get the body off! Now the fun begins.

This is how you get the underside of the chassis clean!

Stupid F'ing exhaust...

Anyone ever realize the engine/trans is offset to the driver side by about 2"

That PHH is easy to get too!

I never realized the tcase and trans vents dump back into the trans dipstick?

Fun to watch. Boy, it would have been soooo much easier to install my sliders with the body off...

Amazing how simple the thing looks with the body off. Wish I could do that each time I needed to work on the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom