The Catamaran is getting a new Boat anchor (5.3L Vortec) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it may be more than that...you'll have to make sure the input and out speed sensors aren't on the tranny and in the GM tcase. Although, i believe stealth conversions makes a solution for the 4l60e.....maybe someone more familiar with the 4l60e can chime on input/output speed readings in 2wd vs 4wd applications?

Yeah, I think you will come out cheaper selling it and buying a 2wd trans. Not sure if the wiring harness will need to be modified.

Balls! Well thanks to y'all I now know this information... Maybe I can find a junk yard that'd be willing to trade... Fingers crossed! I think it would be easier to start with a 2wd trans than having to disassemble the trans and install a shaft...

Be careful about the transmission you source. Apparently there were a few different types of even a given transmission (4l60e, etc) some using different harnesses, some PWM some not, etc.

an anchor is a horrible analogy for an engine, just fyi :p
I realize that but the 4.0 in it and the A440f behind it are essentially boat anchors at this point... The tranny shot out and the engine, well let's just say with the amount of oil I was burning I'm sure there aren't any Mosquitos in my neighborhood any more

Last edited:
Pulse width modulation.

Pulse width modulation.
I'm using the motor from a 2005 GMC Envoy, hoping to find a same year tranny from a 2wd truck, since the envoy was 4wd and I don't feel like swapping the output shaft and risking ruining the trans that is in perfect condition... If I could only stop working 12 hr days I might get some time to call the salvage yard...

I seem to remember even in the same year you can't assume the 4l60e from one model of truck is the same as another. Meaning a 2005 GMC Sierra 4l60e might not be compatible with a 2005 GMC envoy 4l60e control system.

Some stuff like the gear indicator switch is easy to swap. Other stuff like PWM is not.

Point is.. You need to do your research and find out exactly which models of vehicle are compatible with your ECU/PCM and tell them that's what you need. "A 2005 2wd 4l60e" might not be good enough for your search.

I'm using the motor from a 2005 GMC Envoy, hoping to find a same year tranny from a 2wd truck, since the envoy was 4wd and I don't feel like swapping the output shaft and risking ruining the trans that is in perfect condition... If I could only stop working 12 hr days I might get some time to call the salvage yard...

I realize you don't want to swap the shafts.. but it really isn't that difficult. Most of the stuff comes out in units. You do not have to break into the clutches or anything. Might take any hour or so.

I realize you don't want to swap the shafts.. but it really isn't that difficult. Most of the stuff comes out in units. You do not have to break into the clutches or anything. Might take any hour or so.

Hey thanks this is great news! The motor and tranny I have will both be coming out of the same vehicle as a unit and if I can I'd like to use them together. Looking at it under the envoy the tranny looks identical to the 2wd trans with a Xfer case in place of the tail housing. Still some research to be done about the speed sensors, but does anyone know of a place to source a 2wd output shaft?

Hey thanks this is great news! The motor and tranny I have will both be coming out of the same vehicle as a unit and if I can I'd like to use them together. Looking at it under the envoy the tranny looks identical to the 2wd trans with a Xfer case in place of the tail housing. Still some research to be done about the speed sensors, but does anyone know of a place to source a 2wd output shaft?
The cases are the same from a dimension and bolt pattern perspective. I have a 2wd shaft that I pulled out of a 2005 Tahoe. I had to replace it with a custom shaft for my 69 K10 swap. I am not sure of it's shape or location. I know it is in my shop. I will look this weekend to see if I can find it. It will have the reductor wheel on the shaft. I might have a sensor laying around as well. I will check and let you know.

Last edited:
Sonnax will make the reluctor ring to slip onto the bottom assembly. Same thing as I am doing to my 4l80e. Most likely the cases will be the same, so there will be a place to slip in the speed sensor, which is easily sourced.

The lm4 does have a different harness, but not sure how complicated mating another 4l60e would be ls1tech should be able to tell you better than anyone.

I'm curious as to why a 4L65E is not being sought out? Didn't that tranny come out of a truck or some such thing?

The cases are the same from a dimension and bolt pattern perspective. I have a 2wd shaft that I pulled out of a 2005 Tahoe. I had to replace it with a custom shaft for my 69 K10 swap. I am not sure of it's shape or location. I know it is in my shop. I will look this weekend to see if I can find it. It will have the reductor wheel on the shaft. I might have a sensor laying around as well. I will check and let you know.

Sweet! Pm me and let me know what you need out of them if you find them... Or just the shaft speed sensor shouldn't be too hard to source from rock auto...

Sonnax will make the reluctor ring to slip onto the bottom assembly. Same thing as I am doing to my 4l80e. Most likely the cases will be the same, so there will be a place to slip in the speed sensor, which is easily sourced.

The lm4 does have a different harness, but not sure how complicated mating another 4l60e would be ls1tech should be able to tell you better than anyone.

So far LS tech has gotten me in the right direction wiring wise... And they told me that a shaft swap wouldn't do too much to my wiring...

I'm curious as to why a 4L65E is not being sought out? Didn't that tranny come out of a truck or some such thing?

not sure myself, I just am trying to use what I have since I got a whole vehicle for $800 and there is a 4L60e inside of it already... I would guess it's because of the amount of 4L60's out there...

If the output shaft is the same early vs late, the reluctor ring could simply be pressed on. I know the reluctor ring is available from GM (btdt).

My post to the 3FE owners check in and my plans finally pinned down for this ole boat

91 FJ 80 serial number 1000... Thought that was kind of cool...

East central Kansas...
Bone stock 297,xxx miles on the old boat, well everything but the stereo...
Bought it from a doctor in 2013 who was the original owner making me the lucky second owner (woo Hoo)
31x10.50x15 factory wheels (mini truck SR5 wheels)

Tranny went out 2 months ago and the ole 3fe is getting to where I kill the mosquitos in the neighborhood so I'm going this route: LS conversion (LM4 from an '05 GMC Envoy)
4L60E (from same GMC Envoy)
Factory HF2A case via "marks adapter"
Part time 4wd via "part time kit" from marks^^
Wheel bearings and trunion bearings/birf flip
Roof rack- PrInSu Design Studio - 80 series roof rack
Haven't decided where to go on the lift..... (Will decide after motor is between the rails)
Wheels and tires still up in the air... Might stay stock wheels and paint them and just go bigger on tire size
Home made rear disc conversion (have made several on mini trucks for crawling)
Home made front and rear bumpers
Home made custom grill with a 40's "Toyota" badging
Seats are going to be covered in urban upland rip stop Camo (red, black, OD green, and grey)
3 tone paint jobber (top) desert tan (mid) factory maroon (OD green) might match the Camo seats with a
matching Camo paint job haven't decided yet...
That's stage 1.....
Stage 2
Forced induction to feed the LS
Roof top tent
Expedition camping trailer
Im sure there will be more.......

Started a build thread to basically keep myself motivated, right now I'm in parts gathering mode. I have the motor and trans just, ordered adapter and part time kit and roof rack. Need to do all that so I can decide on lift/ wheels and tires/possible re-gear

Really sad to see the ole 3FE go but to be able to tow my crawler to and from the trail with another yota, and FJ80 at that would just be the coolest ever!! By the way I plan on getting pix started soon for my build thread if you want to follow along... Going slow right now but planning on having stage one done before winter showed up again...
Build thread - The Catamaran is getting a new Boat anchor (5.3L Vortec)

Thanks for any advise and help ahead of time... Lol

So far LS tech has gotten me in the right direction wiring wise... And they told me that a shaft swap wouldn't do too much to my wiring...

If you've got a thread going on over there, post a link here so we can see what they're saying. Thanks!

If you've got a thread going on over there, post a link here so we can see what they're saying. Thanks!
No thread just been talking back and forth with a guy through Ls1tech through Facebook if I start one which I may, I will definitely Poag one... Haven't made a profile on the actual LS1tech site yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom