The Clean Cruiser Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sponger16

Nathan S.
Threads
Hi guys,

Here is some info on our project. Our team, based in Paso Robles, California, is comprised of three members all early Toyota Land Cruiser enthusiasts. We are in the process of restoring two rare Toyota Land Cruisers and converting them to SVO (straight vegetable oil) systems. After the restorations and conversions are complete, we plan on driving the trucks from Paso Robles, California to Panama. We will be filming and produce a web-based video series which will focus on the vehicles, the culture of each country we travel through, the waves we catch, carbon neutrality, biofuels and environmental stewardship.

We will be showcasing our vehicles, as well as our sponsors at three of the most significant vehicle expos in the United States next year:

Overland Expo West (Flagstaff, AZ) *2018 & 2019
International Off-Road Expo (Pomona, CA)
SEMA (Las Vegas, NV)

We will be leaving for our two month trip to Panama right after the 2019 Overland Expo West (end of May). We would like to have at least one truck and trailer ready for our first Overland Expo in May of 2018 and both trucks ready for SEMA in Las Vegas this year.

We have a significant line up of interviews via podcast, blog, and magazine (Overland Journal) lined up for next year as well. Several of our product sponsors will be featuring our expedition on their blogs and social media sites as well.

Below are a few examples of our short films.

I expect we will be leaning heaving on you guys for advice through this project. I hope you enjoy to "see this fish and watch him drown!" -David Dudley

The Clean Cruiser Project

www.CleanCruiserProject.com

xRHyNj8aydyEBpqpZE0kdFooR_ary4N3K7d0m6TJAe-gJFS12-KWZT2N_DxJ-HKp81hkPIDgVJKkqlwuTXJI7ZO9eG5NOENGggIN0Ck-BHfCg5RWdLGpveWi8ETuvPEdBA=s0-d-e1-ft

Sounds like fun.
When you say bj40,are you running the B engine?Being from Canada and have been playing with diesels for 20 yrs, the B engine is underpowered.
I’ve been installing n running waste cooking oil for 10 yrs on 3B,1HZ,1HDT,2LTE,1KZTE,Mitsu Delicas,Pajeros n ford 7.3 powerstrokes.

Sounds like fun.
When you say bj40,are you running the B engine?Being from Canada and have been playing with diesels for 20 yrs, the B engine is underpowered.
I’ve been installing n running waste cooking oil for 10 yrs on 3B,1HZ,1HDT,2LTE,1KZTE,Mitsu Delicas,Pajeros n ford 7.3 powerstrokes.

Well actually my partners is a 1979 BJ40 with the B motor from Costa Rica not sure were it came from originally and mine is the BJ42 1982 with the 3B. Are you saying the B motor will be under powered with the vegetable oil or just that all B motors are under powered.

I’ve 3 and know of a rusty one that needs work if anyone interested

I don’t notice any less power with veg oil,I think a B motor without turbo will be underpowered if you are making this trip all loaded up on the highway.
It all depend on how fast you want to go.
I don’t like driving a 3B without turbo on the highway,hard to climb hills.

Everyone is so scared of the B being slow. It’s is...but it’s not worthless. I drove mine loaded up to Colorado last summer from Texas. Normal grade roads I cruised at 58-60. Now if you need to go up a long steep grade you will be running at 3,000rpm holding 25Mph. Most of the backroads I took speed limits were 30mph due to curvy roads up the passes so I didn’t feel left behind by modern cars.
I’m running 33” tires.
Having said that I wouldn’t dare tackle I70 through the mountains.

I have travel around Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama with my BJ40 since I was 18, no regret at all; slow? Yes, 70-90 KPH but it ALWAYS gets where I want. The only thing that I cannot save or defend from it, is that I get tired when driving it on a long trip, my friends with BJs say the same.

Good video, I really liked it.
I have a story on a Land Rover like that, my uncle used to have one and we were going through the highway, getting closer to a toll and he started preparing the money to pay and suddenly we started to see a Tyre with the whole axle shaft rolling next to us and we were like "JESUS! Look! hahah who knows who that rim belongs to" and as soon as my uncle started braking the car it hit the floor horribly! it was ours! hahaha
Sorry for my bad english

Last edited:
Hi mauricioR,do you live in costarica?
I’ve a friend that live in San Mateo,he found me through Facebook few months ago after we lost contact with each other for 20 yrs

Hi mauricioR,do you live in costarica?
I’ve a friend that live in San Mateo,he found me through Facebook few months ago after we lost contact with each other for 20 yrs

Yes I do, I had to pass through San Mateo couple of weeks ago, warm place. I am from Santa Ana.

Only harder thing than driving a 40 series for long distances is a motor bike. Good luck. You might want to consider an air ride seat option. Or a personal but masseur.

I would not drive a 40 even from Panama to San Jose CR .. ( yeah I'm getting old )

I did it from San Jose CR to David Panama, long trip on a 40. :steer: 400kms one way.

I daily drive my 42 april to november for the last 3 years , for the long drive , i like to take small road as much as I can , I plan my trip will take twice the time compare to the same trip with a car. , it give me time for rest stop to stretch the legs and look if anything got loose or leak, you get use to it . Now when im driving a car , it feel so confortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom