The Great ONSC Gun Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have ideas on a bun safe brand that is a good value - I can't break the bank. We are moving to a new home and I will need a safe.

Some stuff from CList I thought would be amusing:

If only this was a safe, it would be fun:

Pepsi machine safe 275 OBO

Lots of stuff here:

Selling my Shop out

This looks like about the right size - I don't have many buns, but I do have a lot of ammo :\

Gun Safe

I currently have a Fortress and while it has been a good safe I don't have any attachment to the name. I do, however, have a couple tips .... I began with a smaller 24 bun safe and, like you, did not fill it with buns but rather ammo. The things I didn't like about the old safe .... hinges on the inside so the door could not swing all the way open, it was short (60 inches) and with one side filled with long buns I ran out of ammo shelving quick. So when I got the fortress I was sure to get exterior hinges, a wide body, and one that is tall (72 inches). The extra height was a major win in my book. It calls itself a 60 bun safe but that's a ridiculous number once the ammo goes in. All this is to say get bigger if you can!

BTW ... the best online deal I found was with Walmart. Free delivery and the guy put it right where I wanted it.

I do like that the Fortress electric lock allows me to program combinations up to 8 digits long rather than just 4.

Last edited:
that pepsi machine would actually make a good safe, no one would suspect it, especially if you had a few signs on the wall next to it. just mod the inside.

Anyone have ideas on a bun safe brand that is a good value - I can't break the bank. We are moving to a new home and I will need a safe.

I highly recommend Drake Safes. They are a little pricey, but very well built. Drake is local to me in Roxboro, but will deliver anywhere. He has several models available with varying sizes and options, and will custom build whatever you want. I'm very happy with my Drake Safe.

We are now leaning toward under the bed storage, due to lack of room. The alternative would be to bolt down a safe out in the shed, and I just don't like the sound of it :(

Underbed safe? Nice. Just dont get a memory foam mattress :D
IMG_3704.PNG

For storing ammo, look into a 4 drawer fireproof file cabinet or 4 drawer fireproof lateral file cabinet. Places like Unique Office Solutions or other used commercial furniture vendors have them. It wont be stolen, cause it will take several people to place it when its empty. Its generic looking, doesnt look like a safe, and is practically bombproof. You can even put some of your documents in there too.

I missed out on one at work that was going to cost me a few hundred to move. I didnt have the room for it in the garage at that time. I kick myself about that one...

I figured that this thread was the place to talk about Las Vegas. I am a gun owner, I like to shoot. I like shooting trap and other shotgun sports, I like plinking with my 22 Henry and I like target shooting with pistols. I am fortunate that I can do all three on my own property. I hear enough gun fire to know some around me enjoy the same.

My first experience with guns was at the kitchen table with my father, he broke down his snub nose 38 and explained to me that the only thing this gun is good for is close up self defense. It's intention was for killing humans, bad humans that were threatening your life directly. I was introduced to other firearms as life went on. I've never considered shooting another human other than preparing for a self defense scenario. I feel that it is better to prepare for such a situation and be familiar with my weapon of choice rather than trying to defend my family or myself with a weapon I am not familiar with, logical. I am not a member of the NRA as I do not believe in all their positions.

Yet, here I sit, wondering if some sort of gun control might be the only way to possibly slow down the number of mass shootings that seem to be a national problem. There are those that argue that more people are killed annually by knives and alcohol, and although true these statistics are just a diversion to the issue at hand. The tools used by mass killers are firearms. We've all heard and made the arguments for why we are "allowed" to own guns. Its our RIGHT, says so in our constitution. That does not give us a free pass to ignore facts. Less guns on the street equates to less death. Like it or not.

So what am I, a legal gun owner that likes to shoot to do? We have to do something. What we are doing obviously is not working. Do we follow Australia's lead? They certainly have the statistics to back it up, but I can not imagine trying to implement a similar program here in the states. After all, it's our right. I have a concealed carry permit. I had to take classes and pass both written and shooting tests to get it. I take having a weapon on me very serious. I do this because we live in a society where the bad guys carry guns, my pocket knife is of little use in a self defense scenario.

I am rambling. I am rambling because as a "gun person" I feel that I am somehow "involved". We as a society have to do something and I have no clue what that something is.

Yet, here I sit, wondering if some sort of gun control might be the only way to possibly slow down the number of mass shootings that seem to be a national problem. There are those that argue that more people are killed annually by knives and alcohol, and although true these statistics are just a diversion to the issue at hand. The tools used by mass killers are firearms. We've all heard and made the arguments for why we are "allowed" to own guns. Its our RIGHT, says so in our constitution. That does not give us a free pass to ignore facts. Less guns on the street equates to less death. Like it or not.

This is the part where you're mistaken. If you look at the real statistics "more guns" has made us safer in recent years. Also firearms are not the tools used by most mass killers. This recent one is terrible and one of the worst ones but if you look at mass killings around the world (and even in the US) the worst ones are often with other methods.
This "national problem" is not as widespread as it's made to sound. The statistics on that are twisted too.

I have the same desire to prevent future evil idiots from harming innocent people. I really want to find effective things we can do just not jump to certain agendas we'll all be hearing about for the near future.

I think this deserves it's own thread not to clog up this useful one and I'd also much rather discuss/debate this after people have time to grieve (and learn the facts) instead of contributing to sensationalizing a tragedy or giving fame to a sick individual.

Last edited:
No we do not follow Australia, btw. Mandatory buy backs of assault weapons? OMGawd that would be bad.

Gun buyback program - Wikipedia

I might sell one AR for the right to buy a 70, though - my resolve has its limits, ya know? I would have to quickly by an AR, first, as I am not giving up my only one. Australian law made them all illegal and then you had to either hold them illegally or sell them back. After a few years, it became just illegal with no payback.

NPR, Freakanomics and other relatively centrist or left-leaning programs have some great info on this, if you don't trust the more "right" input.

BTW - it all supports Sean's input above :)

How to Think About Guns: A New Freakonomics Radio Podcast - Freakonomics

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

Guns

Just picked up a nice 1972 12gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster today for $100. Also I've got a buddy who just had a death in the family and because of that financial stress is looking to part with his new Century Arms Vz2008 Czech AK with Magpul parts, folding stock, and vertical foregrip for only 500. He got it new from Cabela's for a little over 800 and has only put close to 60 rounds through it.

Want that. But the wife would use it against me. Figuratively and possibly literally.

I will be going to a met and greet of some CFF members, north of Statesville on Saturday. First time banging steel at 300yards ...if I can manage to hit an 8in plate from that far....

Want that. But the wife would use it against me. Figuratively and possibly literally.

You don't have to tell her the gun safe combo. Just say'n.

This guy in Las Vegas - - purchased 33 guns in one year. What is wrong with limiting gun purchases to five per year? Who really needs 33 guns in one year?

But there's no telling how many of those got traded in or resold, possibly starting and ending with just one. No different than you and your vehicle purchases, for example. Or your guns...

EDIT: Yes, I know that it's unlikely that THIS GUY did anything but keep every one he purchased, but there are plenty of people who buy/trade/repeat.

Just picked up a nice 1972 12gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster today for $100. Also I've got a buddy who just had a death in the family and because of that financial stress is looking to part with his new Century Arms Vz2008 Czech AK with Magpul parts, folding stock, and vertical foregrip for only 500. He got it new from Cabela's for a little over 800 and has only put close to 60 rounds through it.

I shot a 1957 16 Gauge 870 Wingmaster as my shotgun until a couple years ago - loved it!

But there's no telling how many of those got traded in or resold, possibly starting and ending with just one. No different than you and your vehicle purchases, for example. Or your guns...

Very different - my vehicle purchases are not new vehicles - they are used vehicles. Same with any guns I have bought.

I don't care about the secondary market, the black market, the grey market or anything but retail sales. If you are trading in 32 guns you bought in retail, losing $X per trade in or sale, then "economically" you are crazy and it should point to the fact that you have bad intentions.

If you are Bill Gates and you just got into guns and you want to buy a new 1200 piece gun collection at auction, then so be it - - not covered over the gun cap I propose above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom