The Catamaran is getting a new Boat anchor (5.3L Vortec) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the hood popped off so I can see what I'm doing...

image.jpeg
I know chiton isn't the way to go but for pulling all this out I figured it wouldn't hurt, until my FSM's show up...
image.jpeg
Got several sets of 6 lug rims if anyone is interested I plan on posting up in classifieds soon like 6 diff sets and 1 half set... Plus I will have 2 GMC Envoy rims and tires up for grabs at some point too...
image.jpeg

I have a suggestion on your trans problem get a 05 4l65e and use a np203 gearbox adapted to a Land Cruiser split case as I'm doing in my build do not need to have drive shaft work and as far as linkage I'm using using a 3 cable shifters to operate the two transfer cases and Drilling and tapping the extension housing for my speed sensor and you can use the 4 wheel drive transmission instead of a 2 wheel drive. if you have any questions just ask a lot is posted on my build thread

I have a suggestion on your trans problem get a 05 4l65e and use a np203 gearbox adapted to a Land Cruiser split case as I'm doing in my build do not need to have drive shaft work and as far as linkage I'm using using a 3 cable shifters to operate the two transfer cases and Drilling and tapping the extension housing for my speed sensor and you can use the 4 wheel drive transmission instead of a 2 wheel drive. if you have any questions just ask a lot is posted on my build thread

I think I'm gonna keep with my current plan. A buddy works for certified Trans and told me he could get the shaft at cost for me. And would come over and help swap it out... Trying to make do with what I have since I got my motor and tranny for cheap... With preliminary totals I should be able to get this whole conversion done just under 5k... Thanks for the suggestion though

Last edited:
Got these beautiful pieces of paper today! Glad to finally have a real copy and not a bits and pieces copy that I tried to download... Woo hooo!

image.jpeg

Well I placed my order with marks for my 4l60e to hf2a adapter... And went ahead and got the part time conversion for her, figured I may save a lil on gas (fingers crossed) by doing so... Not sure if anyone else has done it or not but I got their LS to 80 cooling conversion hoses too... Hopefully that wasn't a waste of funds... Came with new PHH hoses which is something I haven't done in the 3 years I've owned my 80 so I figured I better since she is getting a new egg plant err I mean powerplant

Also, and I'll post pix tonight, I got the donor vehicle to my place and in the garage.

Ordered my 2wd 4l60e output shaft, it's coming with the reluctor ring already pressed on, woo hoo!

nice, keep up the updates! i'm watching attentively...

Moving somewhat slow right now but once I have all the big pieces I will start posting pictures of what I'm doing... Basically just working on tear down of both vehicles right now and mostly labeling wiring harness from the 80 and going to pull power-plant, then label and pull doner power-plant then the frankenstine with a lil refinement begins

1) There she is an LM4 out of a 2005 Gmc Envoy Denali
image.jpeg

2) not a bad looking donor
image.jpeg

3) even the front looks alright
image.jpeg

4) well now this is why I got it for $800
image.jpeg

Note: if you look closely at pix 2&4 you will see there is no rear axle... This was not fun when it came to getting it on a trailer and trying to get it in the garage... Thankfully my cousin has a skid steer...

If anyone plans on doing an LS/vortec swap, stay away from anything with Displacement on demand (LH6 vin code M) unless you intend to keep it active in your cruiser... It's going to cost me another $700 bucks to delete this from my motor. Texas Speed makes a kit for the delete including everything you need other than the PCM flash/tune, on a side note the kit I'm getting comes with a new cam, in the LS9 flavor...

If anyone plans on doing an LS/vortec swap, stay away from anything with Displacement on demand (LH6 vin code M) unless you intend to keep it active in your cruiser... It's going to cost me another $700 bucks to delete this from my motor. Texas Speed makes a kit for the delete including everything you need other than the PCM flash/tune, on a side note the kit I'm getting comes with a new cam, in the LS9 flavor...

Is this the "drop two cyl during low demand mode" dealio?

Is this the "drop two cyl during low demand mode" dealio?
Yeah but 4 cylinders by the way of a high pressure oil system that collapses the 2 piece lifter and closes the valves making the air in the cylinders that are deactivated act as a sort of "air spring" improving fuel Econ...

On a positive note I found out this motor is basically the gen 4 LS7, so it has crazy high flowing heads. With the DOD Delete kit I'm getting I have the option to us the LS9 cam shaft which will take my LH6 from 315hp/350tq to 340hp/380tq so I'm not terribly sad I have to do it just sucks cause of the cost associated (since I'm trying to keep the build under 5k). That's just the prelim numbers, Texas speed said a good performance tune can get numbers closer to 350hp/400tq... And since I plan on adding a SC a few years down the road this PIG is gonna be one gnarly sleeper!! Texas speed said The Eaton SC (I want now but have to wait) is capable of pushing this thing over 500hp if I buy the entire package... Imagine a FJ80 with 500 ponies, drool!!!!!!

Is the DOD option not viable for our 80 series? I thought maybe some MPG could be realized if this option was retained but don't know what all is involved and it's not worth the effort apparently.

The oil pan has to go and have to put an F body pan on. There is a valve inside the pan that has to do with the oil pressure and once the pan is swapped out it basically commands max oil pressure from the high flow pump causing the lifters that collaps to stay collapsed and keeping the cylinders deactivated... So DOD delete is needed to even use this motor as a V8 if not its just a big awkward and weird LS 4 banger...lol

Plus the early versions of the DOD (2005-2008) now called Active Fuel Management (2008 - present) were temperamental and caused GM some real headache, I just want the power I really don't care about the Economy that could be gained... I only drive the rig on the weekends and when the snow gets to flying... Plus the plan is to tow my mini truck crawler with it as well, Toy towing a Toy...

We should take bets on how soon youll need to beef up the tranny. Isn't that the oil pan that has axles going thru it?

Noted for Colorado swaps, stay away from active fuel management motors.

Are you going to tune yourself or send to someone else to do it?

We should take bets on how soon youll need to beef up the tranny. Isn't that the oil pan that has axles going thru it?

Noted for Colorado swaps, stay away from active fuel management motors.

Are you going to tune yourself or send to someone else to do it?
i'm putting in a shift kit and new torque converter, also a 300M output shaft just for a little bit of insurance.
Correct that is the Oil pan that has the front axle passing through it but I am able to put an F body oil plan on it, but when I move that will pan currently on it I lose the high-pressure oil regulator that controls the active fuel management system.
I have not decided on how I'm going to tenet whether I take it to someone or if I buy HP tuners and do it myself based on cost right now I'm not worried about that until I get to that point, I still haven't got drivetrains pulled out of both vehicles to start doing the motor and transmission work on the donor motor yet. Been working a lot lately because our staff is shorthanded so I'm only getting about two hours a night to deal with it and I had a bunch of graduations going on this weekend so that stuff and family is a little in the way it'll be done eventually maybe a year from now LOL

You can easily delete the fuel management, get a good tuner and no probs.

I ran a 4L60e, ran it hard, real hard and it never gave me an issue.

Cheers
Right but. With everything involved I wanT the 2 piece lifters out of there. THE 2005 had Some temperamental issues with the lifters and th DOD delete kit I'm going with comes with a cam an new lifters...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom