The Earthquake Thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JohnVee

SILVER Star
Threads
Did anybody else feel their house shake around 8:00am today?

5.1 magnitude near Sparta, NC, just NW of Winston. 126 miles from Charlotte.

I guess I could've put this in chat but it's not everyday I get the chance to start an earthquake thread!

Last edited:
Kids felt it, I didn’t. We jokingly said it must have been an earthquake and everyone laughed.

Affirmative. Good roar for 30seconds with 10-12 seconds of shake at the end. 8:08 here

That was an unexpected way to start the day here in the Triad.

Reading reports it was felt all the way in Richmond, VA and Columbia, SC.

5.1 is the biggest quake in NC since another 5.1 in 1916!

Felt as far away as Ohio, Pittsburgh, PA, atlanta, and myrtle beach.

out of everything I thought I'd be dealing with first thing this morning, an earfquake was not one of them. our dog freaked out at the 457am one by barking and yelping. woke me up, and I figured he needed to go outside . he didnt want to come in and I couldnt figure that out.

Felt it here in Raleigh. Said it was an earthquake at the time and my wife thought I was crazy.

Oops, I made a thread exact same time you did. Yep, fun morning here.

We were making breakfast for guests and didn't notice! When you live in a 1912 home, you probably subconsciously just assume it is more issues with the house :p

Felt it in Durham. Very subtle bed wobble. I told the cat to get lost...wife was like - she’s outside.

I was sitting the exact spot I was back in April when the tree whacked the house. Felt similar but more intense; maybe 5 seconds of shaking. The noise started first and lasted about as long; sounded like a few people dancing and falling down on my roof. I swore I was hearing my new rafters shatter, too! Went outside and was confused that nothing was on my house. A woman walking by looked at me like I was nuts when I explained what I just experience. She said she didn't feel a thing.

Just got back from a bike ride, house by me has water gushing out of its front yard by water meter. Guessing not a coincidence. Owner was on the phone.

Definitely felt it here in SW Wake County! Wife and I were having coffee and things just started swaying, I looked to see if maybe it was a big wind gust, no trees or shrubs were moving. I told her, this is an earthquake! We smiled in wonderment, then I held out hoping the Shearon Harris nuclear reactor alarm wouldn't go off. Admittedly, that would have been a very 2020 thing...

Looked under the bed to see what the hell ,was pushing on my mattress. Then said must be an earthquake.

surprised the dogs and i slept through it. Didnt feel anything

FB_IMG_1596995600923.jpg

We are vacationing in West Jefferson, maybe 20 miles from Sparta. We were awoken this morning with rumbling and the whole house shaking. We jumped up and ran outside to see what was going on. Crazy! The people that know about these things say that there will likely be more.

Hurricane and earthquake in the same week ...and I slept through both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom